How about rewriting the help texts in Cura?

mhotze

Posted · How about rewriting the help texts in Cura?

"Maximum Fan Speed

The Speed at which the fans spin on the minimum layer time. The fan speed gradually increases between the regular fan speed and the maximum fan speed when the treshold is hit."

What? Reading. Reading again. And again. Does not help much. What is Cura trying to tell me? Fans spinning on minimum layer time? Fans spin on electricity. And I guess until minimum layer time, fans spin at regular speed? Which treshold? And probably the fans go from regular to max after the treshold is reached, not at the instant some threshold is hit, and still there's something of a gradual increase, some contradiction there. Hmm. How gradual? Damn...

Above rewritten:

Maximum Fan Speed

This setting defines the maximum fan speed. When the "Regular/Maximum fan Speed Treshold" is reached, the fan gradually increases between regular fan speed and maximum fan speed.

...and that's just an example.

The Cura Manual (https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/20406-installation-cura-2-1) covers the Cooling setting more in depth than pop-ups ever could. It even has illustrations. :)

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/20421-cooling

However, Cura is an open-source community effort and there have been requests before on this forum for translators for the manual as well as the application.

All the balloon help / pop-up text for these settings can be found in the Cura app folder under /resources/definitions/fdmprinter.def.json

You could make your changes to that file and then submit it to the Cura team for review. I bet that would take a load off their plate!

Cura is an open-source community effort and there have been requests before on this forum for translators for the manual as well as the application [...] You could make your changes [...] and submit it to the Cura team for review. I bet that would take a load off their plate!

I'm aware of that and all effort on Cura appreciated. I'm tempted to help, a bit off-topic, but I wonder if Cura is 100% a community effort. I think it's hugely promoted by Ultimaker, it came with my UM3, which a paid >>3k for. I think that's the underlying reason for some frustration, but I'm open to help as well. Does Ultimaker hire on project basis :p?

From personal experience I can tell you that being active on github can get you invited to work with the Cura team. It was an awesome year, but I have stepped back to be one of the community contributors again.

I'm tempted to help, a bit off-topic, but I wonder if Cura is 100% a community effort.

It is, but ultimaker does pay for the brunt of the work that's being done. But AlephObjects (LulzBot) also put in effort, as do a number of community contributors.

Does Ultimaker hire on project basis :p?

I think we do. But as fieldofview mentioned; Do help out. We do offer contracts to active community contributors (As Ultimaker benefits from big improvements, we feel that at some point people should be awarded at some point ;))

Posted (edited) · How about rewriting the help texts in Cura?

My 2c:

You don't get this level of effort, quality, or continuous updates from a 100% community supported development effort. Yes, there is a corporation behind Cura, but they have dedicated this software to be 100% open source. You don't see that with any of the other corporate efforts out there (S3D, Crapware..er Craftware, Slic3r). None of these have had a release in the past year (Slic3r is finally coming out with their first stable one since 2014!) and none of them give you the source code! (edit: ok, Slic3r does)

Then you have Marlin, a fully 100% community effort which hasn't had a stable release since May 2015 and their latest RC8 has been sitting since Dec last year.

You're also not locked into using only Cura with your UM3 unlike other high-end 3D Printers out there. Again S3d, Slic3r, Crapw..Craftware, etc. will all work (well, maybe not Craftware, but that's nothing to do with UM3) :p

You can fork, download, edit, modify, customize Cura to your hearts content, and keep all the changes for yourself, if you want. Or better yet, upload your changes and submit a pull request to help everyone out.

Edited by Guest