UM3 Recurring issue, the tower!

Ronan

Posted · UM3 Recurring issue, the tower!

Fair point. But even for outside there are interesting alternatives which do not always get the attention it deserves.

I think ABS has the benefit of being around when 3D printing started, just as PLA and people grew custom to using it for more serious business over PLA. (besides that we also know it from Lego and some other daily use products).

But PC is also pretty strong and heat resistant. CPE the same. And Nylon is also strong, but not as rigid as ABS. (which can be a good thing depending on what you need).

I've got 2 pla prints outdoors that I can think of right now. They are exposed to quite a bit of UV light (but I don't think ever the sun shines directly onto either one). they are exposed to cold new england winters with lots of snow and ice. They are exposed to hot weather (30C) in the summer. They both look as good as new. One of them, a knob, is 3 years outside now and it looks as good as new.

I've done strength tests and have found UM PLA and also colorfabb PLA/PHA to be as strong and as flexible as ABS. I've also looked at the product specifications which agree that ABS and PLA are almost identical in strength and flexibility.

I completely agree about smoothing. And of course PLA can't handle sitting in a hot car in a parking lot on a sunny day. Nor can it handle boiling water. And if you try to use it in a gear where it heats up with movement then it will likely melt and get mushy and then break.

Fair point. But even for outside there are interesting alternatives which do not always get the attention it deserves.

I think ABS has the benefit of being around when 3D printing started, just as PLA and people grew custom to using it for more serious business over PLA. (besides that we also know it from Lego and some other daily use products).

But PC is also pretty strong and heat resistant. CPE the same. And Nylon is also strong, but not as rigid as ABS. (which can be a good thing depending on what you need).

I would love a PLA alternative for outside that also plays well with PVA. So far it's Nylon but it is limited due to its rigidity (compare to PLA/ABS).

Have you had much luck with PC or CPE with PVA?

Don't pin me down on it, but I believe CPE showed some potential to be used in combination with PVA.

I have CPE+ and have gotten it to work with PVA. I'm fine tuning the settings as I try different methods to find a better sweet spot than I have accomplished so far. I'll let you know how it goes when I get through a buncha tests this weekend.

I'm just waiting on a PETG and PVA print to finish.

I'm approaching this like the nylon/PVA printing. But am finding some chemical incompatibilities. Brand related? I dunno.....