Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Steiner Chemie sells some nice indicating silica beads on Amazon, you can get them by the kilo for a pittance. They'll change color when they've reached their absorption limit and then you can regenerate them by throwing them in the oven for a while.

• Like 1

I was one of the people who also had the power problem with the recenet tinker version, maybe connected?

Have you ever solved the former problem? If in doubt, you can try to reduce the "Total" value of the power budget by 10 Watts and see what happens. (The default is 175).

Advanced -> Preferences -> Power budget

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Hi! Long time lurker here :-)

First of all, i'd like to thank all of you for your efforts, the mods and prints are looking great!

I already upgraded my Ultimaker2+ with a second feeder, what i don't have is the mark2 extension board..but somehow i can't PM, i always get an Error 403 Forbidden when i try to send click on Send Message. Maybe because i didnt write any posts here? I don't know.

Anyway, long story short:

How can i get one? :-)

Thanks again!

Edit: ok, my account was classified as spam, therefore i couldn't post or send messages. Gonna PM Syntax Terror directly!

Edited by Guest
Adding information

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

I want to say thanks to all developers Mark2 ....

Ultimaker 2 Aluminum Extrusion worker.

The first 2 printing is very good)))))

Edited by Guest

Can anyone help decipher these values Printing zones

[[-115, 112.5], [-10, 112.5], [-10, 72.5], [-115, 72.5]],

[[115, 112.5], [115, 72.5], [15, 72.5], [15, 112.5]],

[[-115, -112.5], [-115, -87.5], [ 115, -87.5], [ 115, -112.5]

[[-115, 72.5], [-97, 72.5], [-97, -112.5], [-115, -112.5]]

ERROR printing out of printing area

Had this again, with another part.

Until now 3x, and what is see is that the second head is always connected at the time of error, the head goes to the home position..

Used the tinker expansion board non extended version.

I was one of the people who also had the power problem with the recenet tinker version, maybe connected?

In Cura check: Travel->layer start x/y and set it to something like 100.0/50.0

Then you could activate the Mart2Tweaks Plugin.

And use the S3D gcode viewer (still better display of movements) to check for weird moves to the borders of the printing area. There shouldn't be any except for the very first and very last layer.

AGAIN!!! OUT of area printing

Cleaned the sd card slot, another SD card, changed power management.

2 times the same object (minnie mouse ;-), 1 time at 100%, & time at 50%, only connection i see is that it is at the same height (scaled), so i am going to check the G-code file.

You talk about S3D to check this?

Simple Question but what materials have been used to print the Marks2 in Beta Testing been looking to find a Heat Resistant Material.. just don't want to waist money getting something that does not suit...

Thanks

ERROR printing out of printing area

Had this again, with another part.

Until now 3x, and what is see is that the second head is always connected at the time of error, the head goes to the home position..

Used the tinker expansion board non extended version.

Then you could activate the Mart2Tweaks Plugin.

And use the S3D gcode viewer (still better display of movements) to check for weird moves to the borders of the printing area. There shouldn't be any except for the very first and very last layer.

I see a lot of movements, all to 0.0, and the first one gives the error already.

No how to get rid of them?

Already happy that it is not a hardware thing ;-)

With either

or

Then you could activate the Mart2Tweaks Plugin

or both

you should be fine (up to my experience)

If not just send the gcode file to @Tinkergnome. He always knows why (so far ;)

Simple Question but what materials have been used to print the Marks2 in Beta Testing  been looking to find a Heat Resistant Material.. just don't want to waist money getting something that does not suit...

Thanks

Motst of the guys used greentec PLA from extrudr

With either

or

Then you could activate the Mart2Tweaks Plugin

or both

you should be fine (up to my experience)

If not just send the gcode file to @Tinkergnome. He always knows why (so far ;)

I set the travel start to 50 50, and now i see the travel moves still happening, but they stay in the print area. Also visible in Cura.

Mart2tweaks did not solve this particuliar problem.

Now printing this new file, tomorrow morning i will see the result.

I will send Tinkergnome the file as soon as i figured out if it is in the software ;-)

Why is the additional nozzle on the right side of the shaft?

Wouldn't it have more printable area if the mount is mirrored and have the nozzle on the left?

:) True but there are some reasons.

a) development history (the earlier designs of the dock were too bulky too mount to the left corner as they would interfere with the end stops)

b) both bowden tubes / feeder positions would have to be re-arranged (otherwise the bowden of the parked head crosses the entire build area).

And at least we've got the option for the Mark3 triple extrusion without loosing any additional build space. 8)

Update 13 Mai 2017

AFter doeing this:

Cura check: Travel->layer start x/y and set it to something like 100.0/50.0

My error out of printing area is solved ;-)

Simple Question but what materials have been used to print the Marks2 in Beta Testing  been looking to find a Heat Resistant Material.. just don't want to waist money getting something that does not suit...

Thanks

Motst of the guys used greentec PLA from extrudr

that's fine but that's 1 supplier are there any other materials like XT or HT that were beta tested ??

At this moment i can say that i did a succesfull transformation of my UM2

Just a little review of the work done.

After reading about the magical magnetic changer, i knew i wanted one.

My base was a good working UM2 which was converted to the +. Very good and reliable machine. But ofcourse, no second extruder....

As soon as the project was "released", i printed the parts, put the magnets in, and mounted everything with the old UM2 head + feeder. Then i had some problems, the second head was to high. Immediatly i was supported, and got a spacer to print, which i did, after that it theoreticaly worked. But, the old UM2 head + feeder just did't cut it, feeder skipping, bowden blocked, bwaa, ordered an extrusion upgrade kit, and mounted that, what a joy, no more worries with the feed + nozzle.

Electricaly, i also ordered the Mark2 board + cables, no mess with cables, and, total control over the fans off the second hotend.

The first prints gave me troubles, with out of area messages and stopped prints. Turned out to be a Cura problem. (or at least, i found a workaround for this issue)

My final verdict:

If you have a UM2, and want a second head (who doesn't?) this is the way to go!

Play safe, order the mark2 board, use a original UM2+ extrusion upgrade kit, and good quality magnets. (900grams pulling force, these are some strong magnets!)

And, to all the founders, contributors and beta testers, i can't tell you all how happy you guys make me. Support at the right moment, you got me true here. It feels like having an (even better with more possibilies) UM3, but for a much lower price.

• Like 6

just because I'm curious, I wasted 18$ on the hot end metal parts from reprap.aliexpress. I wanted to have a look at the quality of this stuff. Well in short, I was more disappointed than I expected.

I would think these are relative simple parts, less critical vs for example an olsson block. But as you see in the picture  the parts do not line up nicely.  Also the threads in the middle part are not deep enough to use the normal Ultimaker screw length.

Sure you'll be able to get it to work, but if you have most of the parts already and want to go the DIY route I would advice to get real Ultimaker metal parts.

AliMetal.thumb.png.89293a64e08fc72b289be9f8eb76d0ba.png

• Like 3

AFter doeing this:

Cura check: Travel->layer start x/y and set it to something like 100.0/50.0

My error Сura 2.5 is solved ;-)

just because I'm curious, I wasted 18$ on the hot end metal parts from reprap.aliexpress. I wanted to have a look at the quality of this stuff. Well in short, I was more disappointed than I expected.

I would think these are relative simple parts, less critical vs for example an olsson block. But as you see in the picture  the parts do not line up nicely.  Also the threads in the middle part are not deep enough to use the normal Ultimaker screw length.

Sure you'll be able to get it to work, but if you have most of the parts already and want to go the DIY route I would advice to get real Ultimaker metal parts.

AliMetal.thumb.png.89293a64e08fc72b289be9f8eb76d0ba.png

Amen!

Extrudr TPU medium (white) and hard (black) printed on the Ultimaker Mark2 magnetic tool changer.

tpu1.thumb.jpg.2b0e6733ebe4813966022ae6bd411acc.jpg

tpu2.thumb.jpg.64c12a34712b99721d77229d997469b5.jpg

• Like 5

Would it be possible to just drill the holes in the back of the case for the second extruder. This way I wouldn't have to worry about it hanging off the back of the printer

• Like 1

I did that, but you have to feel comfortable with drilling that big hole and producing a lot of Dibond debris.

• Like 1

Maker's Muse tolerance text.

The first print came out almost superb.

No fighting with PETG for a comparable result.

makersmuse-tolerance.thumb.jpg.d6fd2d737ed5e1d7fc214c1c35dfa476.jpg

• Like 2

Would it be possible to just drill the holes in the back of the case for the second extruder. This way I wouldn't have to worry about it hanging off the back of the printer

DSCN6264.thumb.JPG.45188069556156d4fa6c59f1230b65e8.JPG

@Labern has a mirrored feeder assembly up on youmagine that works very well here.

• Like 1