CURA 2.4 Machine Settings

ultiarjan

Posted · CURA 2.4 Machine Settings

While working on the setup of the mark2 machine (the magnetic tool changer) I noticed something confusing.

When you are in cura's printer preferences, you can easily choose between the printers you have installed, but you ONLY see the machine settings button for the printer that is active in cura at that moment.

Besides the confusion on the missing button, it's also making it a lot harder to lookup the settings in one machine, and copying to another machine.

So I would like the settings to be just always available, but if for some reason this would be to complicated, it would already be an improvement to keep showing the button "greyed out" with a warning on hover, like "machine not active"

fyi @nallath

machine1.thumb.png.98d4f23839d43e512782cb01ac0f40d6.png

machine2.thumb.png.d4171b22676f1a54d0897556a286b8b6.png

Machine2b.thumb.png.560d2e0f4ad4824654554c4aa57fbad2.png

machine1.thumb.png.98d4f23839d43e512782cb01ac0f40d6.png

machine2.thumb.png.d4171b22676f1a54d0897556a286b8b6.png

Machine2b.thumb.png.560d2e0f4ad4824654554c4aa57fbad2.png

> So I would like the settings to be just always available, but if for some reason this would be to complicated,

Unfortunately, it is fairly complicated in the current architecture. I would have liked to be able to do this too, but I don't think it is going to happen any time soon.

> it would already be an improvement to keep showing the button "greyed out" with a warning on hover, like "machine not active"

How would this be an improvement? Functionally this is still the same as the current solution; you still cannot enter the machine settings. And technically, this is still fairly complicated to implement.

Cura basically only knows about one configured printer at a time (and a list of other configured printers as id and name, but not much other info). The available "machine actions" (Machine Settings, Upgrade Firmware, Bed Leveling, Connect to Network, etc) can vary between printers. And these "machine actions" are all fairly hardcoded to work on the currently active printer.

As a very off-topic side-note: Ultimaker2 Mark2... The name is a bit of a missed opportunity, because it does not say anything about being dual extrusion.

Why not do something clever, and add a "D" for dual to the name. So... Ultimaker 2D!

(I suggested the same postfix during the development of the Ultimaker 3, but strangely "Ultimaker 3D" did not get much traction.)

How would this be an improvement?

Functionally not at all .... but at least it would be good to somehow give the user a hint as to why the settings button is missing... it took me a while to figure it out :)

• Like 1

I learned the name should make clear that it's a community project and avoid misinterpretation as something released directly by Ultimaker. At least there's a "2" in it and additionally, any upcoming "upgrade" for UM2s what else could it be than dual extrusion ;)

• Like 2

I learned the name should make clear that it's a community project and avoid  misinterpretation as something released directly by Ultimaker.  At least there's a "2" in it and additionally, any upcoming "upgrade" for UM2s what else could it be than dual extrusion ;)

Also I'm going to get quite annoyed if I have to reorder boards with new silk screen :p

Er... guys... I was joking about the "2D". Lets get this thread back to the Machine Settings.

• Like 1

Anybody know what is the normal behavior of storing changed machine settings in cura2.4 ?

When I make changes to the start-end code it gets stored, but not written back into the machine .json file in C:/program files etc....

So where does it get stored?

Anybody know what is the normal behavior of storing changed machine settings in cura2.4 ?

When I make changes to the start-end code it gets stored, but not written back into the machine .json file in C:/program files etc....

So where does it get stored?

Take a look at your configuration folder:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\cura\machine_instances

There's a file with the printer's name that ends with *_settings.inst.cfg

• Like 1

We have similar threads going. Yes this is where it is stored but on my laptop with Cura 2.4 release this is not the file that Cura is using. So the start gcode changes I am making are not being used by Cura even though they have been stored in this file in ...cura/machine-settings