Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
RGordon87

Is there a better way to remove PVA?

Hi. I just received my Ultimaker 3 yesterday and I set it up last night. I created a part that has PLA and PVA support. I'm sitting it in a bath of hot water and it just gets gooey. Is there a better way to remove the support material? I stuck in the bath almost 3 hours ago and there's still a lot left. I'm at work. Should I get a fish tank with a heater in it to keep the water warm? There isn't a pressure washer here so I can't do that. There's got to be a better way right?

Thanks in advance.

Rachel

Hi Rachel, welcome to the forum!

Removing PVA can indeed be messy. I wouldn't use a heater for PLA-PVA prints, as PLA will start to deform at temperatures above 35C. You can speed up the dissolving a little bit by heating to ~30C, but I think it would be more useful to get a little aquarium pump. A 10 euro aquarium pump will make the water flow enough to speed up the PVA dissolving drastically. Especially if you change the water often enough (don't let the water become cloudy!).

My setup here is a 20 liter waste bin with a simple pump, and small prints can be cleaned within a few hours. All my normal prints are clean overnight, as long as the PVA parts don't float above the water...

Our setup is a 30 liter aquarium, with a Eheim Compact 1000 (1000L/h) aquarium pump with a bent piece of tubing to create a circular flow in the tank, and a Eheim 75W heater set to 34 degrees. It helps _a lot_ with dissolving the PVA to have some heat and a lot of circulation.