Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Updated cura_resources on github

Working better and better!!

2 issues left:

1, how can i reduce the speed of first move of head 1, before picking up head 2, because my belts jump over....

2: what is the exact Z calibration?

i tried:

leveling buildplate a usual, with the ulticard, followed bij the Z adjust of the 2nd extruder, but my plate seems to be to high in that config.

I'm pretty sure the move from home to pickup of 2th head is the first T1 in the startup code, and thus the speed is in the firmware. @tinkergnome how can he reduce it?

It seems you do the Z calibration correct..... the Z adjust for the 2th head tells you to move the bed till it touches the bed.... did you use the card again?

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

my second hotend is my old UM2 one, and when i put everything together, my Z is wrong. The second head is higher as the first, making it impossible to print.

Rudy, here's 2 options to gain the extra mm's.

Please share with us if you have any issues with it;

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/5mm-lower-head-for-the-mark2-dual-extrusion-for-ultimaker2-system5mm.thumb.png.64cd16f728c70f5f54d5d2f903170ea0.png

edit: and should you need anything else than 5mm you can easily print the spacer in any height by adjusting the height in your slicer.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

my second hotend is my old UM2 one, and when i put everything together, my Z is wrong. The second head is higher as the first, making it impossible to print.

Rudy, here's 2 options to gain the extra mm's.

Please share with us if you have any issues with it;

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/5mm-lower-head-for-the-mark2-dual-extrusion-for-ultimaker2-system5mm.thumb.png.64cd16f728c70f5f54d5d2f903170ea0.png

edit:   and should you need anything else than 5mm you can easily print the spacer in any height by adjusting the height in your slicer.

Supersolution!!!! Txs

2 issues left:

1, how can i reduce the speed of first move of head 1, before picking up head 2, because my belts jump over....

i tried:

leveling buildplate a usual, with the ulticard, followed bij the Z adjust of the 2nd extruder, but my plate seems to be to high in that config.

There's a preferences -> motion settings menu in the firmware. You can try to reduce axis max speed / accel / jerk there.

2 issues left:

i tried:

There's a preferences -> motion settings menu in the firmware. You can try to reduce axis max speed / accel / jerk there.

Did all that, but when i print from cura, these settings are overruled. (because there is a startup gcode in cura,)

Anyway, i tried deleting and installing Cura again on my Mac, and now i can't get the printers right again, after doing all the cura config files copy, there is no mark 2 printer available in Cura....

I think i will stop this project for a couple of days, i get some important tasks to print.

Therefore i need this printer + simplify3D.

Will there be support for S3D?

I use this 99% of the time.

If we have the startup / en and toolchange script / gcode we could start trying ;-)

Ofcourse i will help with this testing and tuning ;-)

With the new config files, the printer should be listet as "Mark2 for Ultimaker" at the end of the "Other" section list, not longer within "Ultimaker"

• Like 1

Mark2 used to work with S3D but during beta testing we focused on Cura. Tinkergnome knows the details but he is on holidays atm and only checks the forum occasionally.

With the new config files, the printer should be listet as "Mark2 for Ultimaker" at the end of the "Other" section list, not longer within "Ultimaker"

Yep, correct, didn't look there.. prior the mark 2 was between the other UM's.

Mark2 used to work with S3D but during beta testing we focused on Cura.  Tinkergnome knows the details but he is on holidays atm and only checks the forum occasionally.

[/quote

Will have to wait then ;-)

The Discmagnet Ø 6.0 x 3.0 mm N45 Nickel - holds 900 g is currently not available in the magnet-shop.com. Where can I buy the discmagnet? Please advice!

There are several webshops, just search "disc magnet 6 x 3". If they don't deliver to Hong Kong, I can send you some.

If we have the startup / en and toolchange script / gcode we could start trying ;-)

There are no special differences. S3D does not (yet) generate the "temperature magic" like Cura, but besides that it's the same. Leave the tool change script empty (the firmware takes care of it) and copy the start/end-gcode from Cura (more or less).

I rarely use S3D for dual printing, the following is untested, just to give the idea:

;start
    M84
    G21 ;metric values
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode
    M107 ;start with the fan off
    M200 D0 T0 ;reset filament diameter
    M200 D0 T1
    G28 ; home all
    M190 S[bed0_temperature]
    M109 S[extruder1_temperature] T1
    M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0
    T1 ; move to the 2th head
    G0 X140 Y30 F9000 ; move to prime position
    G0 Z20 F2400 ;move the platform to 20mm
    G92 E0 ; zero the extruder length
    G1 E35 F225 ;purge nozzle quickly
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
    G1 E-4.5 F1500 ; retract
    G1 X120 Z0.01 F5000 ; move away from the prime poop
    G1 X90 F9000 ; move away from the prime poop
    G0 Z20 F2400 ;move the platform to 20 mm
    T0 ; move to the first head
    G0 X120 Y30 F9000; move to prime position
    G92 E0
    G1 E35 F225 ;purge nozzle quickly
    G92 E0
    G1 E-4.5 F1500
    G1 X100 Z0.01 F5000 ; move away from the prime poop
    G1 X70 F9000 ; move away from the prime poop
    G0 Z10 F2400 ;move the platform to 10 mm
    ;end
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    M104 S0 T0 ;extruder heater off
    M104 S0 T1
    M140 S0 ;turn off bed
    T0 ; move to the first head
    G28 ; home all
    M84 ;steppers off
    M107 ; fan off

• Like 2

The tool change travel moves are done by the firmware, but not faster than 200mm/s. If your printer can not handle this, then there is definitely something wrong with it... Are you sure, that the print head (or the rods) does not collide with .... whatever...?

And yes: if you reduce the max. x/y speed of the printer settings, the Marlin firmware limits all moves to this speed (at least it's worth a try).

• Like 2

Also, how's the condition of the belts? And are they tight enough?

Also, how's the condition of the belts? And are they tight enough?

Belts are new, changed at 6000Hrs, tensioners also renewed.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

There are no special differences. S3D does not (yet) generate the "temperature magic" like Cura, but besides that it's the same. Leave the tool change script empty (the firmware takes care of it) and copy the start/end-gcode from Cura (more or less).

I rarely use S3D for dual printing, the following is untested, just to give the idea:

;startM84G21 ;metric valuesG90 ;absolute positioningM82 ;set extruder to absolute modeM107 ;start with the fan offM200 D0 T0 ;reset filament diameterM200 D0 T1G28 ; home allM190 S[bed0_temperature]M109 S[extruder1_temperature] T1M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0T1 ; move to the 2th headG0 X140 Y30 F9000 ; move to prime positionG0 Z20 F2400 ;move the platform to 20mmG92 E0 ; zero the extruder lengthG1 E35 F225 ;purge nozzle quicklyG92 E0 ;zero the extruded length againG1 E-4.5 F1500 ; retractG1 X120 Z0.01 F5000 ; move away from the prime poopG1 X90 F9000 ; move away from the prime poopG0 Z20 F2400 ;move the platform to 20 mmT0 ; move to the first headG0 X120 Y30 F9000; move to prime positionG92 E0G1 E35 F225 ;purge nozzle quicklyG92 E0G1 E-4.5 F1500G1 X100 Z0.01 F5000 ; move away from the prime poopG1 X70 F9000 ; move away from the prime poopG0 Z10 F2400 ;move the platform to 10 mm;endG90 ;absolute positioningM104 S0 T0 ;extruder heater offM104 S0 T1M140 S0 ;turn off bedT0 ; move to the first headG28 ; home allM84 ;steppers offM107 ; fan off

Txs, will try this out, once my printer is free again ;-)

And good to know the head-change is a firmware thing, meaning we can do all the normal things in the Gcode (maybe not the speed that the headchange is done?)

Edited by Guest

It you problem persits a short video would be helpful.

• Like 1

@Mark2 dev team

Do you plan to set-up a Donate button on the Mark2 site? I'd like to send you beer or coffee at least for the awesome work you're doing on the Mark2!

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

@Mark2 dev team

Do you plan to set-up a Donate button on the Mark2 site? I'd like to send you beer or coffee at least for the awesome work you're doing on the Mark2!

I have decided I like you a lot.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

@Mark2 dev team

LOL

Considering you're doing this for free for the community and its got huge impact, this is the least I can do to show appreciation. :)

@Mark2 dev team

LOL

Considering you're doing this for free for the community and its got huge impact, this is the least I can do to show appreciation. :)

I am in!!! Where is the button??