Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Hello i hope someone can help me

I've got a Ultimaker 2 V2.1.4 control board (clone) with the tinker 16.03.1+ / 17.02.1+ or 17.10.1+ firmware everything works normal but when i install a tinker-Mark2-extended firmware don't matter witch version ) 17.02.2 or 17.06 or 17.09 and a factory reset when i calibrate the buildplate the buildplate goes up and then the head goes to the right but it don't stop it crashed in the right wall and it don't stop, i have to switch the power off.

When i turn it on again i still have to do the calibration steps again and a soon as the head moves to the right it won't stop and crashes in the right side wall again. If i go back to the normal tinker firmware (17.10.1 or older) everything works like it should, normal calibration.

Also with the normal tinker firmware with S3D  in Machine Control Panel i can control the head like normal but when i flash a Mark2 version and i do not a factory reset i can control the head a few time and then the head crashes in the right wall and don't stop till power off also when i click on the Y+ or Y- the head moves on the X axe not on the Y axe and crash again in the right wall and have to power off

It don't matter with or without the Mark2 expansion board it crash in the right wall with a Mark2 firmware

Apart off the XY movement i can control the heater and fans of the two heads apart with the expansion board connected, so that works normal

I hope someone can help me 

Sounds weird...

If you're lucky, this are only some corrupted values in the EEPROM. You can try the following:

1. finish the "first run wizard" with the normal tinker firmware (if necessary)
    2. install the Mark2-firmware, but don't do a factory reset afterwards
    3. instead: check the preferences manually, esp. the print area and the axis steps/mm (basically: check all sub-menus in "Advanced -> Preferences" for conspicuous values

Thanks tinkergnome for the fast response

I did what you asked

I installed Tinker-MarlinUltimaker2extendedPlus-17.10.1 factory reset then did the buildplate calibration everything went normal i then installed Tinker-Mark2-extended-dual-17.09 ( i have the mark2 expansion board disconnected and connected the second head directly on the main board) i did NOT do a factory reset and checked all the prefereces settings but it looks normal. But when i choose raise buildplate in the display the buildplate raise very slooooooooow, like 1cm in 1 minute and when i choose to adjust nozzle (1) the head goes right in the wall and not stopping

20180714_214645.thumb.jpg.49b0c8aad1fcf9c57b82f02e3a933ce6.jpg20180714_214714.thumb.jpg.b58afde4240d5c8b39000637bc3830f2.jpg20180714_214723.thumb.jpg.991bad7e5e7d13ca1bcafc04f26be02b.jpg20180714_214728.thumb.jpg.00aa34f38574719a8c16c6c6c4017e2c.jpg20180714_214734.thumb.jpg.987544e23eea9c20c802454bdbf40a9c.jpg20180714_214740.thumb.jpg.a918c6e0e8768d5dfdebe7b3b69e10a4.jpg20180714_214747.thumb.jpg.e40d67dc21795c32d635fa0f536d3e64.jpg20180714_214757.thumb.jpg.2aba4e10ed1052c425b248382faadffc.jpg20180714_214804.thumb.jpg.f24e2b0353c621240911789a4c8debd3.jpg20180714_214836.thumb.jpg.e7581e2c695a01e70273ffc20ab88cf5.jpg20180714_214841.thumb.jpg.c583bb43cc4745c3cc62e6d5243f66cc.jpg20180714_214848.thumb.jpg.ccbd30aa3babca1ae1bfbe8619da1165.jpg20180714_214922.thumb.jpg.81fa9852e2d782baffd55288b311f88f.jpg20180714_214952.thumb.jpg.49bd9f5a0afb62770d02e89d22533bf0.jpg20180714_215518.thumb.jpg.98142d8fe054135decf3ce44f8ab5bfc.jpg

And this is when i connect with S3D with th mark2 firmware

Attempting connection at \\.\COM14...
    READ: start
      Connected to machine!
    READ: echo:Marlin 1.0.0
    Marlin 1.0.0
    READ: echo: Last Updated: Oct  7 2017 18:25:11 | Author: Tinker_Mark2_17.09
    Last Updated: Oct  7 2017 18:25:11 | Author: Tinker_Mark2_17.09
    READ: Compiled: Oct  7 2017
    READ: echo: Free Memory: 2274  PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
    Free Memory: 2274  PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
    READ: echo:Stored settings retrieved
    Stored settings retrieved
    READ: echo:Steps per unit:
    Steps per unit:
    READ: echo:  M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z200.00 E369.00
    M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z200.00 E369.00
    READ: echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
    Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
    READ: echo:  M203 X300.00 Y300.00 Z40.00 E45.00
    M203 X300.00 Y300.00 Z40.00 E45.00
    READ: echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
    Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
    READ: echo:  M201 X9000 Y9000 Z100 E10000
    M201 X9000 Y9000 Z100 E10000
    READ: echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
    Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
    READ: echo:  M204 S3000.00 T3000.00
    M204 S3000.00 T3000.00
    READ: echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s),  E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
    Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s),  E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
    READ: echo:  M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
    M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
    READ: echo:Home offset (mm):
    Home offset (mm):
    READ: echo:  M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z-34.90
    M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z-34.90
    READ: echo:PID settings:
    PID settings:
    READ: echo:   M301 P10.00 I2.50 D100.00
    M301 P10.00 I2.50 D100.00
    Dual setup: enabled
    Home offset z2 (mm): -24.41
    Dock position: X219.00 Y45.30
    Firmware wipe: disabled
    Wipe position: X115.10 Y30.00
    Cannot enter subdir: config
    Active Extruder: 0

Looks normal from the software side of view... I'm running out of ideas.

Can you rule out a hardware issue? Do you have pictures of the (in addition) connected cables on the mainboard?

You could try to unplug (temporary) the new connections for the second extruder train (except the second temperature sensor). Just to check, if it makes any difference.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Hello tinkergnome

I notice when i'm in advanced / expert functions / move axes , as long i do not home the X axe i can move it left right but as soon as i home the X axe i got strange caracters as zero and when i'm go to the right the head don't stop anymore

See picture

With the non Mark2 firmwares everything works normal

20180715_212803.thumb.jpg.0755543a5df14919fb5fb3cac8e4a257.jpg

Edited by klaasie

I am trying to complete the Mark2 upgrade on a Ultimaker 2. I installed two new Bondtech QR extruders, new printheads and expansion board. I believe I have all the physical parts of the upgrade completed but am now trying to update the firmware. I am running Cura 3.4. As indicated on the Mark2 site I have done the following:

Download the Mark2 firmware from github. Connect you printer via USB. In Cura, select "Manage printers" -> "Upgrade firmware" -> "Upload custom firmware". 

However once I locate the file hex file and push update it brings up the updating firmware window, disconnects the printer and sits there. What am I doing wrong?

Also when the printhead tries to home the fan runs into the right side of the printer and tells me the x/y switch is broke. 

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thank you

8 hours ago, mrsallen2000 said:

I am trying to complete the Mark2 upgrade on a Ultimaker 2. I installed two new Bondtech QR extruders, new printheads and expansion board. I believe I have all the physical parts of the upgrade completed but am now trying to update the firmware. I am running Cura 3.4. As indicated on the Mark2 site I have done the following:

Download the Mark2 firmware from github. Connect you printer via USB. In Cura, select "Manage printers" -> "Upgrade firmware" -> "Upload custom firmware". 

However once I locate the file hex file and push update it brings up the updating firmware window, disconnects the printer and sits there. What am I doing wrong?

Also when the printhead tries to home the fan runs into the right side of the printer and tells me the x/y switch is broke. 

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi,

please try using a lower version of cura  say 3.2.5 because 3.4 i think doesn't support Tinker, i was trying to install the Tinker firmware for my brothers printer, and that was the single one not mark-2, and i had this same issue, so i think the only way is a down version of cura and you can install, hope this helps ?

• Like 2

Hi Folks,

Excuse my ignorance here, never seen this eminent firmware before. But one thing I’ve notices is that this firmware has the possibility to inverse the direction of all axes including the two extruders.

Why not try to inverse the X-axes in the menu? I’ll ask this question as both of you have the head moving the right side instead to the left where the switch is located.

Just my two p.

Thanks

Regards

Torgeir

Hi,

If I use 2x E3D v6 hotends with titan extruders will I have problems when uploading the Tinkergnome's firmware? According to me I will loose the prior settings, is that a problem?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Yaki said:

Hi,

If I use 2x E3D v6 hotends with titan extruders will I have problems when uploading the Tinkergnome's firmware? According to me I will loose the prior settings, is that a problem?

Thanks

you can note down the settings somewhere and then if you wish to revert back to the original you can copy them back, however two v6's plus titans i guess you will be pulling much weight, maybe you need 8mm rods then, hope this helps :)  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, rajilpahuja said:

you can note down the settings somewhere and then if you wish to revert back to the original you can copy them back, however two v6's plus titans i guess you will be pulling much weight, maybe you need 8mm rods then, hope this helps ?  

Thanks!

On 7/14/2018 at 4:22 PM, klaasie said:

Thanks tinkergnome for the fast response

I did what you asked

I installed Tinker-MarlinUltimaker2extendedPlus-17.10.1 factory reset then did the buildplate calibration everything went normal i then installed Tinker-Mark2-extended-dual-17.09 ( i have the mark2 expansion board disconnected and connected the second head directly on the main board) i did NOT do a factory reset and checked all the prefereces settings but it looks normal. But when i choose raise buildplate in the display the buildplate raise very slooooooooow, like 1cm in 1 minute and when i choose to adjust nozzle (1) the head goes right in the wall and not stopping

Since you mention you have a clone board, are you sure that the step settings are correct for each of the motors?   I experienced a similar problem with a clone board where some of the stepper motors had the wrong step settings (controlled by jumpers or switches on the clone board).

Hope that helps

*B

Edited by bradley

Hi Folks,

Honestly, is'n this what can be done directly in Tinker-Mark2-extended-dual-17.09 firmware. So why using other methods to change any of the steppers direction?

This is seen in one of the pictures in  the setup menu for this firmware brought in here by klassie just a few mail back?

This one:

Axis_Invert.thumb.jpg.a4a02d91a865a9eed3b420e07a8f394c.jpg

Does not this mean change motor direction? Or do I miss something here?

Please check this one out in the advance setup menu.

Thanks

Torgeir.

2 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Honestly, is'n this what can be done directly in Tinker-Mark2-extended-dual-17.09 firmware. So why using other methods to change any of the steppers direction? 

Some clone boards, I don't believe, respond to these settings.

Hey Folks, 

a few months ago I upgraded my Ultimaker 2 to the + version. So I noticed that I can use my old printhead (with Olson block) for the mark2 upgrade, right? 

So I need only the feeder. Which motor do I have to buy? I don't want to use the old feeder stepper. My plan is to buy a second UM2+ feeder at AliExpress. But I don't know which Nema stepper I need exactly. Can you help me?

Edited by jofleck

Hi jofleck,

You can use the old print head together with an Olson block..

The feeder stepper servo used in the 2+ is a 200 step/rev type.

Thanks

Regards

Torgeir

• Thanks 1

The feeder stepper servo used in the 2+ is a 200 step/rev type.

Any recommendations which motor exactly? I tried to find an original e-stepper in several UM reseller shops but I dint't succeeded ?

You can just use the old UM2 feeder motor. Just adjust the steps correctly and you're fine. 

There have been different types  on the UM2, some with a round axis and some with the Dshape axis. For the UM2+ feeder you need the Dshape, but if you have the round axis you can easily file it to a Dshape (to make the gear fit) . You may also have to cut the axis a bit shorter.  It's been a while but I've done it for a self build machine and it worked fine.

It's a bit more expensive ofc but I would prefer to get a bondtech feeder.... much less hassle...

And if you really want to  go low budget... this is ofc still an option;

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/alternative-um2-feeder-version-two

• Thanks 1

You can just use the old UM2 feeder motor. Just adjust the steps correctly and you're fine

Awesome! Thank you 

Just for my interest. Why did UM change the feeder motor in the Um2+ upgrade to a less acurate motor (1.8° per step instead 0.9°) ?

It's a bit more expensive ofc but I would prefer to get a bondtech feeder

First I want to have a Mark2 setup working for using PVA in the second nozzle. If this works I'm sure that I want to try more ?

51 minutes ago, jofleck said:

ust for my interest. Why did UM change the feeder motor in the Um2+ upgrade to a less acurate motor (1.8° per step instead 0.9°) ?

They wanted max torque I guess.  Anyway it's less accurate but the gears bring the accuracy close to what it was.

I would rather say the UM2+ feeder has a massive gear reduction and is much more precise than the old direct feeder.

• Like 1

I could not agree more, -but also true the 400 step/rev will suffer for torque at a speed 1:3.11 (if my memory is right) .. :)

More speed for a high number of coil stepper, means less torque..

with all respect.

Torgeir

I have been working on the Mark2 upgrade to my UM2 and have got most of the kinks worked out. My current problem is that the cooling fans will not come on for printhead 1. The cooling fan comes on for printhead 2 though. I am using the Mark 2 expansion board. I checked all connections and they seem fine. No wires are pinched or damaged that I can see. Any advice that you could give me on what to do next is appreciated.

On 8/9/2018 at 3:15 AM, jofleck said:

Hey Folks, 

a few months ago I upgraded my Ultimaker 2 to the + version. So I noticed that I can use my old printhead (with Olson block) for the mark2 upgrade, right? 

So I need only the feeder. Which motor do I have to buy? I don't want to use the old feeder stepper. My plan is to buy a second UM2+ feeder at AliExpress. But I don't know which Nema stepper I need exactly. Can you help me?

Dear jofleck,

You can use a Nema 17 stepper motor (1,8 degree per step / 5 kg/cm)

Regards

Yair

Edited by Yaki
    • Thanks 1