Ultimaker files its first patent

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker files its first patent

Somehow, I knew he'd find a way to blame Trump for this   :)

(Sorry...this humorous pause brought to you by me)

Ah, I wouldn't worry about Trump, he knows what to do. Give it a few days and he'll be on twitter claiming it was Obama who caused Ultimaker to file a patent. ;)

Or fake news ;)

• Like 2

Somehow, I knew he'd find a way to blame Trump for this   :)

(Sorry...this humorous pause brought to you by me)

Ah, I wouldn't worry about Trump, he knows what to do. Give it a few days and he'll be on twitter claiming it was Obama who caused Ultimaker to file a patent. ;)

Or fake news ;)

Oh yeah :)

And afterwards there'll be a press conference where Spicer tells us this patent is the worst patent ever. Period.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is a good move. There are too many patent trolls and too many who think hard work (long hours, years of development and innovation) should be free.

Being defensive does not block anybody in and does protect the hard work of the individuals who make things we like to play and work with. I have seen way too many resources that have been offered for free only to be put up for sale elsewhere.

Time will tell how it is handled, but I can say I do approve and appreciate the need for it. A little too much jumping up and down about a positive move methinks in a few responses here.

And, there is way too much theft in the industry across the board. I was contacted by CGTrader to sell models. When I mentioned one of their models was found on another site for free, I heard nothing back from them. And, I have archived the emails in case someone wants to dispute this.

Basically they are either selling free work, or someone bought it and set if free in the wild. What was disturbing was that once this was pointed out, I never heard from them again.

We used to get paid for our work but somewhere, too many people decided everything was for free if it was on the internet. A lot of potential to make money, but a lot of risk too.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I think that this is a smart move by Ultimaker and the explanation given is very clear: when your company becomes bigger and starts to challenge the big guys, the game becomes tougher, and any innovation that is worth a lot of money can be easily patented by any company that may sue you and oblige you to stop using it. This has happenned a lot in corporate world and even  startups must not be naive and imagine that this will not happen with them.

But...once you patent something you can decide wether you will allow other companies to use it or not, and in which special conditions. That's what Ultimaker is doing. Well done.

• Like 3