Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
foehnsturm

Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

21 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

I added two things to the "After print is finished"-script, retract the filament a bit (additional 11 mm as "end-of-print-retraction")
and home all axis.

I think Octoprint does this not automatically  - in opposite to the firmware if you print from sdcard.

Yes I just finished the test print and the head just stopped on top of the print. I then added the same end-script I have in Cura (from the mark2 config) but it still just stops:

G90
M104 S0 T0
M104 S0 T1
M140 S0
T0
M107

This should work in Octoprint, right? But it still just stops.

I don't quite get why an end script is needed anyway isn't this part of the gcode

EDIT: Well this doesn't work at all even when I try to send it over the terminal. 

If I want to home everything at the end I can send this and it works, it actually seems to be enough to just send this because it does automatically retract a little and turns the heating off, so all that's missing in the end is the homeing procedure for the head and the bed:

G28 X Y
G28 Z

However it would be nice to be able to perform an extruder change at the end as well, just to make sure everything is nicely reset and ready for the next print.

Can Octoprint not read any of the above? I think especially the part for putting the second print head into the parking position should be part of the end-script.

Edited by Glomby

4 minutes ago, Glomby said:

I don't quite get why an end script is needed anyway isn't this part of the gcode

Some steps are done by the firmware, if the print was started from the sdcard. These are usually not in the gcode.

If you add it generally, the home command (e.g.) would work, if you print via USB, but would be executed twice if you start the same gcode from sdcard.

I use this for "After print job completes" and "After print job is cancelled":

;disable all heaters
M104 S0 T0
M104 S0 T1
M140 S0
G90 ;use absolute coordinates
G92 E11.0
G1 E0 F1500  ;end-of-print-retract
T0
G1 X23 Y200 F10800 ; move printhead away
G28
; disable motors
M84
; disable fan
M106 S0

Got my Mark 2 Upgrade (with expansion board) up and running and I'm loving this thing!

Had some issues in Cura in the beginning but those cleared up after I found the updated printer def file in another tread on here,  is that updated in Github yet?

Couple questions:

What are the pros and cons of running Marlin vs Ultimaker 2 gcode flavor.  I have really gotten used to using the on board printer material temp setting with the Ultimaker 2 is there a reason that the definition files for the Mark 2 uses Marlin instead?

I noticed with single material prints that the second head still comes to temp, primes and sits at 175 for the entire print for no reason.  Am I missing a setting or should I be slicing with the stock Ultimaker 2+ machine in Cura for single material prints?

Thanks!

• resource files for Cura 3.2 (and upwards) are in a new folder on Github: https://github.com/foehnsturm/Mark2/tree/master/cura-3.2-resources
  • For GCode-Flavor "Ultimaker 2" Cura does not generate the "temperature magic" - because this is quite important for dual color prints i recommend the "Marlin" flavor
  • for single extrusion prints just use the stock Ultimaker 2+ machine in Cura as before (and remove the second printhead from the dock to free up the build area if necessary)

Glad that you like it - Have fun!

• Like 2

On 2/6/2018 at 12:37 AM, yyh1002 said:

Thanks for the update! The new definition totally worked with quality options in CURA 3.2b. Creating and updating profiles finally works properly. 

I've been creating multiple machines to have dedicated setting for head 1 print, head 2 print, PVA support and PVA interface only print. 

And I find UltiGcode flavor works more handy than Marlin. 

The start code for Marlin would heat up and prime both nozzle in all conditions. But in UltiGcode mode, only the necessary nozzle will be heated up.

Great! thanks for the support, as this is critical to use the mk2 to the level of an UM3.

2 hours ago, tinkergnome said:
  • resource files for Cura 3.2 (and upwards) are in a new folder on Github: https://github.com/foehnsturm/Mark2/tree/master/cura-3.2-resources
  • For GCode-Flavor "Ultimaker 2" Cura does not generate the "temperature magic" - because this is quite important for dual color prints i recommend the "Marlin" flavor
  • for single extrusion prints just use the stock Ultimaker 2+ machine in Cura as before (and remove the second printhead from the dock to free up the build area if necessary)

Glad that you like it - Have fun!

Is it possible to adjust standby temp in firmware?  I’ve had some succesfull dual color and pva prints with UltiGcode which seems to have 100 degree standby temp. What temp magic would marlin do other than the default 175 standby temp? 

Nozzle 2 only print would need dedicated start code for Marlin flavor. I wonder whether the extruder 1/2 start code settings could do the intelligent start code generation for the two nozzles. 

After the printer is configured as mark2, will it be possible for it to print using Gcode generated for the ultimaker 2+?

The reason I ask is because what if I sometimes don't want to use the second hot end at all? I don't want it to prep itself if its not going to be used. Furthermore, one at a time print sequence mode is disabled for mark 2.