Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
corngolem

Fiber glass bed to replace heated bed for ABS printing

A sales person from mbot3d.com is telling me that their MBot 3D printer has a fibre glass unheated bed that is suitable for ABS printing. ABS sticks so well that you need a blade to separate the print from the bed. The sales person also says that Bits From Bytes has been doing the same.

If it's true it would be a little miracle as any printer could be made to print ABS just by switching for a fiber glass bed of the same dimensions.

What is known about this ?

there are a number of printers that use fiberglass (PCBs) as printing surface. It doesn't eliminate the physical shrinkage of ABS, and the resulting delamitation forces, with easily warp even standard 1.6mm boards, while the ABS is attached to it. it may get better when you use 2-3mm boards, but then it becomes a struggle to remove the print from the board as well (unless you use a pegboard with pins to push off your print)