Ultimaker 3 vs LulzBot TAZ 6

Posted · Ultimaker 3 vs LulzBot TAZ 6

hey guys im new to the 3d printing world,

currently i have been given the task by my workshop to gather info about 3d printers as we are looking for one.

we will be making replacement parts, little and bigger project boxes, etc.

i like the the look of specs both the Ultimaker 3 and LulzBot TAZ 6 what are some benefits and concerns about both and any other solutions will be appreciated.

cheers

I looked at a lot of printers when I wanted to get my first one. I can tell you why I went with Ultimaker to start with:

1. It is a complete ecosystem that is still open source. By this I mean that it has its own filament system and profiles setup for that system. Makes it easier to learn on and then branch out.

2. I liked the mostly enclosed volume.

3. I am not crazy about the printers that move the bed as well as the print heads. That increases the footprint. That is a real concern in tiny Brooklyn Apartments, and I have one that is bigger than most. But by the time I put in my own dry box setup to feed materials, it will grow. But it will not move and can adjust where and what size boxes I make them from.

4. This does not mean I will not get a Lulzbot as they are worth serious consideration. Just looking at it from the noob perspective.

I've heard a lot of good about the Lulzbot but agree with the above....I do not like the bedplate moving for prints. I prefer the enclosed setup, so that some filaments that need to have special considerations for heat/venting can be addressed easier.

I've watched a lot of Lulzbot 6 reviews and they have really left me underwhelmed. Nothing really made me go "Wow".

The Ultimaker 3 is a very well tuned machine. Frequent improvements and strong community support for it. The print resolution is outstanding and the PVA supports are very impressive.

The Cura software makes using it a cinch.

The Ultimaker 3 will set you further back financially than the Lulzbot, but if you're after very high quality prints, the 3 wins.

If you consider the Lulzbot, you should also look at the Orginal Prusa MK2, from the user reviews the printquality are practical the same as Ultimaker, but the price is much lower than both the Lulzbot and Ultimaker, its just the popularity have driven the deliverytime crazy high, you can get 3 Prusa printers for the price of 1 Lulzbot.

• Like 1

Do you need dual heads or not? Because if you don't you might be better with an Ultimaker 2+, but if you need to print with soluble support or multi materials then the Ultimaker 3 is a good choice.

The Taz 6 looks quite good, i don't know the machine personnaly, i think it's more for tinkerers than the Ultimaker 3, the build volume looks quite interesting

If you consider the Lulzbot, you should also look at the Orginal Prusa MK2, from the user reviews the printquality are practical the same as Ultimaker, but the price is much lower than both the Lulzbot and Ultimaker, its just the popularity have driven the deliverytime crazy high, you can get 3 Prusa printers for the price of 1 Lulzbot.

Be aware that there's a 10-12 week back order on the Original Prusa Mk2 (according to their order site)

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 vs LulzBot TAZ 6

I have owned both the Taz5 and Taz6 with the single extruder head, dual extruder head and even their flexyhead.

Ultimaker 3 is better in every way except in buildplate size.

Even if i ignore the multitude of quality control issues with the LulzBot head (they did it right by replacing 2 different heads), you just can't get the same print quality as an Ultimaker. On the 3 you can even pritn with water soluble materials, very easily. The LulzBot have a HUGE design flaw that you can't really overcome... the bigger/heavier the head, the more issues you have when trying to get high quality prints (wasted a month because of that, after hundreds of e-mails out, i was basically told 'its just the way it is').

Ultimaker all the way, i actually sold both the Taz5 and Taz6 since they are useless when i have 4 Ultimaker 3's here. For the 1 out of 20 prints that i need bigger, i'll cut a piece and glue it post processing...

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I wouldn't say that I am pro TAZ6, because I currently have 1 ultimaker 3 and 1 more on the way. This is after getting rid of a Prusa i3 MK2 and Rostock Max V2. However if you do go that route it looks like they are doing a sale on them in the US, and I would assume the same would go for distributors in Australia.

I've never used the Taz, but I'm a relatively new UM3 owner and my experience with the printer has been superb. I also have a Prusa i3 MK2, which creates exceptional quality prints - but nothing compared to the UM3. Coming from the Prusa which has a bed movement model similar to the Taz (Y and Z) I'd definitely saying having the bed move in only one axis, like the UM3, is significantly better.

I use my UM3 to print parts for a shop on Etsy and this thing, with a 0.8mm nozzle, has been cranking out the prints! I have to order filament (eSun 2.85) every week!

• Like 1