Cura 15.04.6 and CTC dual extruder 3D printer

Olaf

Posted · Cura 15.04.6 and CTC dual extruder 3D printer

Hello,

I am a big fan of Cura and I am using Cura V2.4.0 for all my single-extruder 3D prints.

But currently, I am trying to set up Cura V15.04.6 for my new CTC dual extruder 3D printer (Makerbot clone). I am trying to generate GCode and then convert it with GPX into an X3G file. This is basically working. I want to print soluble support material (PVA) with the second extruder.

My problem is: When Cura V15.04.6 writes an M135 Tx (x=0 or 1) command, i. e. tool change, then the extruder value (Exx.xx) just continues counting upwards from the old extruder's value. My printer then spits out huge amounts of the material that has been switched to. I assume that because of the tool (extruder) change command, the newly chosen extruder needs to catch up with the amount of material that has just been printed before (because the extrusion value has gotten this big). This leads to a heap of material at or nearby the position where the tool change command has taken place.

I think a command in the PostSwitchExtruder.gcode setup section could help. But I am not sure if Cura can do this: I think of something like G92 E{current_extruder_position} (problem: I made {current_extruder_position} up). Is there such a variable? Relative E values would also work, but Cura only uses absolute values.

Anybody who can help me? Anyone who has an idea?

Thanks a lot.

Olaf

• 6 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 7 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies