object is sliced differend from what I designed

Posted · object is sliced differend from what I designed

Hi, I thought I had replied to this query the other day, obviously not. Anyway, my suggestion was that assuming the missing part is hollow and not solid, perhaps the shell is too thin and so it doesn't produce any output? Either that or the model has a problem (not manifold) and the slicer just ignores that part?

You previously posted this same issue on April 27th, but never responded to the questions from @smartavionics

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/45875-difference-between-cura-solide-view-and-layer-view

sorry, I could not find my issue back (posted in the wrong subject I suppose.

The Weird thing is that if I rotate my object,it shows theprevious not showed layers, but don't show the layers which were there in the other position.5a333896d797b_printingobjectcuralayermode2.thumb.JPG.94baf38604bfe51a5044834c895dae9d.JPG

Hi, I thought I had replied to this query the other day, obviously not. Anyway, my suggestion was that assuming the missing part is hollow and not solid, perhaps the shell is too thin and so it doesn't produce any output? Either that or the model has a problem (not manifold) and the slicer just ignores that part?

I am sorry, I missede the answers becouse I could not find back my Question.

See my reply to DaHai8

Ok, we'll ask again:

Are the walls very thin? (<.4mm)

Are there any RED areas when viewed in X-Ray mode?

In addition: Have you validated this object as a closed manifold in whatever software you used to design it?

FYI: If you look at your profile in this forum, it will list all the threaded you have created or replied to. Makes it easy to find old posts. That's how I found your old one. :)

Ok, we'll ask again:

Are the walls very thin? (<.4mm)

Are there any RED areas when viewed in X-Ray mode?

In addition: Have you validated this object as a closed manifold in whatever software you used to design it?

FYI: If you look at your profile in this forum, it will list all the threaded you have created or replied to. Makes it easy to find old posts. That's how I found your old one. :)

Thanks for your understanding.

The thickness of the walls are 2,5mm

The x-ray shows only a few small red things but not in the problem area.

I validated the object. No problems

Is it possible to make the model available so we can investigate?

in what format?

in what format?

Anything that Cura can read! (STL, etc.)

What printer are you preparing the job for? What platform are you on? (Windows, Mac?) What version of Cura are you using? It appears to be 2.5 . If so, have you tried 2.4? I have seen anomalies with 2.5, that I never experienced with 2.4. As a result, I don't use 2.5 for any production work.

The x-ray shows only a few small red things but not in the problem area.

I validated the object. No problems

Red areas mean the object is not valid. However, it doesn't always mean its unprintable. Still, its best to clean those areas up.

in what format?

Anything that Cura can read! (STL, etc.)

OK I will send you the stl file, do you now how to include a filke in this reply?

Can you use dropbox or a similar file sharing site? If so, put the stl file there and post a link to it. I don't think you can upload the file to this forum.

Can you use dropbox or a similar file sharing site? If so, put the stl file there and post a link to it. I don't think you can upload the file to this forum.

OK here it is

[/https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckajvfz33m41gp5/kap%20binnen%20boven.%20links%2018-4.STL?dl=0quote]

Issues:

1) Base is only .3mm thick, so it won't print vertical with a .4mm nozzle and line with greater than .3mm. However it will print at least one layer when layed horizontal and a layer height of .2mm

2) There are a LOT of errors with your model. Basically this causes Cura to not know what is internal or external. These all need to be fixed before it can be successfully sliced:

5a33392f10037_ManifoldIssues.thumb.png.e77a0dd3becb7df9f8756586bdb10dcc.png

Issues:

1) Base is only .3mm thick, so it won't print vertical with a .4mm nozzle and line with greater than .3mm. However it will print at least one layer when layed horizontal and a layer height of .2mm

2) There are a LOT of errors with your model. Basically this causes Cura to not know what is internal or external. These all need to be fixed before it can be successfully sliced:

5a33392f10037_ManifoldIssues.thumb.png.e77a0dd3becb7df9f8756586bdb10dcc.png

Thank you for your analysis.

The base is only to stick the object to the buildingplate.

The errors, I do not understand. Have you any idee about the kind of errors?

Hi Herman,

Just had a look at your model, at first I thought it was good, but when I went close in to the model I found some problem..

Well, -to be able to have a model perfectly sliced by Cura the model have to be a whole solid body. Your model have some parts around that's not properly connected together, so Cura will see different object and cannot slice it properly.

Your model have to be "joined" as one part.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Torgeir.

Ok, then get rid of the base and use a raft. That will fix a number of issues.

Stray Edges: These are lines that don't connect to anything. They don't form faces or surfaces. They just stick out going nowhere. Everything must form a face. And all faces must be connect to form a solid object (aka Manafold)

Surface Borders: These are edges of a surface (or face) that doesn't connect to another face. A face is a two-dimensional object and by connecting all faces together, it forms a 3-dimensional object that can be printed. A Face that has a border means that one or more edges of that face doesn't connect to anything. So it just a floating face.

Face Holes: This is pretty much like it sounds. Its a hole in a face. Which also results in a Surface Border. You can form holes in objects by joining faces to form a hole, but you can't have just a hole in a face. Hope that makes sense.

Internal Face Edges: This can usually be overcome in Cura (ie: Cura can usually print objects with this error, but its better to fix it). A face has two sides: inside and outside. This helps tell the slicer (Cura) what to fill in and what to make a outside surface. When you have faces facing the wrong direction, it can confuse things up.

There are apps on the internet, as well as some that can be downloaded to help repair your object. Make Printable is just one of them:

https://makeprintable.com/

Hope this helps.

Ok, then get rid of the base and use a raft. That will fix a number of issues.

Stray Edges: These are lines that don't connect to anything. They don't form faces or surfaces. They just stick out going nowhere. Everything must form a face. And all faces must be connect to form a solid object (aka Manafold)

Surface Borders: These are edges of a surface (or face) that doesn't connect to another face. A face is a two-dimensional object and by connecting all faces together, it forms a 3-dimensional object that can be printed. A Face that has a border means that one or more edges of that face doesn't connect to anything. So it just a floating face.

Face Holes: This is pretty much like it sounds. Its a hole in a face. Which also results in a Surface Border. You can form holes in objects by joining faces to form a hole, but you  can't have just a hole in a face. Hope that makes sense.

Internal Face Edges: This can usually be overcome in Cura (ie: Cura can usually print objects with this error, but its better to fix it). A face has two sides: inside and outside. This helps tell the slicer (Cura) what to fill in and what to make a outside surface. When you have faces facing the wrong direction, it can confuse things up.

There are apps on the internet, as well as some that can be downloaded to help repair your object. Make Printable is just one of them:

https://makeprintable.com/

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much fornal your effort!!!!!

I partly repaired my design (indead, I made a mesh out of it due to many adjustments) and partly by "make it Printable" What an amazing aid is this program.

I am Printing now. again many thanks

• Like 1