Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Wisar

Stringing with Cura 2.4 but not with S3D on the UM3 or Cura 2.x on UM2+

The print on the left was sliced by S3D and the one on the right by the latest version of Cura.  They are, as nearly as I can tell, done with the same temperature, speed, and retraction settings.  I can not prove this without doing a lot of work but I am almost certain this behaviour only began after I upgraded the firmware on the printer and went to the new Cura.

IMG_6951.thumb.JPG.8dac4a5d266f401d072720b1373abda3.JPG

Cura Profile is pretty much default settings for a 'normal' print but for temp at 195 and speed at 50

Here is the G-Code for all four prints that I have done.  The S3d settings are at the top of the S3d file.

G-Code

IMG_6951.thumb.JPG.8dac4a5d266f401d072720b1373abda3.JPG

Edited by Guest

Here is another image with a print from Cura 2.4 (center) as well as the ones from S3D (left) and Cura 2.3 (right):

5a332847bbb93_IMG_6980(1).thumb.jpg.1cf2e917d5412ddadb490603d450b85b.jpgThe S3D print (Center) has no stringing, the 2.3 (Upper) less than the 2.4, and the 2.4 (Right) is unusable. Cura 2.3 print is the red one and is fine.

5a332847bbb93_IMG_6980(1).thumb.jpg.1cf2e917d5412ddadb490603d450b85b.jpg

Edited by Guest

Here are two more images this time of a test that I did when first getting the printer (orange) versus now (grey). IMG_6993.thumb.jpg.8adfcd512511f783df5d800d0230f7d9.jpg IMG_6996.thumb.jpg.40b1e9f25d20f484f50e13dd9bc4497d.jpg

I was going to repost this to Cura/Firmware but since Cura slices ok for my 2+ it seems like this is the right place for this thread. I hope that @gr5, @labern, @Daid, or @neotko might see this thread and render some advice? I will promise to stop complaining about Brim as that is truly trivial compared to not being able to print tiny details that I used to be able to print!

Edited by Guest

My experience with the Cura profiles is that they are very good. So I'm surprised that you have unsatisfactory results.

I read that you have tweaked settings. Did you try to print this with default settings? Which profile did you use?

Maybe, just maybe your Cura is corrupt. I think I have read reports on this forum about issues with Cura that were solved after reinstalling Cura.

I had a corrupted Cura 2.4 during the Beta and reinstalled. Just did so again thinking that might be the issue but no joy. I am deleting the application and the Cura folder from /Library/Application Support but am wondering if there are configuration files some where else.

I am SURE this was not happening before I first tried the Beta. I am using the stock profiles with only a change to temperature and speed.

I am happy using S3D for everything else but I need Cura to work for dual extrusion support.

I have not reposted yet on the Cura section as some more testing is underway.

Will

I think I have read reports on this forum about issues with Cura that were solved after reinstalling Cura.

Just reinstalling hardly ever changes anything, unless the user has changed files in the Cura installation (ie: files in the Program Files\Cura folder). Most notably reinstalling Cura does not touch the cura configuration, and most issues have been with the configuration files.

• Like 1

I think I have read reports on this forum about issues with Cura that were solved after reinstalling Cura.

Most notably reinstalling Cura does not touch the cura configuration, and most issues have been with the configuration files.

Which is why, on OSX, I also whacked /Library/Application Support/Cura. Is these stuff hidden somewhere else?