PVA Support looking pretty bad

exforma23

Posted · PVA Support looking pretty bad

I'm having trouble printing PLA with PVA support. See image below. I've tried a few different patterns and density. I've tried gluestick & hairspray. I tried manual level and Auto.

I keep getting the same result of PVA that sticks fine to the bed but then won't stick to itself. It looks like a sloppy mess. Are there settings that can improve this

And slightly off topic...

I am experimenting with the "support interface" feature. When I enable this feature It gives me the support "roof" that I want. But, it also gives me a support "floor" under the entire object. I'd prefer that the PLA parts that touch the buildplate would be a PLA-to-glass connection rather than the PLA-to-Thin PVA layer-to-Glass connection that is automatically created when "support Interface" is enabled.

I hope I am describing this adequately.

Is there a way to get the PLA stuck directly to the glass when "support interface" is enabled?

Which slicer are you using? I think this does not come from Cura, at least not with the default PLA/PVA profiles.

The PVA below your PLA is strange. It looks to me as if the object is not touching the buildplate properly, so that the slicer decides to fill the gap with a layer of PVA.

Maybe you can move the object 0.2mm down "into" the bed? Or press "lay flat" in the rotate menu on the left?

tomnagel,

This is from Cura 2.4.0

This is one of several attempts at PVA support and uses the "zigzag" setting.

The PVA elevated off the bed is the result of using the "support interface" feature in Cura that creates a "roof" and a "floor". It automatically creates the floor under the entire object.

"Lay Flat" was already used and resulted in what you see.

When I turn off support the PVA lays flat against the bed.

I believe that I figured out the gooey issue with the PVA (my temps were too low).

However, the default behavior of the "support interface" elevating the object for a floor is still problematic. I'd like to be able to have a "roof" without having a "floor". However, this option does not appear to be available in Cura 2.4.0

When I turn off support the PVA lays flat against the bed.

This should say "PLA lays flat"

I advice you to use the default PVA profiles (triangular support and optimized speeds and temperatures) and try again.

If your object is touching the build plate it should not make a layer of PVA at the bottom. You can check this by looking at the first layer. If this is not the case, you can give a negative value to Z (first disable automatically drop model to buildplate in cura - preferences).

Alternatively, it is possible to set different values for roof/bottom of the interface at "support interface thickness".

Good luck

Just saying, but you don't need support for that model ;)

Strange that it's not flat on the build plate?

The PVA profile works quite nicely, i like to add a brim in PVA it helps the supports to stay in place

I agree with KristelB: go for the default profiles.

If your hardware is okay, and you use Ultimaker materials, results are very reliable for most models (I must be careful, one can always find a models for which it does not perform optimally).

So first try to get good results with the default profiles, and only then start playing around with the settings yourself

DidierKlein,

Yeah I know. no need for PVA anyway. Just experimenting with settings.

My goal is to use PVA for the support interface but PLA for the support which is supposed to be a new option.

KristelB,

As I mentioned previously, the object is flat on the plate and prints fine when support is disabled. Cura is elevating the part when I enable "support interface"

I have had plenty of success with the default profiles.

I have reason to want to use "support interface" which means that I will not adjusting the default profile.

I can print with a floor PVA floor under the part, I'd just prefer not to so that I get better adhesion.