Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
garrattmaker

"lost wax" filament

Theres is some "lost wax" filament on the market - with 3mm...

I'm wondering about 2.85mm ?

Is there any experiences with wax ore "wax similar" filament?

I want to print items for metal casting for my live steam loco models.

( see Facebook: "Garrattmaker")

?type=3

No, I just tried Moldlay and it works. It prints good and the casts come out nice, so why try others... I don't cast myself, but let a professional do it, it takes good equipment to cast a detailled print (with vacuum conditions) and he doesn't have a problem with it. Casting does work with normal PLA as well, but the temperature to burn the PLA must be higher.

I used MoldLay and the wax filament from http://www.machinablewax.com/ that ahoeben linked. Between the two, MoldLay was a little easier to print with, but the wax was not too bad once I got the settings dialed in. Overall, I prefer the wax filament for most designs. I seemed to have better results with it for investment casting. None of my designs are suitable for relying on melt-out, so low ash was important. The MoldLay left some minor defects, I believe was due to ash. The wax has yielded flawless results.

5 hours ago, garrattmaker said:

I use "Polycast" it is also a wax filament

(it is just for companies.. not on the "free market")  

settings are very similar to normal PLA on a CR 10s printer.

IMG_1541.JPG

I would like to use it for melting it out, how well is that possible? What temperature? Does it leave a residue? 

As a university, is it possible to purchase this "commercial" filament?

Please look to this side

... special materials. 

https://www.polymakerindustrial.com/material-portfolio

from my view it is perfect for melting out. And casting brass. No residue

ca. 250 degrees Celsius - time depends on volume. 

the minimum quantity is 3kg.

I don't know how they handle there rules with an university.

they are in Asia - and have a Europe center in Nederlands.

And a center in US (I think NY)...

This material you can perfect glue with alcohol 98%. In my case I do not need support-material - complex parts I print in 1,2,3 parts and glue them to one complete piece. The material is hard- you can use sandpapers und so on...

as you can see on the pict: to complete a castingtree you can also use a soldiering iron. 

kr ht

Edited by garrattmaker