Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Tiger91

Frequently clogging nozzle (UM3)

Hi,

I've had my UM3 for a few weeks and it seems that after every 3-4 prints I have to manually clean out the nozzle regardless of what I do or what material I use.  None of my other printers were so prone to jamming - is it something I'm doing wrong or a defect in design?

Edited by Guest

What materials are you printing with and what core(s) have been clogging?

I have only ever had one core block and that was the BB core and PVA with too much water content.

Are you allowing the printer to finish its cooldown steps? Do you turn the print off straight after it has parked the head back in the corner?

What materials are you printing with and what core(s) have been clogging?

I have only ever had one core block and that was the BB core and PVA with too much water content.

Are you allowing the printer to finish its cooldown steps? Do you turn the print off straight after it has parked the head back in the corner?

Both types (AA and BB) have clogged at different times.

I allow the printer to cooldown if I'm not printing anything else soon, otherwise I'll just do a begin next print as it seems to fail quite often.

When you mix PLA and ABS in the same core you are asking for trouble (and gettingit!).

A little PLA is always stuck somewhere down there after change of material.

Then when you print ABS at higher temperatures, the little PLA is stuck "forever", and makes

for build up of filament.

Lots of cold pulls can help you

The combination of UM materials with Cura with default profiles should *never* jam for materials like PLA and ABS. Mixing the two in one print core is not advised, but should work most of the time. Flush the old material out, beginning at the higher melt temperature. Embedded sw does not (yet) do this.

PVA is a different story, although with UM PVA, Cura and default settings it does work reliable, but you have to watch the climate. Stay below 28degC and 55% humidity and you're fine. Above that, reliability goes down.

Do you use ultimaker materials?

And do you use Cura, with the default profiles?

Hi,

Well, I have my UM3 for a few months now. In the meantime I've had several clogging problems. Most could easily be solved with all the tips and tricks you can find on the internet. However, two cores seem to be beyond cleaning. That is 200 EUROs.

I also have a UM original. There you could take the nozzle of and e.g. dump it into boiling water or use a blow torch. It always worked.

UM should provide proper cleaning instructions. They talk about a 0.4mm needle. So, great, provide it. And produce print cores that can be taken apart. 100 EURO's after about 50 prints isn't acceptable.

For the rest, UM3 is a great printer, but this clogging thing is really a pain in the ...

Nils

Hi Nils,

Clogging should not happen. If you experience clogging, maybe we can help you find the root cause.

And secondly, maybe we can help you clean the 2 cores. Our experience is that even the worst clogs can be unclogged without taking the unit apart.

Let's start with trying to find the cause of your clogs.

What material do you experience your clogs with?

Which slicer do you use? And what settings?

Are there any events that you think could have caused your clogs?

And secondly, maybe we can help you clean the 2 cores. Our experience is that even the worst clogs can be unclogged without taking the unit apart.

Let's test this. ;) How would do you unclog a BB core in which you cannot insert any material from top far enough it gets soft?

Edited by Guest

I think we haven't ever seen that. So I don't know.

I actually ran into this issue last night. I referenced it in more detail here. Mine was in the AA core, but I think the situation would be very much if not the same. But the short answer is this:

If your filament has been chewed a bit, it can cause a weak spot that can jam into the very top of the core entrance. The abrasion raises some surface areas a bit, this can cause it to lodge in the top of the nozzle.

The bottom will eventually drain out, for lack of a better term, leaving a gap between hot part and nozzle entrance. And, with pressure, it will break at the weakened area in the filament if it cannot be heated to allow smooth extraction.

I had to take the nozzle out and with needle nose pliers, work the bit of filament out of the top of the nozzle. It was a bit of grab, wiggle, pull, slip and repeat until it freed up.

But, I did encounter it last night of all things. It was 3AM and did not think to take a pic though :(Dangit.....

Edited by Guest