Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

The clumsy noob takes a detour

Recommended Posts

I have not gotten around to the large Enterprise yet or done anymore on the Polycarbonate tests this last week. And with good reason. I've been trying to quit smoking.

Now, it is not the addiction that kills me. It is the habit, the routine, the hand to mouth. After about 3 days nicotine is out of your system. But not the habit. Ergo, I am replacing that part with Cinnamon Toothpicks I am making with cinnamon oils and, well, toothpicks.

If you make them and leave them out, the flavor just goes away. So I made my own container this week to hold and carry them like a pack of cigarettes. Much healthier, and, I will betcha, bunches better breath ;)

So, after a buncha trial and error here....we....go....

It is a two color nylon print, so had to use the supports of nylon. Once I got the hang of that, they were not hard to remove, and no need for a priming tower.

Right out of the printer and still in the ooze shield:


And right out of the ooze shield. Slid right out :)


Here you can see the underside with the support structure in place. The shiny, plastic looking sheeting is the PVA slurry I recycle. Held the nylon down quite well.


This is the interior of the support structure before removing from the container interior.


I made the design to be a nylon casing with PETG sleeves to keep the nylon from absorbing the cinnamon oil. You can see that the ooze shield did not stop all the 'color bleed' from one nozzle to the other on the Red and White nylon container. This is them side by side:


Loaded up with Toothpicks and ready to keep that oral fixation at bay :)


With the top snapped closed. That was the toughest part. Having played with living hinges in theory and test prints, it is different to make a functioning, snap top that closes properly. A lot of test prints.


And from the side.


These were the test prints at 0.2MM. The sleeves do not need to be any more refined, but I am printing out the nylon box at 0.6MM just so that, I hope, it really cleans up nicely. That will take about 24 hours, provided there are no errors or air printing or whatnot.

But, I had to get this done as I really need to quit smoking. As soon as this is done, back on to the large Enterprise and then more Polycarbonate printing/testing/support tests.

I am bit stoked about the support tests as I got a bit of a hang with the non-PVA supports being easy to remove.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • How to 3D print with reinforced engineering materials
      Ultimaker is hosting a webinar where we explain how you can achieve and maintain a high print success rate using these new reinforced engineering materials. Learn from Ultimaker's Product Manager of Materials and top chemical engineer Bart van As how you can take your 3D printing to that next level.
      • 0 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!