Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

BTW I'm on holidays for the next two weeks. But there are already so many other well-versed people here who will be happy to help.

I have a strange problem.

With dual extrusion, PVA + PLA, my prints gets skewed in the X direction. both heads.

Checked all the belts + pulleys.

In single extrusion everything is 100% ok.

Anyone?

Exactly the same problem here.

I already reported this issue in the dev forum.

Don't worry, we'll fix this !

Exactly the same problem here.

I already reported this issue in the dev forum.

Don't worry, we'll fix this !

You talk about the skew or the psu?

Sorry, I was talking about the skew to the left.

Sorry, I was talking about the skew to the left.

Ok, then i have good hope it gets solved ;-)

Same piece printed with Cura,no skewing, perfectly straight.

Must be in the combination of S3D and the M2 firmware?

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Note that UM sells two different ALMOST identical power supplies.  But I finally realized the model number differs by one letter.  The one with the T seems to turn itself off (hiccup - brief power off) more often and is more sensitive.  I avoided using the "T" one for 6 months. Now it's in use ONLY for my um2go which doesn't need as much power.

5a332779629bf_2017-02-2014_39_17.thumb.jpg.c2b0028a3efda9238ff58e678dbe0759.jpg

5a33277988296_2017-02-2014_38_55.thumb.jpg.4bb1dadebfd1249f8fe7325d276d1b4b.jpg

5a332779629bf_2017-02-2014_39_17.thumb.jpg.c2b0028a3efda9238ff58e678dbe0759.jpg

5a33277988296_2017-02-2014_38_55.thumb.jpg.4bb1dadebfd1249f8fe7325d276d1b4b.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

Also don't just set the power requirements manually. Think about what you are doing. There's no reason to lie about the actual power usage of the bed and the nozzles. So you should only be messing with the budget. The lower the budget, the less power you have for nozzles and bed.

Consider oiling your axes. The stepper controllers in the UM printers use more current if you fight the stepper.

Hello everyone:

I've decided to give a try your magnetic change tool idea, but on Marlin firmware. The HW part was easy, my tool change and tools dock work as expected on my corexy 3d printer, based on gcode movements scripts.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPrkprSMp72lGJGt_kH_XNHlfAwQs7Cx9gEU2iv

I'm trying to make 3 independent exchangeable printheads. But i would like to do in Marlin firmware to make it independent to the slicer/host used to slice.

I was digging on the forum, foehnsturm and Tinkergnome's postings and i couldn't find code from to start. At github just can get a compiled hex specifically for the UM2. Can anyone give a link to the plain code to try out to get work to standard Marlin flavour?

Thank you in advance.

Sorry for my english, it isn't my native language. :D

never thought I would use that old feeder again....

would not advice anyone to go back to a non-geared feeder, but just needed a quick temporary solution to get the Mark2 alive again.

mark2oldFeeder.thumb.jpg.4a7455760f39cd647b63839f5da7d66e.jpg

mark2oldFeeder.thumb.jpg.4a7455760f39cd647b63839f5da7d66e.jpg

• Like 2

wonder if anyone here knows were to buy the Mark2 pcb ??

Send a pm to @syntaxterror

Thanks for that info

Send a pm to @syntaxterror

Thanks for that info ultiarjan, PM sent

Edited by Guest

top man great pcb

• Like 1

This is a copy/paste of the conversation going on in the beta-tester forum of the Mark2.

We are moving the discussion here

----

Houston, I think we have a problem

I made a very simple model to test the "leaning to the left" behavior.

Test 1:

Single extrusion

IMG_20170602_194322.thumb.jpg.7a9fcb0d4f106c5f4f5fec2af7e01a61.jpg

Good print, it stays perfectly aligned.

Test 2:

Dual extrusion

IMG_20170602_114009.thumb.jpg.47ec87af8f12dc1bac6e19cf9bbb1e24.jpg

It's fucked.

Here, we can see that somewhere in the first quarter of the print, it failed to pick the second print extruder.

I simply put the second print head away from the printer, so there was no interaction between magnets : it doesn't change anything. Magnets are not responsible for what we observe

Comparison between test 1 (left) and test 2.

IMG_20170602_194416.thumb.jpg.9f86c027ad15d191de11bfec05d14eef.jpg

Something is wrong, do you guys have ideas ?

Could you please try to replicate this problem ?

Here is the project file, Cura 2.6: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgmRtaUlyi-AkZhYSI2hRGizd3o3Cw

• Like 1

The print is actually leaning to the left and the back of the printer.

I used a .2 layer height.

My print was ~97.2mm tall

Offset to the left: 3.5mm

3.5/97.2 = 0.036 mm of deviation, per mm

0.036 * .2 = 0.0072 mm of deviation, per layer

Offset to the back: 3.5mm

exact same results as for the left.

So, it seems that we are shifting by the same amount towards the left and the back.

Edited by Guest

wonder if anyone here knows were to buy the Mark2 pcb ??

I will soon have them on my shop also if anyone needs them in europe or around belgium, i will also probably sell the magnets and stuff needed.

• Like 2

Experiencing a slight problem when using RepRap gcode vice Ultimaker2 on Cura 2.5 - When using RepRap, when the first head goes to the second head for the first time for prime etc. I always get a heavy vibration/noise which appears to be the Z axis being forced to move, but no problems at all with the Ultimaker code.

Any ideas???

Also, how do you get the Auto PID to work - I would like to optimise my heaters, but when I press the 'Auto' selection nothing happens :(

Is it functional in the firmware at the moment, or an addition for later releases?

VMT for help.

Andy

Experiencing a slight problem when using RepRap gcode vice Ultimaker2 on Cura 2.5 - When using RepRap, when the first head goes to the second head for the first time for prime etc. I always get a heavy vibration/noise which appears to be the Z axis being forced to move, but no problems at all with the Ultimaker code.

Any ideas???

Also, how do you get the Auto PID to work - I would like to optimise my heaters, but when I press the 'Auto' selection nothing happens :(

Is it functional in the firmware at the moment, or an addition for later releases?

VMT for help.

Andy

First the Z thing, It was on my list to report to @tinkergnome, but I had not done it yet. It appears that the FIRST TIME ONLY directly after you turn on the printer, when you run a Mark2 Gcode the printer thinks the bed is at 0 in stead of 150 (in my case nomally 220 or something like that) and thats causing the issue. If you first do something else on the machine, like manually change extruder head f.e. it does not occur and the printer start with a correct Z height.

Auto PID, I've not tried fro firmware, but easy to do when connecting printer via USB to pronterface or Simplify 3D (I use S3D for this) Just google, there are examples in this forum on how to do it.

and moving some more info from the beta section to the open forum section

@ultiarjan

The code is in firmware, but you can override it by loading alternative code from the SD card, the SD card needs to contain a folder called "config" and needs to contains two files called T0 and T1 that contain the gcode.

- make the files with f.e. notepad++

- make sure the files have NO extension (so no .txt...)

here's a sample I use on my GO3- , just simple moves.

G0 X112 Y88 F6000

G0 X116 Y91 F4000

G0 X114 Y104 F4000

G0 X110 Y110 F4000

The files only load when the SD is present when you turn on the machine, so it will not get overwritten in the firmware and you have to load it each time.

I'm still figuring out myself how to make permanent changes..... but need to fin the time..

Oh and FYI,

-after every T0/T1 the firmware will move the head back to the defined wipe position.

- a T0/T1 will cause the bed to move down 2mm (z hop) and for T1 the aditional Z-offset.

- at the end of a T1/T0, during the first regular XY moves the 2mm Z-hop will be corrected again.

Quote by conny_g

So it might be worth a try to execute a M218 T0 X0 Y0 to make sure that extruder 1 has 0/0. Or one could try a M218 T0 X0.0125 Y-0.0125 as a correction factor.

Interesting. I'm having issues with incorrect Z height on my dual GO with the Mark2 firmware. Will need to look into this.... Can you point out where in the firmware I can find these extruder offsets?

Quote by ultiarjan

Interesting. I'm having issues with incorrect Z height on my dual GO with the Mark2 firmware.

@tinkergnome

The firmware tool-change z-hop is in Marlin_main.cpp, starting here. Since we don't use the wiper it should be always 2.0mm - plus the extruder z-offset. There may be an additional z-hop from the slicer (e.g. if "z-hop during toolchange" is activated in Cura).

If I remember right, it's essential that there is a move command (after every T0/T1) that includes the "real wanted" z-position (a.k.a. the current layer pos). This should be always done by the slicer, but who knows?

Does the nozzle stay too high after the tool change? If in doubt... can you show some snippets from the generated gcode file?

Quote by conny_g

Now the question is if it's a mechanical issue or a software issue.

I think it's a software issue, it's too steady for mechanical and even the 2nd head was not present at all.

@tinkergnome

Melka: you said your project file is Cura 2.6 - can you reproduce the issue with an older (non-beta) version? Or has anyone tried to reproduce it on his printer with this project file? Just to rule out one thing or another...

@tinkergnome I need to do more testing on the issue I have with the Zheights.

I suspect it has something to do with the setting of Zheight for nozzle 1 and 2, and the set Zoffset.

As I can't use the bed level wizzard (Mark2 firmware on a GO size machine) I set the height with the Zheight function in firmware.

I notice that both setting the Zheight of nozzle 1 and nozzle 2 change the Zoffset. Is this intended behaviour? I would expect only setting the Zheight of the 2th nozzle to change the Zoffest value.