Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

I've installed the firmware and did the calibration. I came across the well known bugs and solved them.

The first print I made today went well till the last 1/4 of the print. The UM just stopped.

IMG_5661.thumb.JPG.16374624ddb1038d86a67f2f84151cbc.JPG

TheFox had this issue as well. I now have changed the power budget from 140W/150W/40W/40W to 125W/150W/40W/40W. Tomorrow I will try this setting. Or do I have to alter the numbers a little more?

Also I have this issue...

IMG_5662.thumb.JPG.424c4e4f66a65ad3de2223d611065f4b.JPG

I couldn't find an answer in this thread. Is there a solution for this problem?

harmenschippers said:

Also I have this issue...

IMG_5662.thumb.JPG.424c4e4f66a65ad3de2223d611065f4b.JPG

I couldn't find an answer in this thread. Is there a solution for this problem?

This is the same issue I have that I refer to as below:

Issue: X rod crashes to the parked hotend (not yet solved)

5a5df2c2cb61c_UltimakerMark2calibration.thumb.jpg.5cd5dd3ab53d2b8aa473434333bfc7ee.jpg

I also haven't come around resolving this. Curious to know the solution as well.

@RudydG can you share you latest S3D profile, I like to give it try...

I am working on a S3D profile too, I'm focusing on tool change script with idle temperature and a soft acceleration/jerk control.

The latest script is good but not yet perfect.

My current version works good. There was some ooze issues after the printer reads T0/T1 beacuse it unretract immediately the new extruder.

With regard to the expected time and the real one, the maximum incongruity was +8 minutes.

If anyone will try it, let me know if there will be some problems.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3bs5chtbjl1qlk/Mark2_1.1.5.fff?dl=0

Marco,

First, i did not have time to test the 1.1.5 version.

Regarding S3D and speeds / accelerations for the second head.

Did you get this to work? I see additional command in the lower script portion in S3D?

This is about the only problem i still have, getting the setiings good for my second head with different material (Ultimaker Pva)

Have a newer version to test?

Many thanks,

Rudy

chiz

Print area problem by Y play with the print area Cura and printer

In the Mark2 definition json file, "machine_start_gcode" there were two G0/1 commands with Y20. I changed them to Y25 and updated the git repository.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

This is not a problem with the Gcode startup (

I think this is the firmware ....

Although it is necessary poprobyvat)))

I could not solve the problem through the starting gcode (

Edited by Guest

This is not a problem with the Gcode startup (

I think this is the firmware ....

Although it is necessary poprobyvat)))

I could not solve the problem through the starting gcode (

Did you change the "Wiping position" through the print menu?

Ok, first of all, I have tested the latest profile only with PLA/PLA so you will must adjust the parameters, maybe you can take a look from the cura settings for PLA/PVA or other.

I have some note about the new profile [Mark2_2.3.3], for you @RudyG and the other users.

- The profile allowes different settings per QUALITY profile, except the PRIMARY EXTRUDER in layer-addition-infill-support tabs that are managed by the extruders selection [First-Second-Both]

- The temperatures and the fan speed are managed by the materials selection as classic.

- In Gcode tab, you must check yours build volume. Also, you MUST NOT CHANGE the toolhead offset for T0 [First head] or T1 [second Head]. The offset must be [00,00] for all tools.

- Now is the turn of the Scripts tab. Depending on the extruder selected [First-Second or Both] S3D loads different script in "Starting", "Tool Change" and "Ending". This allows to use this profile with single prints.

- Starting script. At the moment it is the same that there is in Cura. Except some additional retractions. The 4.50mm retraction help me to get a clean tool change with minimum oozing. If you change this retraction in "Advanced" tab, you must change also in "Starting scripts". You can also set to zero if you don't need it.

The retractions are:

T1 ; swap to the 2nd head

[...]

G1 E35 F150 ; purge slowly

G92 E0 ; zero extruded length

G1 E-4.5 F1500 ; retract <-- S3D'S TOOL CHANGE RETRACTION SETTING

G92 E0 ; zero extruder

G1 E-16 F1200 ; tool retract <-- PRINTER'S TOOL CHANGE RETRACTION SETTING

G92 E0 ; zero extruder

G1 X120 Z0 F5000 ; move away from the prime poop

[...]

T0 ; swap to the 1st head

In my case the tool change retraction lenght is 4.50mm@25mm/s +16mm@20mm/s. I don't need extra prime, but I am not safe from some oozing.

- Tool Change Script. The script is almost definitive. It contains the idle temperatures for inactive extruder and the heat up for the new extruder. This script is managed by the extruder selection and not by material selection so you must change idle and initial heatup temperatures depending the material. It is also possible to manage these temperatures by material selection but in single prints the inactive head remains hot. I will work on it.

- The ending script is the same as Cura

The additional commands in post processing are made from neotko https://ultimaker.com/en/community/7450-simplify3d?page=10#reply-160373.

It would be a good thing try to set a lower acceleration/jerk when the second head is coupled. But at the moment I don't have time to study it.

To concluding, you have to ADAPT some settings to yours printers, these settings works good for mine I don't know with yours.

The 2.3.3 is not the definitive one, there are still steps to check and possibly modify.

I would just like to point out that this profile is an alternative and NOT a substitute to Cura.

_Updated version with correct retraction in starting script

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmt4nbuvejvkp07/Mark2_2.3.4.fff?dl=0

Edited by Guest

Ok, first of all, I have tested the latest profile only with PLA/PLA so you will must adjust the parameters, maybe you can take a look from the cura settings for PLA/PVA or other.

I have some note about the new profile [Mark2_2.3.3], for you @RudyG and the other users.

- The profile allowes different settings per QUALITY profile, except the PRIMARY EXTRUDER in layer-addition-infill-support tabs that are menaged by the extruders selection [First-Second-Both]

- The temperatures and the fan speed are managed by the materials selection as classic.

- In Gcode tab, you must check yours build volume. Also, you MUST NOT CHANGE the toolhead offset for T0 [First head] or T1 [second Head]. The offset must be [00,00] for all tools.

- Now is the turn of the Scripts tab. Depending on the extruder selected [First-Second or Both] S3D loads different script in "Starting", "Tool Change" and "Ending". This allows to use this profile with single prints.

- Starting script. At the moment it is the same that there is in Cura. Except some additional retractions. The 4.50mm retraction help me to get a clean tool change with minimum oozing. If you change this retraction in "Advanced" tab, you must change also in "Starting scripts". You can also set to zero if you don't need it.

The retractions are:

T1 ; swap to the 2nd head

[...]

G1 E35 F150 ; purge slowly

G92 E0 ; zero extruded length

G1 E-4.5 F1500 ; retract <-- S3D'S TOOL CHANGE RETRACTION SETTING

G92 E0 ; zero extruder

G1 E-16 F1200 ; tool retract <-- PRINTER'S TOOL CHANGE RETRACTION SETTING

G92 E0 ; zero extruder

G1 X120 Z0 F5000 ; move away from the prime poop

[...]

T0 ; swap to the 1st head

In my case the tool change retraction lenght is 4.50mm@25mm/s +16mm@20mm/s. I don't need extra prime, but I am not safe from some oozing.

- Tool Change Script. The script is almost definitive. It contains the idle temperatures for inactive extruder and the heat up for the new extruder. This script is menaged by the extruder selection and not by material selection so you must change idle and initial heatup temperatures depending the material. It is also possible to manage these temperatures by material selection but in single prints the inactive head remains hot. I will work on it.

- The ending script is the same as Cura

The additional commands in post processing are made from neotko https://ultimaker.com/en/community/7450-simplify3d?page=10#reply-160373.

It would be a good thing try to set a lower acceleration/jerk when the second head is coupled. But at the moment I don't have time to study it.

To concluding, you have to ADAPT some settings to yours printers, these settings works good for mine I don't know with yours.

The 2.3.3 is not the definitive one, there are still steps to check and possibly modify.

I would just like to point out that this profile is an alternative and NOT a substitute to Cura.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4czkxj7qw5qxlp/Mark2_2.3.3.fff?dl=0

Thanks Marco,

Will try this!!!

I made a version "only dual" too. It have idle temp depending the material selected.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ne6w9b30hok37a4/Mark2_2.4_Both.fff?dl=0

_Update

2.4.1 version with correct retraction in starting script

https://www.dropbox.com/s/alwsjlwsbdsl91c/Mark2_2.4.1.fff?dl=0

Edited by Guest

In the Mark2 definition json file, "machine_start_gcode"  there were two G0/1 commands with Y20. I changed them to Y25 and updated the git repository.

I changed the values for the next print myself in the json file and now it didn't occur. Thanks :-).

I hope this one will make it to the end. The settings I gave just gave a immediate power shut off after the bed was heated up. So now I changed the values to 125W/160W/50W/50W. Would it help to get another power supply? or should it just work with the given power supply from MeanWell 221W.

My current values are: 100W/180W/80W/80W

I tried at least 30 times to get it somehow stable. At the moment it seems to work, although LEDs are flickering a little bit when heatbed is heating up.

I thought about a stronger power supply, too, because heating times seem to be really long now.

In the meantime i tried several prints and had some issues with the offset parameters. Until i realized one magnet wasn't properly fixed :-)

Sorry for the PSU issue. Tinkergnome, who has the most insight, is still on holidays I believe and checks the forum only occasionally. I suffered from the same kind of mysterious shutdown. Still don't know why. The whole power management relies on assumptions, like the four values but also for the power the steppers will draw.

I suffered from the same kind of mysterious shutdown. Still don't know why. The whole power management relies on assumptions, like the four values but also for the power the steppers will draw.

Well, it seems that some PSUs are more sensitive than others, or the heated bed draws more current than others, or something similar... (perhaps manufacturing tolerances and bad luck?). It's true that the dual extrusion setup scratches at the limits of the PSU, but it should not be necessary to change the power limits that drastically. I think you would have problems with single extrusion as well, if your heated bed really consumes 180W and your nozzle heater 80W....?

I'm pretty sure that a bigger PSU can help, but they are not cheap...

Another thought: what about the current of the stepper motors? If I remember right, i use 1150mA for all of them. Perhaps that has an influence as well?

And how much current draws the led light? (my led stripes are broken, so I don't use them). This are the only other differences that I can think of.

I think we need to start a data collection regarding power settings. Maybe when we have enough people with working settings, we can figure out something that is shutdown-safe for everyone.

• Like 1

I must admid that i am a picky guy, the dual extruder parts that i print at this moment are already very nice. Maybe the tolerances i want to archieve are not neccesary, but i want it just to be good!

Really cool that Mark 2 is now in production and that it works for you guys, too :-)

At the same time my S3D UM mk2 profile seems to get better and better.

Would you be willing to share the profile?

With Mark 2 I started to mostly use Cura, as Cura 2.3+ is so much better than the Cura 1.x that I used in the beginning and that made me switch to S3D. But S3D is really better for some special cases like 1 perimeter walls, Cura just still messes that up as it's algorithms are built for closed-loop walls.

So if you want to print something "paper thin" like a lamp shade or so S3D gets it sliced very much better.

I did it :D...Got my first dual extrusion print.

IMG_5664.thumb.JPG.609e93b1fad85d795de0d6a7c9d007e6.JPG

It came out pretty well. I think I have to calibrate the settings it a little bit. There is a lot of extra filament coming out of the second extruder. I don't know how it's called. When the second head will start it's part of the layer there is always coming some filament out of the nozzle and that messes up the print a little, but I'm still satisfied.

My power settings at the moment are 125W/170W/80W/80W. I also pre heated the bed first to 60 degrees, before I started the print. Not intentionally, but I figured that when I was slicing up the print file I could pre heat the bed so that the print would start a lot faster. I will start a print with the same settings tomorrow, but not with a pre heated bed. I will let you know if that came out well again.

• Like 3

Another thought: what about the current of the stepper motors? If I remember right, i use 1150mA for all of them. Perhaps that has an influence as well?

And how much current draws the led light? (my led stripes are broken, so I don't use them). This are the only other differences that I can think of.

The LEDs - if they are some 15W/m type (but I would think they are less) - would use some 15-20W as the it's a bit more than 1 meter, maybe 1.20m.

I did it :D...Got my first dual extrusion print.

IMG_5664.thumb.JPG.609e93b1fad85d795de0d6a7c9d007e6.JPG

It came out pretty well. I think I have to calibrate the settings it a little bit. There is a lot of extra filament coming out of the second extruder. I don't know how it's called. When the second head will start it's part of the layer there is always coming some filament out of the nozzle and that messes up the print a little, but I'm still satisfied.

It's called oozing, is that what you mean? You could try less temperature. Are you using Cura or S3D? I think that Cura does temperature management of the stand-by nozzle, but S3D doesn't?

I think we need to start a data collection regarding power settings. Maybe when we have enough people with working settings, we can figure out something that is shutdown-safe for everyone.

Good idea SyntaxTerror and I'll add my settings which I've never had problems with on having a shutdown.

Using your board (VMT) with extrusion upgrade kit on main head (UM2 Ex) and original UM2 head /extruder as second head - I have changed the temperature probe and heater (40W) to UM2+ specs.

My power settings: 160/150/45/45 - hope this helps.

PSU is a GS220A24-R7B.

Edited by Guest

Oh, this reminds me: Could you also please add the prefix of your power supply? Is it a GS or GST unit?

It's called oozing, is that what you mean? You could try less temperature. Are you using Cura or S3D? I think that Cura does temperature management of the stand-by nozzle, but S3D doesn't?

Thanks, I will try with less temperature. For the dual print I used Cura, but normally I work with S3D and for the single color prints I prefer S3D.

Good idea SyntaxTerror and I'll add my settings which I've never had problems with on having a shutdown.

Using your board (VMT) with extrusion upgrade kit on main head (UM2 Ex) and original UM2 head /extruder as second head - I have changed the temperature probe and heater (40W) to UM2+ specs.

My power settings: 160/150/45/45 - hope this helps.

I think it's a great idea as well. Maybe it's also good to note what kind of power supply we have. brand, type, watts.

@harmenschippers, with Cura and standard PLA there should be zero oozing if temperature is set properly.

The basic sequence is a follows:

printing with ext1 at standard temp - lowering temp for the last seconds of a layer / at the same time heating up the idling extruder to a (lower) start printing temp - retracting ext 1 - extruder change - priming ext 2 - start printing and heating up to standard temp / at the same time lowering temp of ext1 to standby temp

and vice versa.

The amount of toolchange retract and priming can be controlled on-the-fly via the menu.

• Like 1