Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
kmanstudios

Humunculi print

This is a fractal I found (I don't know if you can 'make' a fractal deterministically). I used Incendia to make it. I am showing it because way back when I was studying Cura before getting the printer, I posted a screenshot and it was noted to be a difficult print. So, it came out fine and I credit the printer. If any of you have read the 'Noobverse' Posts, you will see just how much of a noob I really am.

File render:

Humunculi.jpg

Printed piece (painted) without flash:

Humunculi_NoFlash.jpg

and with flash:

Humunculi_Flash.jpg

Printed in Ultimaker Nylon (Transparent) and painted with a layer of Krylon base then oils and gold model paint to accent the ridges. Went for that old metal look....sorta.....

• Like 1

If I google 'Humunculi' I am being corrected into 'Homunculi' and it tells me it means little man / a microscopic but fully formed human being from which a fetus was formerly believed to develop.

I am curious to see/read some background info on what exactly I am looking at ;) (but it looks pretty good, and I think you did a good job on the paint! Was it hard to paint over Nylon?)

If I google 'Humunculi' I am being corrected into 'Homunculi' and it tells me it means little man / a microscopic but fully formed human being from which a fetus was formerly believed to develop.

I am curious to see/read some background info on what exactly I am looking at ;)(but it looks pretty good, and I think you did a good job on the paint! Was it hard to paint over Nylon?)

That would be the proper spelling. I  just did not check the first time and then decided I did like the misspelling.

It is a fractal that I found winding through different types of fractals and playing with settings until I got something that caught my eye.

I called it Humunculi because, to me, it looks a bit like a person with a smaller person inside.

Not all homunculi were microscopic though. In some myths and stories, they were the 'familiars' to a sorcerer and were just small things to go out and spy and bring back information.

There are variations on this depending on the source.

Edit: Oh! The painting!! I found that using an acetone based paint, or something like that, would seem to sink in a bit and stiffen the nylon as well as provide a good primer to paint on.

When I get my Allosaurus I am making for my daughter finished, I will post it as it was printed in Nylon and then painted in a few ways.

But I am finding that the primer you choose will make a great difference.

Edited by Guest