How to prepare model from image based 3D modelling

Posted (edited) · How to prepare model from image based 3D modelling

Hi everyone,

we have just got the new Ultimaker 3 Extended so I am very new to all of this - but here goes my question.

We are focused on Image Based 3D modelling (Structure from Motion). We create 3D models from aerial and "earth-bound" photogrammetry - see my models here.

We use Agisoft PhotoScan for the 3D model creation. Most of my models have geographical coordinates (which shouldn't mind).

The problem with my models is that they are not "closed" - just a "shell" - as can be seen here, if you turn the model "upside down".

The source data (STL) may be downloaded here..

What software should I use to build the "volume" (base and the side walls) of my 3D model??

Thank you for any help and any tip.

Jan

Edited by Guest

It depends on what you want to do.

I have experience in 3DS MAX (Former ACI) and am learning Blender and 3D Coat.

I would imagine that Blender and 3D Coat would be able to either add thickness or some such.

If the scan results present a contiguous surface, here are steps to fix in 3DS MAX in almost any version ever made.

1. Import model

2. Convert to Editable Poly. Much more robust than standard mesh type and better tools to work with. Z is the vertical axis in 3DS MAX and Cura.

3. Go to 'Element' Subobject and click around. If all of it gets selected, then it is properly welded into a single element. If it just selects portions, then do steps 4-6. If it selects all of the model while in Element Subobject, Then go to step 7.

4. Go into vertex mode and select all.

5. Choose the 'Caddy box' next to weld. The caddy is a modeless dialogue that allows you to change settings and test the result without having to try, undo and change, then try again. The Checkmark is  the 'Accept and close Caddy' command. The red 'X' is the exit. The Green Plus symbol is accept and be ready for the next changes to try. I suggest check mark or red x until you are familiar with it.

6. Do a weld with the minimum distance threshold to make sure the whole model is one piece. Too high of a threshold and it will start to 'lump' vertices together and ruin the integrity of the scan. You basically only want to weld vertices that are either on top of each other or just really, really close.

7. Choose 'Border' subobject mode and click on the outside edge. This will select any edge that is continuous around a 'hole.' The outside edge will see the open space as a 'hole.'

8. With the Border (Edges around a hole) is selected, hold down the 'shift' key on the keyboard and move it downward away from the top. Clear a lot of area since you want to be able to grab stuff easily and then move to proper location. As a note, the shift and transform of anything in 3DS MAX is a cloning operation and will clone the edges/border while creating a connection/surface between the old and new edges/border.

9. With the new border (created during move and shift cloning) selected, go to the modifier panel and click on 'CAP'. This will create a polygon that seals the model into a manifold object.

10. Go to the Polygon subobject and select the new capped surface. Then navigate, in the modifier panel, to the make planar tab. This will make the polygon bottom flat. You can click the 'Make Planar' button or the x, y or z buttons next to it. Since it would be a surface scan as you linked to, I suggest the Z direction since it will flatten the bottom nicely. This is assuming that your new surface needs to sit firmly on the 0 (Zero) - Z axis point.

I hope that made sense.

Edited by Guest

Posted · How to prepare model from image based 3D modelling

It depends on what you want to do.

I have experience in 3DS MAX (Former ACI) and am learning Blender and 3D Coat.

I would imagine that Blender and 3D Coat would be able to either add thickness or some such.

If the scan results present a contiguous surface, here are steps to fix in 3DS MAX in almost any version ever made.

Thank you very much for such a detailed workflow - I will definitely give it a try.

Jan

Thank you very much for such a detailed workflow - I will definitely give it a try.

Jan

Oh, you are quite welcome. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions. I am a fountain of information and BS LOL...

But, I seriously do know 3DS MAX inside out and am always happy to share knowledge. :) Or, just ask here so everyone can benefit....

Jan

Oh, you are quite welcome. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions. I am a fountain of information and BS LOL...

But, I seriously do know 3DS MAX inside out and am always happy to share knowledge. :)Or, just ask here so everyone can benefit....

Hi - I got succesfully to point 7. When I press the "shift", click on the selected edge and move the mouse down - it will start drawing something like "selection box" ... and the edge won't move down ... guess that I am doing something wrong :)

Thanks for your time

Jan

Are you in the Border Suboject mode of Editable poly? And make sure you use the transform gizmo arrows. This will keep you from selecting or deselecting as well as lock the motion into the direction you want to move in. A border is just a special instance of edges where it surrounds a hole.

To get a feel, try just clicking on a box (one you make) and do the shift/transform cloning action. It works exactly the same.

What version are you on?

@packy_gis,

3ds Max is a powerful tool, but I haven't been able to spend much time to learn it yet. However, a tool that I do have more experience with is Meshmixer. Although it is a free tool, I was able to use it to extrude your STL file and add a closed off flat bottom, making it a water-tight model for printing.

If you decide to try Meshmixer, the basic steps to accomplish this are:

1) Ctrl-A to select the entire model

2) Edit / Extrude; extrude in the Y-direction with an Offset of about 100mm; Accept and Clear Selection

3) Edit / Plane Cut; move cutting plane to where you want it and Accept

4) Analysis / Inspector / Auto Repair All to clean up the model

You will have to be a bit patient for your computer to process each step because this file is big (~3.8 million triangles)

@packy_gis,

3ds Max is a powerful tool, but I haven't been able to spend much time to learn it yet.  However, a tool that I do have more experience with is Meshmixer.  Although it is a free tool, I was able to use it to extrude your STL file and add a closed off flat bottom, making it a water-tight model for printing.

If you decide to try Meshmixer, the basic steps to accomplish this are:

1) Ctrl-A to select the entire model

2) Edit / Extrude; extrude in the Y-direction with an Offset of about 100mm; Accept and Clear Selection

3) Edit / Plane Cut; move cutting plane to where you want it and Accept

4) Analysis / Inspector / Auto Repair All to clean up the model

You will have to be a bit patient for your computer to process each step because this file is big (~3.8 million triangles)

That is good to know as I am moving away from Autodesk in all its varied forms.

Sorry to tell you this, but Meshmixer is an Autodesk tool too...but at least it's free.

Sorry to tell you this, but Meshmixer is an Autodesk tool too...but at least it's free.

:( :( :( :(

Wonder how long the Free part will last with those clowns.

:( :(:(:(

From what I heard, the main developer of Meshmixer left the company, but they have had a couple of version releases since then recently. Some of the functionality has been incorporated into ReMake, but that's not as easy to use--and costs money.

I hope Autodesk keeps their maker-oriented free tools available, but I've already seen some of them being discontinued, such as the 123Dapp site.

:( :(:(:(

From what I heard, the main developer of Meshmixer left the company, but they have had a couple of version releases since then recently.  Some of the functionality has been incorporated into ReMake, but that's not as easy to use--and costs money.

I hope Autodesk keeps their maker-oriented free tools available, but I've already seen some of them being discontinued, such as the 123Dapp site.

They have a very bad habit of doing that. Their innovation has gone downhill for years and their yearly "upgrades" barely qualify as a point release by most standards.

They also acquire products, fold them in, and then never upgrade them again. Take the 'Canvas' feature in 3DS MAX. Put it in and never made it better. It was low grade quality when it was implemented and poorly integrated, and it never got upgraded.

And when their subscription model means half the price of the product per year, it is time to look for alternatives.

for instance, MudBox.....

3D Coat is far superior in every way. And, wow of wows....you actually own it and get to participate, freely in their beta development much like here. And, oh mercy me, 3D Coat is responsive and no excuses!

I reported bugs to them for years, then met a rep and told him. His response, apparently not big enough to warrant paying attention to. As if actually fixing a problem was too much trouble. And the fact that it is nearly 30 year old architecture, it is beginning to creak and crumble, hence forth the constant fixes.

I was an Autodesk Certified Instructor, which means I loved the software at one point. But, now.....sigh.......

I now support the little guys because they are like the software companies of the old days. Energetic and responsive. Just like here.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Hi guys,

thank you very much for all the tips.

I have tried the MeshMixer and so far it does everything I require ... and it works like charm :) I have sent some of my models for the 3D print - so when they are finished, I will share my results :)

Based on my so-far experience, I would have to learn any of these "Advanced" 3D modelling softwares - but I will use the "instructor lead curses" as I don't have time to fool around within the software myself :(

Thanks

Jan

• Like 1

I am glad you found the solution that works. That is most important!!