UM2GO - Perfect first layer - lines not touching after first layer

mnierz

Posted · UM2GO - Perfect first layer - lines not touching after first layer

Hi guys!

Again! I have an hardware issue with my UM2Go. But now, not everything is clear to me, so I decided to ask you guys.

What is the problem:

Lines are not touching - but only after first layer. First layer prints perfectly well.

My first tought:

- something is wrong with my print settings. So I changed it (slower speed, higher temp) - and nothing, lines still not touching.

My second tought:

- underextrusion - I checked PTFE tube - OK. I did atomic pulls - clean. Feeder not skipping or clicking.

What I already did:

- oil rods, tighten belts, lube Z-axis screw. And with no success - lines still not touching.

- test on different filaments - always the same - lines still not touching.

What is really strange, is that first layer is always perfect. Even if second and third layer are printing with same (as 1st layer) settings (higher temp, slow enough), lines are starting to not touching.

My last test was relevelling bed while printing - and boom! Yes, it works (partially), because I have to calibrate bed after every layer. But after print is finished - nozzle are hitting bed (which is normal, because I constantly (layer after layer) have to raise bed a little.

I've tried everything and I'm out of any options. Maybe Z-axis has some issue?

Have you any ideas?

PS.: UM2Go stats: ~c.a 4000 hours of printing.

Greetings from Poland,

Maciek.

How does your teflon coupler look? If it gets slightly worn it can cause underextrusion issues. At ~4000 hours of printing, I assume you have changed it several times though.

It could be that you knurled feeder wheel needs cleaning or it could have worn a bit so the little triangles are not as sharp anymore. To test this you could clean it and move it to a new spot on the knurled wheel.

Are you positive it's not on older prints? The lines not touching thing has been an unexplained issue on a lot of new machine prior to UM2+ And I even got a new UM2go that had this issue from day 1 and was never resolved.

I have since upgraded my UM2go to a UM2go+ and it's well worth doing.

I would also use the TFM coupler (or TFT) as it's a lot better then the PTFE.

Changing the axis rods have helped some people. If they are bent in the middle the bed leveling can be good as it's measured in the outer corners can be fine but the middle distance can be greater.

Hi, thanks for your answers.

Rowiac, teflon coupler looks fine. I changed it last week. I use TFM couplers from 3dsolex.

Labern, knurled feeder wheel is perfectly clean and it also looks good (Robert's feeder)

I use UM2Go for 1 year, and it was fine. This issue is new to me.

I print some test to check out if it's problem with axis rods - problem with lines not touching is visible on every part of bed.

How long have you had the Roberts feeder on your print? Check all the parts as they can bend over time from the load the are under. Make sure there is a gap behind the "yoke?" To ensure the spring Dorset is fully on the filament and not the feeder frame.

Your describing the the hotend is all good. No problems with feeder or rods then it doesn't leave many other things except for material.

You can install tinkergnomes firmware and adjust the e steps to get the lines touching but this is a workaround.

Posted (edited) · UM2GO - Perfect first layer - lines not touching after first layer

I had roberts feeder since beggining. Actually, last week I printed all parts again (ABS), to make sure if everythings is all right with feeder.

After extruder calibration (tinkergnome firmware), lines still not touching.

EDIT:

I changed roberts feeder to arjan design and I'm getting better results (still not perfect). Probably is something wrong with feeder (maybe stepper motor simply worn out?)

EDIT - PROBLEM SOLVED

Hi everyone,

I changed feeder with E3D titan - and it works perfectly. So probably default motor was too week or knurled screw was worn out indeed.

Edited by Guest