Beta testing Cura 2.5 | Closed.

SandervG

Posted · Beta testing Cura 2.5 | Closed.

Your explanation makes total sense, but helps me little.  Rotating the model to have the Z seam aligned with the Layer X & Y start position might work for some models, but it would compromise the overall quality of the finished part for others.  Believe it or not, placing the model at a 45° angle vastly improves the look of the skin of the part when it is oval or oblong with a very slight curvature in cross section.  May seem trivial to some, but not to a customer expecting an accurate and aesthetically pleasing representation of the finished product. Virtually everything I print is hollow (we manufacture plastic bottles).

My suggestion wasn't to rotate the part, but to change the Layer XY Start Position to be the same as the Seam XY position. Those are two settings which control layer starting positions. The first setting determines where to start printing the inner walls and infill, etc. while the second one determines where to start the outer wall. I think your problem is fixed by setting the settings to the same value.

Turning Combing  Off results in excessive retractions and constant Z travel up and down at each layer.  Really ridiculous.  No Skin, moves the travel moves to the outside, effecting the part's skin condition with "bumps" at both the Z scar and the Layer X, Y start position.  And of course both options significantly increase print time.

I do not recommend turning combing off. The rattling sound isn't that bad, right? I cannot imagine that the rattling sound is new since 2.5....

• Replies 160
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tim, can't we use a similar technique here to what we with the new spiralize mode? For that, we determine the spiralized layer start vertices before going parallel. I could imagine that it would be possible do the same for non-spiralized models and then you would know where the start vertices for the inner insets should be. Wouldn't that solve the problem reported above by XYZDesignPro?

Yes we could, but it would only be needed when you print a part without infill and want to have a different Layer Start position than the Seam location, which can only be the case if you want a different seam location for different parts. The use-case for such a feature is just too small.

Perhaps it would be nice to have a feature to control the seam location of the inner walls, though I don't think we're going to invest time in this any time soon...

The outer part of the part looks good.   The inner is awful.  Lot's of marks and underextrusion going on.  The surface finish is ugly.

Underextrusion is most often a hardware issue. It could very well be that this problem coincidentally started when you started testing Cura 2.5. Please try the standard methods to try and resolve the issue on your printer.

Time for an atomic pull (or two)

My suggestion wasn't to rotate the part, but to change the Layer XY Start Position to be the same as the Seam XY position. Those are two settings which control layer starting positions. The first setting determines where to start printing the inner walls and infill, etc. while the second one determines where to start the outer wall. I think your problem is fixed by setting the settings to the same value.

Eureka you have solved it!! I did not know about the Layer X, Y, Start position setting as it is turned off by default. Furthermore, it's not in the Shell section of the Visability Settings, where I would have expected it to be, but rather in the Travel section. Go figure.

Thanks so very much for your input. How do I mark this "Best Answer"? :)

This morning we released the 2.5 final version. (download here)

I would like to thank you all for testing the 2.5-beta and giving feedback on what you liked and what you would like to see in upcoming versions. I have aggregated all input and some requests will certainly make it to the new version.

The Cura team did an amazing job on building new features, squashing all bugs and working together with me :)

We are already building the new 2.6 version and hope to start that beta in some weeks. Keep watching these forums to see when that happens!

• Like 2

Anyone else having issues with the layer view on a Mac with the release version? Locked or crashed my Mac several times today from what appears to be video kernel panics. On a positive note, I'm printing like a champ with this version and the new firmware on UM3.

This is now a release, no longer a Beta right? No fanfare? It deserves some.

I just upgraded and Wow!. This version kicks ass. Not that the prior versions were bad - just that this is a big jump forward. The enhanced layer viewer pops off the screen. I can now easily see and evaluate exactly every sliced layer. When I sliced my first part and saw the colored layer view (with the double slider) I was so thrilled, I laughed out loud. Literally

Slicing speed is now fast enough that I don't notice auto-slice. Now that the option is available to disable it, it seems less important than ever before - and I was a person who has long wanted a way to turn off auto-slice.

The upgrade from 2.3.1 went pretty well overall. My existing machine definitions and profiles came in mostly successfully. I had a problem maybe related to 2 settings imported in my pre-existing profile that would not allow slicing. Something was wrong with my Prime Tower Y Position (my UMO is single extrusion). Where do you define the number of nozzles? Unticking "Enable Prime Tower" from being a visible setting seemed to clear this up. My Regular/Max Fan Speed Threshold was longer than my min layer time. I have no prior recollection of this setting. Bumped it up and the error cleared. - And then.. chuckling

Great job! This software has come a long way in 10 months. I cannot remember any other software with such an accelerated development pace. You guys keep adding value to my old UMO. I can't wait to see what is down the road.

• Like 2

Where do you define the number of nozzles?

You can't. I'm working on that for Cura 2.6.

• Like 2

Hello,

I've just seen the release and it looks good. I see you took into account our feedback. Thanks, great job !! Let's fire a print and see how it goes :)

• Like 1

Why does Cura have so many rapid movements?

It seems to me that everything is printed one after the other (line types)!

This is no fun to watch and affects the print quality. Sometimes Cura drives in the circle without anything to extrude!

Here is an example video:

Hi everyone, this forum topic is now closed. We just released Cura 2.6 Beta. Please follow this link for more information and a new thread to share your feedback with us.

Many thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated!!