Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

I was looking at the instructions and kept looking for some subtle warming about alignment of the magnets North or South :)

It makes no difference as long as each pair is working correctly. But you should take care when building additional stuff, ofc the magnets in a new head must match the ones in the already installed coupling. This is where I occasionally mess up things.

First of all, you've done impressive work.

I've a question about gcode/firmware.

Are the tool change movement script, swap retraction managed by the firmware or by the gcode?

I read a dual print gcode generated in cura and i see T0/T1, M104/M109 command for the standby-heat up temperature, and a simple retraction (5.1mm@F1500) in relative E distance.

I ask you this because I don't have a lot of familiarity with cura and I would like to ask if it is possible to run a simplify3D's gcode, i know there is a possible collision with the 2nd head if the object is in the wrong position.

I also noticed that PVA is not present in the list of materials, but this is not a real problem.

Thanks,

/Marco

I think (but can be wrong), that the structure of the resources files for cura found on Github, is different from the mac osx Cura resources structure. I copied everything there, but can't find the mark 2 printer (it does work on my windows machine, but there is another problem, cura 2.5 crashes when i do file-access, is not related to this project, but limits me in the trial process)

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

I think (but can be wrong), that the structure of the resources files for cura found on Github, is different from the mac osx Cura resources structure. I copied everything there, but can't find the mark 2 printer (it does work on my windows machine, but there is another problem, cura 2.5 crashes when i do file-access, is not related to this project, but limits me in the trial process)

Hmm. I have no idea about the mac version, but I'm on linux and was struggling with an issue with the configuration files as well. Cura creates a mirror structure of the resource directories inside the user's home directory. Those would be the ones any sensible user would think to edit. However, Cura also completely ignores the files there, and loads only the ones from the installation directory. So I had to play root to get mine to work. Don't know if there's something similar going on?

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

However, Cura also completely ignores the files there, and loads only the ones from the installation directory.

Off-topic: that should not be the case. Have you reported this?

• Like 1

Hmm. I have no idea about the mac version, but I'm on linux and was struggling with an issue with the configuration files as well. Cura creates a mirror structure of the resource directories inside the user's home directory. Those would be the ones any sensible user would think to edit. However, Cura also completely ignores the files there, and loads only the ones from the installation directory. So I had to play root to get mine to work. Don't know if there's something similar going on?

You pointed me in the right direction, found a second resources tab under macosx, copied the bunch there, and now i see the mark 2 in the list of printers. Only, nothing changes..

Wile copying the files, i noticed there is no script section existing in the mac osx resources.

However, Cura also completely ignores the files there, and loads only the ones from the installation directory.

To my eternal shame I must admit I haven't... I've got a great deal of stuff to deal with at the moment :)

Also I'm using the @thopiekar PPA so I guess it's not really an Ultimaker maintained codebase.

• Like 1

To my eternal shame I must admit I haven't... I've got a great deal of stuff to deal with at the moment :)

Also I'm using the @thopiekar PPA so I guess it's not really an Ultimaker maintained codebase.

Guess what you want, but I can guarantee that I just package Cura and it's direct dependencies.

If it is really the case that directories are chosen in a wrong order (or whaever is misbehaving) then it is a bug in Cura.

I only modify my packages in case Cura is unusable due to a bug in a stable release. Nothing more.

Regards!

• Like 1

Guess what you want, but I can guarantee that I just package Cura and it's direct dependencies.

If it is really the case that directories are chosen in a wrong order (or whaever is misbehaving) then it is a bug in Cura.

I only modify my packages in case Cura is unusable due to a bug in a stable release. Nothing more.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything at all! Also, thanks a bunch for doing it in the first place - I really enjoy having a repository and being able to update things automatically. You're awesome!

First of all, you've done impressive work.

I've a question about gcode/firmware.

Are the tool change movement script, swap retraction managed by the firmware or by the gcode?

I read a dual print gcode generated in cura and i see T0/T1, M104/M109 command for the standby-heat up temperature, and a simple retraction (5.1mm@F1500) in relative E distance.

I ask you this because I don't have a lot of familiarity with cura and I would like to ask if it is possible to run a simplify3D's gcode, i know there is a possible collision with the 2nd head if the object is in the wrong position.

I also noticed that PVA is not present in the list of materials, but this is not a real problem.

Thanks,

/Marco

I already managed to create a PVA profile in Cura, but as the entire profile management was kinda sub-optimal until 2.5. I didn't finish it.

The other questions I have to leave for @Tinkergnome

You pointed me in the right direction, found a second resources tab under macosx, copied the bunch there, and now i see the mark 2 in the list of printers. Only, nothing changes..

Wile copying the files, i noticed there is no script section existing in the mac osx resources.

You mean you cannot add the printer?

Scripts: Contents / Resources / plugins / plugins / PostprocessingPlugin / scripts

• Like 1

Scripts: Contents / Resources / plugins / plugins / PostprocessingPlugin / scripts

At this moment, i re-installed Cura, and put alle the config files under the osx directory, it seems to work!!

Now i have a funny behavior.

i do all the hardware calibrations, docking as it should, en done about 20 manual changes, perfectly, smooth and correct!!

Then, i slice an object with support, for which i chose the second extruder.

When i print this file next thing happens:

On startup, after reaching the temps, the first heads comes to pick up the second, and the goes to the middle, and comes to the front, against the front chassis. lot on noise and you can see the belts skipping.

I disabled the wipe movement.

ok, I'm not sure, so @tinkergnome please pitch in if you read this.

some settings on the printer don't always update correctly, might need a factory reset before the firmware upgrade.

I think the prime position is related to the start position of the wiper (even though you don't use it). You may try to change this position a bit further away from the front (increase Y) and try again.

My settings are:

wipe pos ( not used but anyway): 106.0 / 25.0

docking pos 220.0 / 42.0

And in the Preferences menue check Print area for reasonable values (sometimes they get lost with a firmware upgrade)

And in Cura activate setting Travel -> Layer start X/Y. Defaults are 0 set values to something like x=100, y=50 (but usually this would trigger a "printing out of area" error).

My settings are:

wipe pos ( not used but anyway): 106.0 / 25.0

docking pos 220.0 / 42.0

And in the Preferences menue check Print area for reasonable values (sometimes they get lost with a firmware upgrade)

And in Cura activate setting Travel -> Layer start X/Y. Defaults are 0 set values to something like x=100, y=50 (but usually this would trigger a  "printing out of area" error).

Did a factory reset, followed by a new calibration, problem still exists.

The wipe position is to much to the lower Y (front of the machine)

I can change whatever i like enable wipe, change positions, nothing helps. Maybe some error in the FW?

Ok seems that the ultimaker2_mark2.def.json on git is outdated. Sorry for that!

machine_start_code includes wrong Y coordinates. For a quick fix make all four Y values 45.0

„value“: „\“\“ if machine_gcode_flavor == \“UltiGCode\“ else \“M84\\nG21 ;metric values\\nG90 ;absolute positioning\\nM82 ;set extruder to absolute mode\\nM107 ;start with the fan off\\nM200 D0 T0 ;reset filament diameter\\nM200 D0 T1\\nM204 S2000\\nM205 X12\\nG1 F9000\\nG28\\nT1\\nG0 X123 Y20 F9000\\nG0 Z30.0 F2400 ;move the platform to 30mm\\nG92 E0\\nG1 E16 F300 ;purge nozzle quickly\\nG1 E21 F40 ;purge nozzle slow\\nG92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again\\nG1 E-4.5 F1500\\nG1 X50 Z0.01 F9000 ;pull away filament\\nG1 X22\\nG1 Y40\\nG0 Z5.0 F2400 ;move the platform to 5mm\\nT0\\nG0 X105 Y18 Z30.0 F9000\\nG92 E0\\nG1 E16 F300\\nG1 E21 F40\\nG92 E0\\nG1 E-4.5 F1500\\nG0 X40 Z0.01 F9000 ;pull away filament\\nG0 X15\\nG0 Y40\““

@Ultiarjan, I think we didn't yet update the files because of the manufacturer / name disussion, right?

Correct, I send you the link to my latest files... with the "Mark2 for Ultimaker2 naming..... did you try them?

Yep, they are working.

Solved !! Txs

machine_start_code includes wrong Y coordinates. For a quick fix make all four Y values 45.0

„value“: „\“\“  if machine_gcode_flavor == \“UltiGCode\“ else \“M84\\nG21 ;metric values\\nG90 ;absolute positioning\\nM82 ;set extruder to absolute mode\\nM107 ;start with the fan off\\nM200 D0 T0 ;reset filament diameter\\nM200 D0 T1\\nM204 S2000\\nM205 X12\\nG1 F9000\\nG28\\nT1\\nG0 X123 Y20 F9000\\nG0 Z30.0 F2400 ;move the platform to 30mm\\nG92 E0\\nG1 E16 F300 ;purge nozzle quickly\\nG1 E21 F40 ;purge nozzle slow\\nG92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again\\nG1 E-4.5 F1500\\nG1 X50 Z0.01 F9000 ;pull away filament\\nG1 X22\\nG1 Y40\\nG0 Z5.0 F2400 ;move the platform to 5mm\\nT0\\nG0 X105 Y18 Z30.0 F9000\\nG92 E0\\nG1 E16 F300\\nG1 E21 F40\\nG92 E0\\nG1 E-4.5 F1500\\nG0 X40 Z0.01 F9000 ;pull away filament\\nG0 X15\\nG0 Y40\““

Ok, just found it!! the Gcode was wrong.

This is the startcode i guess??

„value“: „\“\“  if machine_gcode_flavor == \“UltiGCode\“ else \“M84\\nG21 ;metric values\\nG90 ;absolute positioning\\nM82 ;set extruder to absolute mode\\nM107 ;start with the fan off\\nM200 D0 T0 ;reset filament diameter\\nM200 D0 T1\\nM204 S2000\\nM205 X12\\nG1 F9000\\nG28\\nT1\\nG0 X123 Y20 F9000\\nG0 Z30.0 F2400 ;move the platform to 30mm\\nG92 E0\\nG1 E16 F300 ;purge nozzle quickly\\nG1 E21 F40 ;purge nozzle slow\\nG92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again\\nG1 E-4.5 F1500\\nG1 X50 Z0.01 F9000 ;pull away filament\\nG1 X22\\nG1 Y40\\nG0 Z5.0 F2400 ;move the platform to 5mm\\nT0\\nG0 X105 Y18 Z30.0 F9000\\nG92 E0\\nG1 E16 F300\\nG1 E21 F40\\nG92 E0\\nG1 E-4.5 F1500\\nG0 X40 Z0.01 F9000 ;pull away filament\\nG0 X15\\nG0 Y40\““

Not a problem!! i understand that a project of this size can have some hickups;-)

• Like 1

Hi, the ultimaker2_mark2.def.json file in git is fixed now? Or do we have to fix it manually?

Thanks

Correct, I send you the link to my latest files... with the "Mark2 for Ultimaker2 naming..... did you try them?

Hey Ultiarjan, can i get them also?

Some minor things still happening, if i have the correct files....i can rule that point out.

looks like the git files are old, I'll leave updating to @foehnsturm but here's my latest files. They work fine for me.

The start up / priming volume may be tweaked a bit (a bit less), but it's almost ok it think. Let me know any comments on it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cfy7x56p4e38a6/cura-resources21apr2017.zip?dl=0