Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
BWilt

Print to stick

I just got the Ultimaker 3 I today and I have been setting it up. I was wondering what the best method to get a build to stick to the plate is. Can I just print right on the glass or do I need to use a glue stick or some painters tape? I will start using Pla but do different materials stick best to different beds?

Thanks!

PVA gluestick is good for PLA & the PVA filament. Just spread on your plate & then spread it around with a wet paper towel. & dry with the heated bed.

ABS is a little trickier you can use some ABS slurry ( ABS partially dissolved in some acetone ).

Or some Kapton tape. Which is much cleaner than the slurry & less smelly.

Just stick the Kapton to your bed & rough up with some 400 grit wet n dry ( clean afterwards ) it's really good & it's what I've found most effective. & can be reused over and over if you remove your print carefully, & when you want to print on glass again flip the glass plate over & leave the Kapton in place.

Which seems to not cause any problems. Luckily I had another plate given me so I now swap them back n forth depending on what I'm printing.

But there's a Myriad of different techniques to get your print to stick & there's more than a few videos on the subject ...finding one you like is another story altogether : D

....But there's a Myriad of different techniques to get your print to stick & there's more than a few videos on the subject ...finding one you like is another story altogether : D

I completely agree as each scenario you explore will be dependent on a few factors such as brand used and environmental conditions.

It will be a completely personal choice requiring the exploration mentioned here.