Cura 2.3.1 inserting a gap in large prints after stability plate

DocDave

Posted · Cura 2.3.1 inserting a gap in large prints after stability plate

I have found that Cura inserts a solid horizontal plate (6-8 layers thick) every 3cm or so. I assume this is to stabilize the 20% infill grid, but there seems to be a gap also inserted just after the stability plate. I have now had several print failures at this point, which is why I found the gap using the layer visualization in Cura in an effort to try and figure out the problem. Now that I have found the problem, I need to find a fix for this problem.

Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution for it, or know of a way to fix this bug? Does version 2.4 fix the problem, or am I going to invite more problems by switching at this point? It has taken me a long time to find out that you have to decrease the print speed by 10% and drop the nozzle temp to 208 when it is raining or 209 between storms when using ColorFab filament, so I'm not eager to add more variables.

I am printing full-sized skulls (LARGE prints) with fine detail (HIGH resolution), so I have wasted a LOT of time and plastic on this problem!!! It usually prints past the first gap at about 3cm with only a line all the way around the print, but the second gap is where it usually looses adhesion and everything goes wrong. This is after about 5 days of printing, so a HUGE loss! I have an exhibit scheduled to open in less than a month and two more skulls to print, so I don't have a lot of time left to mess around.

Posted · Cura 2.3.1 inserting a gap in large prints after stability plate

Hi and welcome,

I personnaly have never heard of such a feature.

Can you show some pics of the model (in layer view and maybe xray).

I would assume that the problem comes from the model itself and not from Cura