Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
tom

Removing PLA from the stage.

So I started a print this morning. I left for a moment as everything seemed to be working as expected. When I came back 2-3 layers in I found the print head must have snagged my tape and managed to cut out a perfect little square where the base of the print was. While this was interesting since there was a little ball of crumpled tape off to the side it left me with an issue. I let the print finish, unfortunately the bottom couple of layers snapped off when I went to remove it. So long story short, I had read about how well Pla sticks to acrylic but holy crap. Heh that stuff doesn't want to come off no matter how much I scrape. Ive managed to get it down to the last layer or two with a majority of those gone as well but now my efforts seem futile. Any suggestions? Could I just blowtorch it off thereby removing the scuff marks I made with my scraper as well?

As always thanks in advance for your help guys!

My reasoning is that it's the same principle as a heat bed: makes the acrylic warm. When the heating/cooling takes place it loosens the bond between the PLA, tape and the acrylic.

(Based on the two hair dryers i've owned) most hair dryer come with "line" nozzle attachement, mine is about 1.5cm wide which fits nicely in the back (where the small "ultimaker" is written).

Note for those planning to print a nozzle adapter: the tip of hair dryer gets really hot, it will melt PLA.