Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
kmanstudios

No Support Test-2Color Print-UM3+

My first 2 Color Print with massive overhangs and no supports. A bit of cleanup required to remover a bit of underside strings, but really impressed.

Settings in Cura 2.4

Basic Draft for PLA (Both Colors)

2 walls

Hollowed out

Make overhangs printable (65°) (found by doing overhang tests prints. 65° is where I found I get a decent bottom and top.

Coasting enabled (Default settings)

0.1 expansion on both colors to make them overlap a bit and bond better.

2CLRFactalFlower.jpg

Tape dispenser for scale

2CLRFractScale.jpg

In me tiny hands

JustOffTheBed.jpg

Some Teacandle tests each 'lamp' printed with no support (single color only) Just throwing them in to save multiple posts

TeaCandle.jpg

Still greatly in the newbie phase, but the machine is very robust and compensates a lot for this clumsy noob.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

The print was 18.6 Hr by estimation and I could swear it shaved an hour off...or the daylight savings change messed me up. Gonna be cold and tired for a few days until the blizzard is done and I adjust to the time change...grooooaaaaannnnnn.......

I have not tried without the prime tower. The stringies are from where it was building the overhangs. And amazingly, few if any. Most of the 'rougher surface' was on the most bottom part of the fractal. A snip and sanding a bit did the job for me.

The thing I am most amazed at is that it has gazillions of overhangs and still came out this clean. The 'petals' of the fractal are smooth as can be. I'll probably try without the prime tower and use the ooze shield.

I will be remaking/revising it to make an LED Lamp some time in the future. When I am not experimenting with materials and such. Had it for two months and all I've done is print a bunch of cubes, some old files and interlocking ball and socket test pieces.

Been also painting and testing finishes. For instance, I have decided I am not a fan of ABS for a variety of reasons. For my goals, just too brittle. But I do love the PLA and nylons. NinjaTek's products (Semi-flex, flex, cheetah) are giving me no issues other than finding the sweet spot in temps.

Gonna be trying armadillo soon to see how it compares to ABS in strength and hopefully not as brittle.

This machine is the perfect learning tool. Compensates enough for this clumsy noob and STILL allows for playing around.