Where is dual extruder option in Cura

m_kramar

Posted · Where is dual extruder option in Cura

I may be blind in which case apologies, but I cannot see how to tell my Cura 2.4.0 that my custom printer has dual extruder. I mean I cannot find number of extruders options. Anyone please?

• 3 months later...

Now that 2.6 is out... Where is dual extruder option in Cura?

I have a Replicator 1 (among others) and having the ability to take advantage of that printers dual extruders would be the nail in the coffin for Simplify3D for me.

• 1 month later...
    Where is dual extruder option in Cura?

In case you have not found it yet:

extruder-2-cura-2.6.4.thumb.jpg.dae8b800fe32a8b409501c2ac214d3a6.jpg

At least an Ultimaker 3 will reject to print the Gcode if settings for support material or brim point to extruder 1 (default setting).

I think @3DProfessor was asking about other printers than the UM3, which has had multiple extruders since Cura 2.3.

Since Cura 2.6, you can set the number of extruders of a Custom FDM Printer in the Machine Settings.

• Like 1

Hi guys

I've made a custom printer with a double head of extruders and i'm wondering how to setup in Cura correctly. I didn't find any setting like "distance between nozzles" or so! Can someone help me on this?

Thanks for any help

Go to the Printers pane of the Preferences, and press the Machine Settings dialog. That has an option to set the number of extruders, and there are tabs per extruder to set (among other things) the offsets for each nozzle.

• Like 2

What Cura version do you have?

I just installed the Cura v3.5 Beta version and the option is there to configure up to 8 extruders, and then for each extruder the X and Y offset. Go to the 'Manage printers' menu. Select your printer and then click the 'Machine settings' button.

I looked into the Cura manual at https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/52029-manage-printers

and there I see the menu item for adding extruders is missing. So it might be a recent configuration addition.

2 minutes ago, CarloK said:

So it might be a recent configuration addition.

It has been there since Cura 2.6

Posted (edited) · Where is dual extruder option in Cura

So setting the X and Y offsets by measuring from the center of the nozzle to the end of the head! Am i correct?

Edited by cncman

Nope.

The offsets are the values you have to add to the gcode coordinates to get the nozzle at the desired position.

So, when the gcode says to go to position 0,0 then the values for the first nozzle are commonly configured as x=0 and y=0. For the second nozzle you then enter offsets so that the nozzle gets located at exact that same position. You can measure these values as the distance from center of nozzle 1 to center of nozzle 2.

Cura uses these values to calculate the allowed build volume, i.e. you have the printer's volume size but on some printers not all nozzles can reach all same physical locations. From that you can conclude the values are for most printers just an indicational value and it doesn't matter if you are off by a millimeter. Except... there are some printer brands where the gcode contains absolute positions for each head and then these settings affect the generated gcode positions (not true for Ultimaker machines where the nozzle offset is configured in the printer).

• Like 1

This is of what i meant, thanks!

Should i put it manualy on gcode parameters , or there is a conf panel to check?

where exactly should i look to fine the Extruder Count setting?

here is a screen shot for my CR-10 settings in Cura 3.5.0

Capture.PNG

You are starting from a printer definition that does not define any extruders.

Try adding a new printer, and start with a Custom FDM Printer. You'll have a choice of up to 8 extruders.

Ahhhh!   Thanks!