New firmware for Ultimaker 3, version 3.6

SandervG

Posted · New firmware for Ultimaker 3, version 3.6

Actualy, that tells me, there is some invalid text (invalid unicode, as far as I know) which cannot be handled.

If you remove that particular file from the drive, can you verify it still happens?

We will check on this end as well, but for us it's somewhat hard to reproduce (preparing special gcode files that contain some weird undecodable characters.

Also, what strikes me as odd, is that the faultHandler should display a warning on the screen (a warning can be ignored), but for some reason, it seems that this surpressed on the file selection screen. I will have a look at it as soon as I can.

• Replies 52
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I have a different kind of a problem. Could it be, that the new firmware silently changed the parsing of the G-Code file from UTF-8 to ASCII?

When I try to print a S3D sliced model (exported G-Code is UTF-8) it immediately stops with an error in line 1 and the log says:

Mar 29 15:17:22 ultimakersystem-ccbdd3000c63 python3.4[443]: UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 418: ordinal not in range(12Mar 29 15:17:22 ultimakersystem-ccbdd3000c63 python3.4[443]: 2017-03-29 15:17:22,877 INFO     faultHandler    warning(, Error while reading file 'Spray_Can_Rack_Improved.gcode', 28, {'file_line_nr': 1})Mar 29 15:17:22 ultimakersystem-ccbdd3000c63 python3.4[443]: 2017-03-29 15:17:22,880 WARNING  faultHandler    added Fault: L:WARNING C:FILE_ERROR M:Error while reading file 'Spray_Can_Rack_Improved.gcode'

When I slice a model with Cura Beta, it outputs ASCII and works fine.

We've done this change because GCode is basicly ASCII, and we've seen gcode files being corrupted on USB drives, causing the file being incomplete and the last bit being corrupted. Before, the corrupted part was silently ignored, and then the file finished without a message, while the print wasn't finished.

We've always read it as ascii, but before silently ignored encoding errors. So that causes this sudden shift.

Where does S3D use the UTF-8? This should be a simple fix on our side. Would be nice to know exactly what it exported for our internal documentation.

Where does S3D use the UTF-8? This should be a simple fix on our side. Would be nice to know exactly what it exported for our internal documentation.

The exported gcode file is encoded in UTF-8. I've sent you a PM on how to upload you an example file.

I’ve a little update on this issue.

When I tried to run the gcode file to an UTF-8 to ASCII converter it stopped because of a unconvertable character (‚ä‘ as in März, March in german) in the file.

It looks like S3D is using a system function to get a localized Date in short RFC format and if this contains a non ASCII character, it will automatically use UTF-8 for the export.

I'm also using S3D with the same issue.

A hot-workaround would be either setting the system's language to english before starting S3D, or to open the gcode file in an Text editor, remove the non-ASCII characters and convert the file (or, use iconv for example with the -c option which discards invalid characters).

Posted (edited) · New firmware for Ultimaker 3, version 3.6

If you have non-ASCII you could just make a 'remove' script on S3D to fix it in 5mins

List of postprocessing gcode available on S3D

{REPLACE "E" "A"} - search and replace for the text within quotes, in this example every "E" character would be replaced with an "A" character{PREPEND "G92 E0\n"} - prepends the specified text at the very beginning of the gcode file, note that the \n is converted into a true newline character, not two separate "\" and "n" characters{APPEND "G28 X0 Y0\n"} - appends the specified text to the very end of the gcode file{DELETE "M82\n"} - deletes every occurrence of the specified text from the gcode file, note that it will not automatically delete a line if it is suddenly empty after the deletion, so that is why you might want to include the \n at the end (so that the empty line is also removed){STRIP ";"} - completely deletes every line in the gcode file that begins with the specified text{TOOL0REPLACE "E" "A"} and {TOOL1REPLACE "E" "B"} - these special TOOL#REPLACE commands will do a search and replace, very similar to the{REPLACE} command, however, the replace only occurs if the specified tool is active. For example, when using TOOL1REPLACE, the replacement will only occur if tool 1 was currently active at that line of the gcode file

https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1959

Is something easy to implement

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I came here wanting to say after the firmware update,If I unplug the USB drive to load new files on it and then plug the drive back into the UM3 it will display nothing but "Return" I have to turn off and back on the UM3 again to get it to see the thumb drive again. Ive tried 3 thumb drives so far,All have the same problem.

I came here wanting to say after the firmware update,If I unplug the USB drive to load new files on it and then plug the drive back into the UM3 it will display nothing but "Return" I have to turn off and back on the UM3 again to get it to see the thumb drive again. Ive tried 3 thumb drives so far,All have the same problem.

While most of my errors have come from doing the same, I have encountered it when I have had to stop a failed print and tried to just go back in and use the same file.

Hi,

I have the same error with Simplify3D but it only appears with one STL :

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 535: ordinal not in range(128)

With S3D and only one STL, I have the encoding error too @SandervG :

Apr 05 18:04:05 ultimakersystem-ccbdd30010b9 python3.4[476]: 2017-04-05 18:04:05,503 ERROR gcodeFileHandler Error accessing file 'UM3_XT.gcode' at line 1.

Apr 05 18:04:05 ultimakersystem-ccbdd30010b9 python3.4[476]: Traceback (most recent call last):

Apr 05 18:04:05 ultimakersystem-ccbdd30010b9 python3.4[476]: File

"/usr/share/griffin/griffin/printer/fileHandlers/gcodeFileHandler.py", line 55, in run

Apr 05 18:04:05 ultimakersystem-ccbdd30010b9 python3.4[476]: line = f.readline()

Apr 05 18:04:05 ultimakersystem-ccbdd30010b9 python3.4[476]: File "/usr/lib/python3.4/encodings/ascii.py", line 26, in decode

Apr 05 18:04:05 ultimakersystem-ccbdd30010b9 python3.4[476]: return codecs.ascii_decode(input, self.errors)[0]

Apr 05 18:04:05 ultimakersystem-ccbdd30010b9 python3.4[476]: UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 535: ordinal not in range(128)

It is due to an extended char 'é' in the gcode file :

; G-Code generated by Simplify3D® Version 3.1.1

; avr. 5, 2017 at 2:49:19

; Settings Summary

; processName,Process1

; applyToModels,uper modifié avec le bon

A bug : try to print a gcode with an accent or 92 characters ... The screen turn off when you select the file before printing !

Just an FYI, for those who are still experiencing this, this thread has a link to the rollback version (with version number no less!!) and I have not seen this error pop up since. My errors were more intermittent than others, but if you want a roll back version (if you do not have one) go to this thread:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/40115-um3-just-stops-in-middle-of-print

Posted (edited) · New firmware for Ultimaker 3, version 3.6

I also have the issue with the USB stick not being recognized. FYI, when it happend I could also not connect to the printer over the (wired) network anymore, also could not reconnect with refresh, just had to reboot it.

Edited by Guest

Since I have rolled back my firmware, and am testing a few things, I can say that my USB problems went away. I had to pull an all nighter to try and get a large print setup properly for the comparative test on the firmware. That meant a lot of USB activity as I do not connect VIA Wifi or directly from the computer. No issues and I had that USB in and out many, many times last night and this morning.

I've created bug with the tracking number EM-1567 for the umlaut issue. It is twofold where the display code isn't accepting it and seemingly crashing, and it's not accepted in the gcode file when S3D generates a file. Not sure what the file list issue is, the other part is an easy fix.

• Like 1

I noticed on 3.5 if I remove the thumb drive to load a print to it, when reinserting the thumb drive the printer would detect it, however with 3.6 I need to turn the UM3 off and back on.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

Exactly the same problem, my previous firmware would notice the USB got inserted. If I would insert and go too quickly to print, it would be empty and then populate with the files on the drive. V3.6 only gets me the go back option, no file/usb notification occuring to refresh the contents.

I also have the issue with the USB stick not being recognized. FYI, when it happend I could also not connect to the printer over the (wired) network anymore, also could not reconnect with refresh, just had to reboot it.

Similar behavior here, my iPhone seems to always want to connect regardless which firmware, but the previous version at least would connect Cura again (after I had to run down and approve the access request). With v3.6 there is no popup on the server to approve and there is just no way to connect it again without having to restart the printer.

I'm not a bit fan of continuesly flipping the on/off switch and I found that if you switch on/off developer mode in the maintenance menu, it reboots the server. Probably better on the hardware than the on/off switch.

I noticed on 3.5 if I remove the thumb drive to load a print to it, when reinserting the thumb drive the printer would detect it, however with 3.6 I need to turn the UM3 off and back on. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Haven't tested this 100% but if you list the files to print, remove the USB and reinsert it. It does seem to refresh the file list. That would get you beyond having to reboot the printer. Need to see if listting the contents still works after you fininshed a print (from the USB).

If it doesnt, then you are just sh*t out of luck :-(

The build plate is

taking too long to

warm up.

Message on the LCD when trying to print with PC (ultimaker).

No way out.

I had to stop the printer from power button.

It should appear "Abort" option.

• Like 1

No, in case of an error, I also have to reboot the UM3 (https://ultimaker.com/en/community/42426-print-head-error-communication)

Error handling is the cornerstone of any programmer.

So, no. Is not ok to cut power.

PS. Also for manual leveling, an option for abort will be useful.

If something is wrong during leveling, you have to do the procedure till the end.

• Like 1

PS. Also for manual leveling, an option for abort will be useful.

If something is wrong during leveling, you have to do the procedure till the end.

I had that happen today. Burning the candle at both ends, I am a bit doofier than normal. I just keep hitting buttons until it is cycled through to the end and not actually doing any leveling.

I do agree that there should be an abort option to properly exit, but I jut wanted to pass along this because you can just go "blip, blip, blip..." until it is cycled out to the end. Much quicker than what I used to do which was level anyway.