Materials

idkwhattoput

Posted (edited) · Materials

Hi Guys little update from our side about this; the footnote on the materials page has been updated so it better represents Ultimaker and our open filament system. Thank you for having this discussion with us!

It now says 'NOTE: The information provided here applies to Ultimaker PLA, similar quality can not be assured with third party filaments.'

It does not mention warranty, but that we can not guarantee the same print quality with 3rd party materials, which I think is only fair.

In regard of the general warranty statement in our warranty policy, a new recommendation has been made and it is under approval now. Once it is live I'll let you know! :)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Interesting these material pages.... sure the temperatures are stated to be for UM2, but compared to the UM3 Cura profiles the difference is pretty big.

for 0.4 nozzle;

ABS: materials page 250, cura 230

CPE: materials page 250, cura 240

PLA: materials page 210, cura 200

Besides this am I blind or do I not see any info on the print speed and layer height? which is crucial, I assume it's meant for "standard" cura speed and 0.1 ????

The funny thing is that the temp advice on ABS, on the materials page corresponds much more with non-ultimaker ABS than with Ultimaker ABS :)

and on topic, I'm curious what the new warranty text will be...

Interesting these material pages.... sure the temperatures are stated to be for UM2, but compared to the UM3 Cura profiles the difference is pretty big.

for 0.4 nozzle;

ABS: materials page 250, cura 230

CPE: materials page 250, cura 240

PLA: materials page 210, cura 200

Besides this am I blind or do I not see any info on the print speed and layer height? which is crucial, I assume it's meant for "standard" cura speed and 0.1 ????

The funny thing is that the temp advice on ABS, on the materials page corresponds much more with non-ultimaker ABS than with Ultimaker ABS :)

and on topic, I'm curious what the new warranty text will be...

I might be totally wrong, but I think the materials info is base on um2+ only, maybe they should difference between um3 materials and um2 ones?

The print info about temp/layer seems to be more complete on the PDF, for example

https://ultimaker.com/download/33120/TDS%20ABS%20v3.006.pdf

Properties reported here are average of a typical batch.The 3D printed test specimens were printed in the XY plane, using the normal quality profile in Cura 2.1, an UM2+, a 0.4 mm nozzle, 90% infill, 250  ̊C nozzle temperature and 80  ̊C build plate temperature.The values are the average of 5 white and 5 black tensile bars. Ultimaker is constantly working on extending theTDS data.

They changed the Warranty text to "NOTE: The information provided here applies to Ultimaker PLA, similar quality can not be assured with third party filaments."

Edited by Guest

The pages do specifically mention Ultimaker 2+.

I am happy to share that we have also changed the general warranty statement on our site. I think they are much clearer and represent Ultimaker's values better.

This is what we say now:

'Customers are welcome and we encourage them to use third party materials, accessories, etc.. That in itself, does not void the warranty. If, however, the use of third party elements, causes damage to the Product, the part(s) affected by this damage is excluded from warranty.'

You can find the full page here.

Just in case to put it human language if that would be desired; using third party material or whatever does not void your warranty. We like it when our users experiment and use their Ultimaker how they see fit. But common sense and caution is required. If damage is caused to your Ultimaker directly by this third party product, Ultimaker can not be held responsible for this specific damage caused. The rest of the machine remains covered by warranty.

Since everyone likes examples, if you use bronzefill or an E3D hot end, and your OLED screen dies, within your warranty period, you are still entitled to a new screen.

..soooooooo... what do you think?

• Like 1

Still think you need to have a good look at that page....

Ultimaker ABS needs 250c on the Ultimaker2 and 230c on the Ultimaker3 at comparable settings? that difference is a bit much don't you think?

Concerning the new warranty: Yes, I think the wording is now reasonable and much better: first, it is more clear, and second it reflects your "open philosophy" better. Tanks.

(Edit: clarified the context of this reply)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Still think you need to have a good look at that page....

Ultimaker ABS needs 250c on the Ultimaker2 and 230c  on the Ultimaker3 at comparable settings? that difference is a bit much don't you think?

Alright, I have an answer with some more knowledge to it:

There lies a difference in internal nozzle geometry in between the Ultimaker 2+ and Ultimaker 3, and the location of the nozzle in between the heater and PT100 is of influence too. This means most profiles are approximately 10ºC colder on an Ultimaker 3. The Ultimaker 3 could also be a little bit better controlled, so we can go a little bit lower in temperature. For the Ultimaker 2+ we had to select the higher side of profiles temperatures, so they would 'always work'.

• Like 2