New firmware for Ultimaker 3, version 3.6

SandervG

Posted (edited) · New firmware for Ultimaker 3, version 3.6

It has been a busy day today!

Besides a release of a new Beta Cura 2.5 (of which we are very curious to hear what you think!) we also released a new firmware for the Ultimaker 3. I know this is officially a hardware category, but I figured everyone here would care most about this firmware.

What can you expect?

• Adding missing features (compared to Ultimaker 2).
  • Adding diagnostic features to assist support / repair.
  • Adding features for future improved system integration.
  • Fixing critical bugs.
  • Improving user flow.

Some of my favorite improvements are that you can now change material during printing and the ability to set the lighting brightness like on the Ultimaker 2. There are also some pretty interesting added diagnostic features, high-value fixes and some more generic changes.

Curious? Read more about this new firmware here. Do you need help updating your firmware? Yes? check out this guide on our resource pages.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a small thing, I notice there's still an unnecessary move in the startup.

at heatup the head waits mid-front, but instead of moving directly to the prime position, it fisrt moving back to mid-right (photo).

I assume the heatup mid-front is for nice looks..... else I would say move directly to the prime position.

onnodigemove.thumb.png.4806293ba18f8449ec1006fa607d2858.png

edit: fyi, I'm not using auto level

onnodigemove.thumb.png.4806293ba18f8449ec1006fa607d2858.png

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · New firmware for Ultimaker 3, version 3.6

The mid front move during heatup is so you can safely remove any residue from the nozzle, without having to reach into the printer. Not sure why it would to the back after that, could be in the gcode, as it might think it still need to switch the nozzle up/down.

I noticed on 3.5 if I remove the thumb drive to load a print to it, when reinserting the thumb drive the printer would detect it, however with 3.6 I need to turn the UM3 off and back on. Is anyone else experiencing this?

We've seen the same behaviour at random in the office. So far I've not been able to link it to a specific firmware version, and it seems to happen at random for us.

I am experiencing significant issues with this firmware version 3.6. After updating the firmware to 3.6 on my Ultimaker 3 unit, it loses Wi-Fi connection in seconds. UM3 Also stopped recognizing its NFC hardware after the update to firmware 3.6.

I subsequently downgraded the firmware to 3.4 via a USB stick, and this restored the UM3's ability to print via Wi-Fi, and it restored its ability to recognize NFC chips (I had saved the older 3.4 firmware version on my Mac a few months ago, just in case). Printer continues to work fined under 3.4 but not under 3.6.

To check that this wasn't a fluke, I performed the upgrade from 3.4 to 3.6 twice - once via WiFi and once via download onto USB stick - in both cases with the same result (WiFi and NFC stopped working in 3.6). Also performed a "factory reset” via the UM3 menu in 3.6, but that did not fix the WiFi or the NFC functionality (note that even when it establishes it own WiFi hotspot as part of the setup process in 3.6, the WiFi connections to the UM3 are lost in less than a second, from both PCs or Macs)

I haven't had any issues with this UM3 so far, and had no issues upgrading the firmware when new versions were released up to version 3.4. Not sure what to do next.

This is rather disappointing …

I have only had this happen (USB difficulties) since upgrading to this firmware version. I think there is a bit of a mismatch between Cura and the current firmware update that  will be resolved (I hope, as this is just conjecture) when Cura 2.5 is released.

One reason for this belief is that there are new features in the firmware that are being addressed in the new version, such as firmware can support CPE+ but 2.4 does not. There is also the strange move of the print-head that happens when it first primes the nozzle. Extruder 2 seems ok, but extruder 1 will move outward towards the print and then back up into the puddle it primed out and drag it around. Little things like that can have strange ripple effects throughout.

Edited by Guest

I am experiencing significant issues with this firmware version 3.6. After updating the firmware to 3.6 on my Ultimaker 3 unit, it loses Wi-Fi connection in seconds. UM3 Also stopped recognizing its NFC hardware after the update to firmware 3.6.

I subsequently downgraded the firmware to 3.4 via a USB stick, and this restored the UM3's ability to print via Wi-Fi, and it restored its ability to recognize NFC chips  (I had saved the older 3.4 firmware version on my Mac a few months ago, just in case). Printer continues to work fined under 3.4 but not under 3.6.

To check that this wasn't a fluke, I performed the upgrade from 3.4 to 3.6 twice - once via WiFi and once via download onto USB stick - in both cases with the same result (WiFi and NFC stopped working in 3.6). Also performed a "factory reset” via the UM3 menu in 3.6, but that did not fix the WiFi or the NFC functionality (note that even when it establishes it own WiFi hotspot as part of the setup process in 3.6, the WiFi connections to the UM3 are lost in less than a second, from both PCs or Macs)

I haven't had any issues with this UM3 so far, and had no issues upgrading the firmware when new versions were released up to version 3.4.  Not sure what to do next.

This is rather disappointing  …

That is rather odd. WiFi was generally unstable in 3.4, as well for NFC. Which exact minor version of 3.4 did you save?

Is Cura losing the printer WiFi connection or is the printer dropping of the network? (If you go to the printer to the network status menu, if it switches between connected and not connected, then it's the printer)

3.6 has NFC testing menus in the diagnostics.

Do you want a copy of the 3.5 firmware as well to see how that behaves? That could help in diagnosing this problem.

(We did test this firmware for 2 weeks on our testing fleet of 30 printers, with WiFi and NFC. I'm not saying your problem isn't real. Just want to figure out what is different in your setup then our testing setup, and why we didn't catch the problem you are having)

I have only had this happen (USB difficulties) since upgrading to this firmware version.

+1 ! After every print (S3D on USB stick), I have to restart the UM3 !

I have only had this happen (USB difficulties) since upgrading to this firmware version.

Mine is more intermittent. I know it is a problem when I see that it only has the "Print symbol" when I go into the print mode on the UM3+.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with the 3.6 release.

It would help, if you would perform the update once more, and if / when things go sour again with the WiFi or NFC perform a couple of steps to maybe pinpoint the issues:

1. If the NFC stops working, can you send screenshots of the NFC diagnostic screens. These can be found under System -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> NFC spool holder test and NFC reader test

2. When the WiFi stops working, a screen shot of the network connection screen. This can be found under System -> Network -> Connection Status

3. And the logs, which can be dumped to USB using System -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Dump logs to USB

Thanks in advance!

This applies to all of you who are experiencing these kinds of issue.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

What is happening exactly? "USB difficulties" is a bit vague, the exact symptoms would be nice to know.

It displays there is no file on the USB card.

Instead of restarting, would taking the USB drive out, wait a few seconds, put it back in also fix the problem?

Can you try with another USB drive and experience the same behavior?

Instead of restarting, would taking the USB drive out, wait a few seconds, put it back in also fix the problem?

Can you try with another USB drive and experience the same behavior?

I have tried that and it made no difference. Even the display changes in the print mode. It only displays "Return" and the print symbol.

As soon as it happens again, I will take a pic. But, I cannot dump logs if it cannot see the USB...yes? No?

I am not WIFI'd or etherneted.

I had the issue with another UM3

I have tried that and it made no difference. Even the display changes in the print mode. It only displays "Return" and the print symbol.

As soon as it happens again, I will take a pic. But, I cannot dump logs if it cannot see the USB...yes? No?

Correct, if it cannot read / mount the usb drive, it would not be possible to dump logs.

However, if you can dump logs, something really weird is happening, in which case the logs could help.

Also, I'm curious to see, if after even an attempt of dumping the logs, the problem would be solved. Dumping the logs remounts the USB drive, and might make it visible again.

Edited by Guest

Correct, if it cannot read / mount the usb drive, it would not be possible to dump logs.

However, if you can dump logs, something really weird is happening, in which case the logs could help.

Also, I'm curious to see, if after even an attempt of dumping the logs, the problem would be solved. Dumping the logs remounts the USB drive, and might make it visible again.

I'll add that to my list of "Things to do" when it happens again. My errors are more intermittent than some here though. But, maybe it needs to be jump started by trying to dump the logs. Will let you know when it happens again.

Note, you can still dump the logs after restarting the printer, as this still contains information about the previous "run". So even if dump to logs doesn't work directly, dumping the logs after a restart has value for us.

Note, you can still dump the logs after restarting the printer, as this still contains information about the previous "run". So even if dump to logs doesn't work directly, dumping the logs after a restart has value for us.

Roger that. Good to know the restart does not wipe the log info. My prints are taking many hours and the error is intermittent. As soon as I have it, I will go through the steps and let you know what I find.

OK...just woke up with only a little sleep (print finished) and at least remembered to take the picture of the error message. Forgot all the other steps....duhhhhhh....will try again when it happens.

But, here is the pic of the error message I get...basically nothing but a 'return' and the 'print symbol' with USB Drive lettering. Nothing else.

USBFailure.jpg

• Like 2

I have that also on mine.

Other thing i noticed i during the start of the print, if i have the auto leveling procedure before the print (i set it to everytime i think), the auto leveling is done, and after that the print cores remain to 175°c both while waiting for the bed to heat.

Shouldn't they go back to 0 while waiting?

• Like 1

Hi,

I have a different kind of a problem. Could it be, that the new firmware silently changed the parsing of the G-Code file from UTF-8 to ASCII?

When I try to print a S3D sliced model (exported G-Code is UTF-8) it immediately stops with an error in line 1 and the log says:

Mar 29 15:17:22 ultimakersystem-ccbdd3000c63 python3.4[443]: UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 418: ordinal not in range(128)Mar 29 15:17:22 ultimakersystem-ccbdd3000c63 python3.4[443]: 2017-03-29 15:17:22,877 INFO     faultHandler    warning(, Error while reading file 'Spray_Can_Rack_Improved.gcode', 28, {'file_line_nr': 1})Mar 29 15:17:22 ultimakersystem-ccbdd3000c63 python3.4[443]: 2017-03-29 15:17:22,880 WARNING  faultHandler    added Fault: L:WARNING C:FILE_ERROR M:Error while reading file 'Spray_Can_Rack_Improved.gcode'

When I slice a model with Cura Beta, it outputs ASCII and works fine.