Has anyone installed a BLTouch on an Ultimaker 2?

Posted · Has anyone installed a BLTouch on an Ultimaker 2?

I know these are popular with the Folgertech FT-5 and numerous other printers for autoleveling

Has anyone hacked/modified their UM2/UM2+ to use one?

• 2 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...

Why do you want to put even more weight on the printhead? I would be interested in shaving away as much as I can :)

And, imo, I don't see what benefits you would get from an autoleveling feature. Once you have leveled your bed it's done. If it's not level...I don't want some software trying to "fix" it ;)

• Like 1

Why do you want to put even more weight on the printhead? I would be interested in shaving away as much as I can :)

And, imo, I don't see what benefits you would get from an autoleveling feature. Once you have leveled your bed it's done. If it's not level...I don't want some software trying to "fix" it ;)

No totally. I was looking for info about how it works and found that web. I don’t need that at all :D

I agree, @nilrog

Once my bed is level I don't need to check it unless the first layer looks bad or I have washed the glass bed and re-applied PVA to the surface.

But it's a very tiny probe/sensor that is popular with many printers.

Just Maybe chaps, its not what it can do for the professional's or for the people who play with there machine to get the absolute best out of it, BUT perhaps to other people it is a benefit, and while not wanting to put people off from trying it, I applaud the information being put up hear, to encourage people who obviously have a ponshon for it, to try it.

• Like 1

Still...if the bed is not level...trying to "fix" it with a probe that is just making sure that the nozzle doesn't hit the bed is...a hack.

If it instead was used during bed leveling to adjust the bed...that would be a totally different story.

But as it is now...it is just a marketing gimmick...although one that, I can agree, does "assist" a noob to some degree...but it is not helping in the long term to understand what is happening.

... unless you have the same problem I have (and some others).

I cannot level the bed because the back-right is lower than the back-left. Something that should not be possible but it is in my case. No problem for smaller objects but I'm now trying to print an object with the maximum dimensions for the UM2+.

The right back corner does not stick all the time!

So, an auto-leveling that takes a not-so-good build plate and compensates for the un-alignment would be so nice! 

Later is better then never.

it is so because you are givin too much pressure on the spring. The bed is hitting the wire contact housing at the corner left back. 

Its funny you mention that, my UM2+ has always been a bit challenging to level.  Like you, I find one side is just always a bit off despite the rest being okay.  

You could do a thicker first layer to try to compensate