Layer shift coming from features in the print

Buckyballs

Posted (edited) · Layer shift coming from features in the print

Hello all,

I have recently noticed that I have an x/y shift in planes where there is a feature. Look below for an image. This issue only occurs on the front and right sides of my prints and is a pretty significany shift! I have tightened my pullys as far as they can go and I am not seeing any slippage. I'm printing at 55mm/s with 1500 m/s2 acceleration  and 15 (whatever Cura's interpretation of jerk is) at various layer heights. I have tried slowing and speeding my prints up and I still have this artifact.

5a3327967eceb_DSC_06271.thumb.JPG.88dc8f30d1d5679f483500ac90dc1cf4.JPG

This piece was printed at an angle to minimize support blemishes, meaning that the artifacts you see ran parallel to the build plate.

Thank you!

Edited by Guest

Posted · Layer shift coming from features in the print

I would check if the x/y hotend shafts are perfectly aligned. I seen artifacts like that, but not exactly the same, when the x/y ain't perfectly squared.

• Like 1

Thanks!

I have been squaring the assembly pretty rigorously with the supplied calibration tool, but upon closer inspection it seems like the laser cuts were at a slight angle such that the tool is about 5 degrees off perpendicular to the smooth rods. I guess I need to print new tools, square, print more accurate tools, square, etc?

Edited by Guest

Oh that means that the panel has also that shift angle. I would inspect the slideblocks because while isn't a big issue, it affects the fine quality and the belt tension.

For future and more quality I would think about moving to GT2 belts https://ultimaker.com/en/community/15874-mxl-vs-gt2-print-results

• Like 1

Oh that means that the panel has also that shift angle. I would inspect the slideblocks because while isn't a big issue, it affects the fine quality and the belt tension.

For future and more quality I would think about moving to GT2 belts https://ultimaker.com/en/community/15874-mxl-vs-gt2-print-results

Haha, I just got my order from robotdigg actually, the lars ultralight blocks are currently being printed ;)

This is concerning though, should I ream the bearing mounts out to be straight and fit a spacer around the bearing? Should I try to RMA the frame? The misalignment could be forcing the 8mm rods to bend into place which could explain the slight binding I feel in Y.

Edited by Guest
    Figured something out

Well the wood has a lot of give, so they should be fine more or less. I would complain to the reseller if the laser cut is tilt. The frame is the most basic important thing. But again it might not be a issue with all the margin of error the wood frame allows.

Check the slideblocks don't 'wooble'. That is much more important. Because that can mean that the shaft is banana like that:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/16964-umo-woobling-x-block-sometimes-y

Well the wood has a lot of give, so they should be fine more or less. I would complain to the reseller if the laser cut is tilt. The frame is the most basic important thing. But again it might not be a issue with all the margin of error the wood frame allows.

Check the slideblocks don't 'wooble'. That is much more important. Because that can mean that the shaft is banana like that:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/16964-umo-woobling-x-block-sometimes-y

Well I can't see any wobble by eye or in a video, but it could be there and my eyes are just bad. One thing I noticed while measuring spacers is that my right side pulleys are about 4mm closer to the frame than they should be. After the spacers and slider blocks are printed (I need to size the blocks up ~3%, I was impatient and printed all 4 so it serves me right) I'll be taking the xy axis apart in any case so I'll check how straight the rods are then.

I did notice that one of the y blocks has a tiny bit of play along the axis of the rod but with properly sized spacers and the tighter gt2 belts that should go away. Thanks for your help and I'll post updates after the upgrade is done! :)

• Like 1

Just a quick update regarding prints before the GT2 upgrade. Below you can see a new, very strange artifact. I have been consistantly getting it since switching back to PLA and realigning my x/y axis. What you can see below is that the outer wall of my prints is shifting outwards by one full row for some reason. What isn't shown is that this print is one of roughly 5 parts on a very full buildplate and all of the parts had this exact same issue ONLY on their backmost face.

DSC_0635.thumb.JPG.593d293488ffb1f6823133e26847d620.JPG

DSC_0637.thumb.JPG.b0880de5d24d9d383abaf51418972c60.JPG

This misalignment of the outer wall is so severe that I managed to fit an entire hair clip into the space! Not only that, but the surface finish on the vertical portion of that wall is flawless. I am at a loss for what is wrong here, but it certainly feels like it's on the software side of things. The only new thing I have done with Cura since the switch to PLA is enable coasting.

DSC_0635.thumb.JPG.593d293488ffb1f6823133e26847d620.JPG

DSC_0637.thumb.JPG.b0880de5d24d9d383abaf51418972c60.JPG