Cura positions part below the build surface

GrimJeeper91

Posted (edited) · Cura positions part below the build surface

@chris413 The image below is that first project file.  You can see it's sitting on the bed.  I get the same thing with the little ring you posted.

We're beating this to death and not making any progress.  Try installing a Creality Ender 3 and change the bed size to 250 x 250 x 250.  Slice with the Ender active.  If the problem is till present then that would eliminate the LotMaxx definition file and platform as the culprit.

image.thumb.png.b0fb1ea7d775a1256f70c5e0dfbe9778.png

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · Cura positions part below the build surface

It's slicing fine for me.  I'm using Cura 5.0.0.

I get the same thing - that light line.  It looks like it's below the print bed but it is not.

667905303_Screenshotfrom2023-01-1909-32-23.png.466b8f4273b3b306f47c6e4c9f591d9c.png

I know because your part is symmetrical and you can see that it is printing symmetrically: the top and bottom rings are the same thickness/height:

1867696597_Screenshotfrom2023-01-1909-35-32.thumb.png.e4ef8bcee670fa3467cd8a70d551bc98.png

Also it's not *below* the bed - I know this because you can see below, the teal colored ring.  That's on the bottom layer for sure.  That's the skirt.  And on that same bottom layer it is printing your part.

1041592340_Screenshotfrom2023-01-1909-30-56.thumb.png.655dbb3e6a3313308fbeb3b4edfa2c1f.png

Maybe there is some bug in your version of Cura.  You probably already said but what version of Cura are you using?  Could it be that you *had* the bug in the past but now it is slicing fine?  Because your screen shots from Cura look perfect.  Maybe you had a problem but you fixed it but you are afraid to test?  Or maybe you have some buggy version of Cura?  I can't run anything newer than Cura 5.0.0.  I get some error about libraries or something.

Another thing that is helpful:  Turn off the feature where it drops the part to the bed automatically.  Select the part and the move tool and set the Z value to +1mm and use the mouse to orbit around and zoom in and then set the Z value to -1mm.  When you do that it is more obvious that the part is above the bed or below the bed.

Also I got some feedback from UltiMaker.  They said that white line is there on purpose to help you see if the part is on/below/above the bed.  In your case it's deceiving.  The color of the line unfortunately is different for different colors of filament.  I think it does some kind of XOR or Multiply mixing of colors and maybe instead they should just darken.

• Like 1

Maybe your printer is leveled so badly that the first 3 layers are squished so much that they are so thin that they are basically transparent.  I've seen that before.  It would be obvious if you watch it print the first layer and it's transparent.

• Like 1

Just now, gr5 said:

Maybe your printer is leveled so badly that the first 3 layers are squished so much that they are so thin that they are basically transparent.  I've seen that before.

I'm agree with you.  And to be sure he should post in this thread the Gcode.

I use Simplify3D but I'm curious to be able to use more settings and now two print heads. I like to try Cura 5.4. My problem is that I can't place the object on the print bed easy. Sometimes it's under the print bed. In Simplify3D you can use the "Ctrl-L" and the object is placed automatic on the bed, always. I use 3mf-files from SolidWorks.
    I have tried everything I can find without success. I want the side with green arrow on the bed. Please help so I get on with it.
    Thank you for your support 🙂

Regard
    Ola A. in Sweden

0040.JPG

Try Edit -> Reset all model positions

The problem is that for 3mf files, Cura (tries to) put the models in their original location relative to the origin. Apparently your model is below the origin in Solidworks. For STL files, Cura places the model in the center of the buildplate.

• Like 1

Thanks 🙂 I'm going to try this out!

Have a nice day!

cura 5.5.0

I have also been having this issue but have half my model under the base plate. 

having read all the comments i have just reset my general options to default and it now seems fine. 

Not sure which setting was upsetting it but guess as I add features back in I will find the culprit setting. 

In the "Preferences/Configure Cura" "General" tab -  under "Viewport Behavior" is "Automatically drop models to the build plate".