VERY challenging "Gaps Between Infill and Outline" solving

bastienb

Posted · VERY challenging "Gaps Between Infill and Outline" solving

I checked... it is 1.75mm... I called the shop and they do not know how I could have received these! (how convenient ahah)

I will try to find a proper 2.85mm nozzle and I will update this topic to see if it makes a difference!

Thanks guys

• Replies 84
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a stock 0.6mm nozzle. I never used it and I tried to do the print with it to be sure it was the nozzle. I used the default parameters from cura "fast print" using 0.6mm and the skirt.

The problem remains!

IMG_20170324_175335.jpg

I think at this point you just need to use a bit more of infill overlap, or use 2 perimeters (or 3 if you are using 2) (On Cura is called wall thickness = Double of nozzle size, or Wall count = Number of perimeters you actually want)

Also, to make the fill covers better on complex areas you can increase a bit the Infill Overlap Percentage.

OK, thank you! I will try with 40% more wall thickness (0.7 -> 1) and 50% more infill overlap percentage (10% -> 15%). See you in several hours :p

• Like 1

Wall thickness from 0.7 on a 0.6 nozzle might be the main issue. Use 0.6-1.2 so it makes loops proportional to nozzle. Or a bit less, like 0.5-1.0. But bigger numbers than the nozzle also work, but depends much on speed to land it perfectly

The print looks exactly the same...

Posted (edited) · VERY challenging "Gaps Between Infill and Outline" solving

Do you think it would be a good idea to continue playing with the slicer's parameters? I will receive proper 0.4mm nozzles soon to continue with them, as it emphasize the issue it would be easier to see...

Also I will try to get a glass plate made by a glass worker (not borosilicate but it would be a cheap testing solution to see if there is a plate problem!).

Edited by Guest

Afaik UM doesn't use Borosilicate but tempered glass. (not sure about that also)

I don't really know men, I'm quite puzzled. Indeed testing with the nozzle you will use helps. I would try to do a mm3 test to calibrate the temperature/speed. @ultiarjan has a very good print test to do exactly that

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/quick-temperature-fillament-test

I searched a bit, I think for UM2 it is tempered glass but borosilicate (Pyrex) would be much better (resistant to thermal shock, so good to be put on the frigde) except it is more expensive. But that's not the topic...

I will do the test as soon as I get home and meanwhile I will try to get a new X axis (I found the Y ones on makershop but no X) and change them both.

I think you are going to laugh a bit... I printed the test file yesterday night!

IMG_20170329_073219.jpg

IMG_20170329_073227.jpg

IMG_20170329_073241.jpg

IMG_20170329_073249.jpg

IMG_20170329_073253.jpg

And I was wondering if the feeder wheel could be damaged? It seemed it was not but as the printer ran with a 1.75mm nozzle, smg must have been harmed in the process, musn't it? For me it is fine regarding the pictures, but I prefer to let you be the judge:

IMG_20170328_212157.jpg

IMG_20170328_212209.jpg

IMG_20170328_212223.jpg

Oh and you know what? I noticed the same problem started to occur on my other printer... (very sligthly) Since the moment I knew about the nozzle I was wondering if it could have harmed the extrusion motors? As it put a lot more effort to push the filament?

Thanks =)

Weirdly enough, apart of dust that you can clean with a brush, the part that calls my attention is the 'bite' mark on the filament from the feeder. Is like if your feeder tension is a bit too light. I would try to clean it, and make the feeder tension mark closer to the middle (top is loose, bottom is too tight).

I really doubt you could have damage the motors at all, they are made (afaik) to resist many crazy tests like the ones I been doing for years. But the retractions on the print and blops, wow that looks so bad. I thing the first to blame could be the feeder tension being too light (but my experience with that feeder and 2.85 is very short, so maybe someone like@ultiarjan could check this too?)

So the feeder wheel is in good condition for you? No need for change? About the tension, I lightened it a bit because I had to force so as to insert my filament. Is there a rule to tune this properly? I guess it is a rule of thumbs where you need marks but no skipping or grinding... I will try to have the bites twice as marked as on the pic and to print the thing again!

Thanks for the words about the motors, basically you are saying they are heavy duty piece of hardware and that we are far from heavy use :p

(I re-tag @ultiarjan because I think it did not work on your message).

• Like 1

Wow, i've never seen that test model printed so bad before :)

don't think you damaged anything, just give everything a good clean, use the proper nozzle, and you'll probably be fine.

• Like 1

The problem is, I cleaned everything, changed the PTFE (with the proper distance to avoid compression), I have a new 2.85mm/0.4mm nozzle and this keeps happening...

Check the tension, with your current setting it might be slipping, and that test shows a lot of extrusion errors. Ofc, don't over tight it, or the filament will get damaged fast. Afaik the middle is the ok point.

Also after closing all, check that the bowden doesn't move after inserting the blue clip. It should not have wiggle/play room after is set.

Ok I will check that.

Btw, the middle position is far too tight for me, on both printers. Is it possible I missed smg when mounting it back? Or is it just normal?

Ok I will check that.

Btw, the middle position is far too tight for me, on both printers. Is it possible I missed smg when mounting it back? Or is it just normal?

Check this article of how to assemble/disassemble it to be sure:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/64-disassembly-of-the-ultimaker-2-plus-feeder

I do not see anything I would have missed, so I will put it back to the middle position and put a picture of the grinding marks ;)

Thanks

The daily update!

Tightening the feeder was a good idea:

IMG_20170329_231709.jpg

IMG_20170329_231729.jpg

IMG_20170329_231735.jpg

print.jpg

maybe a little less worse, but it still looks like crap :(

so I may have missed it but what filament is that? are you using the test file with the right temperature range? are you fans working ok?

Looks like it is coming from an un-tuned chinese prusa i3... too bad it cost me like 2500€ more ahahah :p

The filament is RepRap EmotionTech, PLA green, 3mm (good quality I guess?). Stored in plastic bag with silicate and inside a piece of furniture with an electric (peltier) air dehumidifier. I bought it 6 month ago max. I used the "Pla 210 190 F100 Test5 Ulti Arjan", directly put on the sd card.

The fans are working OK yes, I mean they are OFF the first layer and ON after. And the one to regulate de nozzle temp is working OK.

I'd say time to try with another rol of pla .... at least to rule out its the pla.

OK, this afternoon I will open a new roll (ordered last week) and re-print the part! It would be PLA white RepRap EmotionTech 3mm.

I really don't know that brands since I only use faber, colorfabb, smartmaterials, etc. Are they 2.85 with good consistency?