Flex material for prototype to put in mouth for about 4 min

TroelsArnved

Posted · Flex material for prototype to put in mouth for about 4 min

Hi

I am sitting with a project, where I need to make some prototypes that is flexible and non-toxic to put in the mouth for a couple of minutes. (I need to test on "normal" people - not geeks like us)

Do you guys have any knowledge about if one of the flexible filament is suited for this purpose ?

like food grade, medical grade etc.

• Like 1

I just checked and they do not have the Safety Data Sheet available. All filaments will or should have one to check such things as bio-compatibility.

Most things that are just coming into contact with tissue, especially mucous membranes, are more about what toxins are released through the material and not so much about sterilization as you can sterilize without heat (not the easiest way, but can be done).

I would check the data sheets on the filaments. Here is the link to the page that has the "non-working" link to the MSDS.

http://ngen-flex.colorfabb.com/what/

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Flex material for prototype to put in mouth for about 4 min

Food safe materials are definitely the way to go as long as they meet your needs. Most of the things I am researching deal with contact with skin and trying to minimize the allergy issues.

Right now my motto is, "If it's food safe, it is skin safe." At least until I find out otherwise and not accounting for extra issues like very specific allergies. Not everything can be safe for everybody, but some things can be safe for a vast majority of people.

An example of general food safety would be your PET and PETG filaments as they are used in all sorts of products already and for the most part should be checked by filament for the Material Safety Data Sheets.

Edit: Here is an MSDS for NinjaSemiFlex that should give an idea what to look for. Please notice it does not say 'FoodSafe' though because that is a different thing altogether:

https://ninjatek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/SDS-SemiFlex-rev0.pdf

And here is what you are looking for I have italicized a few areas to compare):

ACUTE TOXICITY:

IRRITATION/CORROSION:

Not likely to result in irritation in solid form. Thermal decomposition may result in release of toxic airborne contaminates which can be irritating to eyes, skin and respiratory tract.

SENSITIZATION:

The chemical structure does not suggest a sensitizing effect.

CHRONIC TOXICITY:

CARCINOGENICITY:

The chemical structure does not suggest a specific alert for such an effect.

REPEATED DOSE TOXICITY:

No known chronic effects.

GENOTOXICITY:

The chemical structure does not suggest a mutagenic effect.

Edited by Guest

Thank you for digging that up. I started to find pertinent information on Page 6 of the PDF link.

It seems all safety issues are with the post processing or pre-processing of materials that create a dust from the material itself.

But nothing that says it is safe for using in the mouth or mucus membranes when solidified.

It is one of the best Data sheets I have seen, complete with testing parameters and such and not just results.

It is odd though that the link I posted is broken and took someone who knew more about the material and manufacturer to find this important information.

Thanks for the link!! :)

What you should look for, or ask yourself, is it still labeled as food safe after it has been 3D printed? (heated, molten, maybe even burnt, through a hot (dirty?) nozzle, layers in your 3D print).

• Like 1

What you should look for, or ask yourself, is it still labeled as food safe after it has been 3D printed? (heated, molten, maybe even burnt, through a hot (dirty?) nozzle, layers in your 3D print).

I totally agree if something is going to be used orally for any length of time. Whilst I am still learning about how to read the data sheets, I too look for food safety ratings until I am better at understanding the nuances of materials and their data sheets.

But nothing that says it is safe for using in the mouth or mucus membranes when solidified.

There is an other issue with ngen flex, which is not related to how unhealthy, but the smell of it would likely put off someone to put it into the their mouth. I haven't tried to taste it, but if it gives off slightly the taste as the odor, I would try other materials first.

I agree after print with the Ngen Flex last week it gives a smell but it also has a waxy oily feel to it and I would think twice before I put it in my Mouth.. I have made Living aids for people who cannot hold implements and use there mouths for daily living, I would feel uncomfortable producing something in Ngen Flex for them to use,, again this is me personally after Printing with the Material and feeling its tactile feel.

I agree after print with the Ngen Flex last week it gives a smell but it also has a waxy oily feel to it and I would think twice before I put it in my Mouth.. I have made Living aids for people who cannot hold implements and use there mouths for daily living, I  would feel uncomfortable producing something in Ngen Flex for them to use,, again this is me personally after Printing with the Material and feeling its tactile feel.

I think that would be the ultimate test. If you don't like it, nobody else will/why risk it?

I have printed with NinjaFlex, Ninja SemiFlex and Cheetah and a smidgen of printing with Soft PLA. None of those had an oily feel to them, and I cannot say about the smell as I do not have a good sniffer. And frankly, have not put any of this stuff in my mouth.

Has there been any progress with finding a filament that can be safely put in your mouth,, I have had a request from a friend to make a holder for him to use with his mouth, this would involve taking a mould of his teeth and producing a mould (3d printed) then creating the Holder attached to that..

Any replies welcome

Maybe this? I suppose that it would need also a full metal hotend since ptfe is toxic, and probably a proper environment control?

http://smartmaterials3d.com/en/home/94-medical-smartfil.html

Neotko

Thanks for this, will see if I can find a data sheet, My hot end is Full Metal, so may just be the thing. Thanks

What about contaminants in in the travel path from spool to hot end? Will the hot end sterilize the part?

Hi guys, not sure if this topic is still relevant since it's been a few years but thought I'd mention that I've been working with a custom mouthpiece made of NinjaTek SemiFlex, and it didn't occur to me to check if it was safe before putting it in my mouth til now but I used it for a few days (a few months ago), and it didn't seem to have any effect on me