Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

2>

you can set the rotation direction on the printer, can't point to the exact location in the menu as I'm not near a printer atm.  (ask again if you can't find it..)

Advanced -> Preferences -> Motion Settings -> Invert axis

8)

• Like 2

I replied to cca1.  I will have the boards up on my store soon.  I'm hoping they arrive to me this week.  My kit will include magnets and screws, extension cables and circuit board.  The only other thing you need is to get a plus kit or build your own equivalent or use an old "non plus" that was replaced by a plus kit.  I only sell to usa, canada, mexico with a very few exceptions (things in my store not in any other store).  My store: thegr5store.com

GR5 - Thanks!!

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Hello everybody

I have a few problems and questions.

Last week I exchanged the old print head from my UM2 (with Bondtech Feeder Universal (right) and Tinkergnome V16.03.1) with the new UM2+ upgrade kit print head. Afterwards I printed to test, if everything still works the Benchy boat and it was all right.

Yesterday I changed everything to Mark2: add Bondtech Feeder Universal LeftHand, old printed head, Mark2 board and Tinker-Mark2-expansion-board-17.02.2.hex.

1. Is the firmware “Tinker-Mark2-expansion-board-17.02.2.hex” correct or do I need to take the “Tinker-Mark2-dual-17.02.2.hex”?

2. The Feeder of Extruder 1 has been rotating backwards since the new firmware “Tinker-Mark2-expansion-board-17.02.2.hex”. The Feeder of Extruder 2 runs normally. How can I fix this?

3. What kind of glue (brand and type) do you use? For me, the magnets do not hold with my UHU plastic glue. At each toolchange, the magnets drop off.

4. Is this distance of 2.1mm ok? I thought with the old UM2 print head it was 1mm.

2_1mm.thumb.jpg.95bdc8f16901c9951c95541d004cb868.jpg

5. Am I right that I can adjust the 5.1mm in the menu "Adjust Z (nozzle 2)" and then the printer knows how high the plate must go after the tool change when printing?

5_1mm.jpg.0f699b67968dd0ac9b4c1a23a16008bb.jpg

Thanks for your feedback

Just to let you know, in my case, it was about 5mms, and i had to change the position of the second head, i printed a plstic shim to reduce the gap to 2mms

With the 5mms my z axe went crazy during the head change or pick-up.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

1. Is the firmware “Tinker-Mark2-expansion-board-17.02.2.hex” correct or do I need to take the “Tinker-Mark2-dual-17.02.2.hex”?

2. The Feeder of Extruder 1 has been rotating backwards since the new firmware “Tinker-Mark2-expansion-board-17.02.2.hex”. The Feeder of Extruder 2 runs normally. How can I fix this?

3. What kind of glue (brand and type) do you use? For me, the magnets do not hold with my UHU plastic glue. At each toolchange, the magnets drop off.

4. Is this distance of 2.1mm ok? I thought with the old UM2 print head it was 1mm.

2_1mm.thumb.jpg.95bdc8f16901c9951c95541d004cb868.jpg

5. Am I right that I can adjust the 5.1mm in the menu "Adjust Z (nozzle 2)" and then the printer knows how high the plate must go after the tool change when printing?

5_1mm.jpg.0f699b67968dd0ac9b4c1a23a16008bb.jpg

1>

the "expansion board" firmware is ok if you have installed the custom electronicsboard from @syntaxterror, if you have just hardwired your 2th pair of fans to the first, you should take the other.

2>

you can set the rotation direction on the printer, can't point to the exact location in the menu as I'm not near a printer atm.  (ask again if you can't find it..)

3>

just superglue, (Cyanoacrylate), what material did you print the parts in?

4>

if there is no play in the part anymore it's ok, rotate the steel coupler untill there's a little pressure

5>

Yes, first do normal bed leveling on head 1 (T0) then change to head2 (T1) from the menu, and do the Z adjust on the 2th head, it will set the Z offset.

1. Done.

2. First I changed something wrong in "Store invert flags", bad mistake:( but then I found the right menu item.

3. Have organized superglue and now it works. I still had an old unopened "Proto-pasta High Temp PLA v2.0 Iridescent Ice" spool here.

4. Done.

5. Done.

@RudydG Thank you for your feedback. I will have a look at this later (at the moment it "works" a little bit).

Fist good thing (for me), my first dual print:D:

5a333c155dc81_Dualcalibration.thumb.jpg.35a80c76f2e9b04e52318e3cf45a46b5.jpg

Bad thing:

A few pages before I read something about the head2 push against the belts at the start from gcode calibration.v03 (had the same problem), so i solved the problem like an other user. I was waiting (with head2 in my hand) until the green lines (head1) was starting, then i put head2 on doking station an above you can see the result.

Bigger problem:

The printer is going out much times (heating bed, head1, head2, fan on...)

I read something about the power budget but i dont know, on what I must pay attention.

My settings (I have not made any changes):

Total: 160W

Buildplate: 150W

Extruder 1: 35W

Extruder 2: 35W

What can i do here?

Just finished my longest print and i'm very happy to show you the ultimaker drill in 50% size:

20170614_172028.thumb.jpg.73fc53519cc70b4b6392adfc84a9625d.jpg

Total print time was about 21h...The little offset at the left happened, when my prime tower lost contact with the heated bed :angry:

but all in all it came out great! My only tweak was to use a bowden tube which is slightly longer than the original one. Now it has a little bit more flexibility, because i had problems when the bowden tube pushed my second extruder to the front so it dropped off.

20170614_172525.thumb.jpg.11034dd6010546b0345d3918c8864e27.jpg

Next is PVA :)

• Like 3

My settings (I have not made any changes):

Total: 160W

Buildplate: 150W

Extruder 1: 35W

Extruder 2: 35W

What can i do here?

Simply lower the total. That's your budget. Don't touch the other values unless you happen to know their actual wattage. Try 140W instead of 160W.

• Like 2

Thank you, i changed from 160W to 140W and my next test (calibration.v03) work without problems.

Now I do not know what menu I need to change, so the green and orange line meet them.

Can someone tell me the menu point and what I must adjust?

:(

Thank you, i changed from 160W to 140W and my next test (calibration.v03) work without problems.

Now I do not know what menu I need to change, so the green and orange line meet them.

Can someone tell me the menu point and what I must adjust?

:(

Second, in the firmware check Dual extrusion - > wiping position and set the y value to something like 40 mm.

Have to agree with what foehnsturm has said - there have been a couple of us who have had this problem at the start - once a suitable value has been entered into the Y offset it works superbly :)

For help, my offsets are:  X 18.20   Y -24.95 - Maybe good starter input positions?

I've done this to solve this issue. Pages 7 and 8 covers most of this problem.

Edited by Guest

Thanks.

I have read this 10 times but I have not come clear with that.

But now it works and after 16 calibration (calibration.v03) it "works" :)

After that I add "Mark2 for Ultimaker2" in cura.

Know i want to print my first "easy dual project" and it fails...

1. Download this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21773

2. Load both files for extruder 1 and 2

3. Make settings for extruder 1 and 2

4. Merge both models

5. Save the file to de SD card

6. Try to print --> fail

- The extruder 2 touched the buildplate at the first extrusion.

- When extruder 1 starts to print, the builtplate ist to high and extruder 1 scratched the buildplate.

- After i try to print the calibration.v03 again and everything works fine.

What did I forget to set? (Its the first time i used cura 2.5).

Or maybe i miss something with the start code?

Thanks.

I have read this 10 times but I have not come clear with that.

But now it works and after 16 calibration (calibration.v03) it "works" :)

After that I add "Mark2 for Ultimaker2" in cura.

Know i want to print my first "easy dual project" and it fails...

1. Download this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21773

2. Load both files for extruder 1 and 2

3. Make settings for extruder 1 and 2

4. Merge both models

5. Save the file to de SD card

6. Try to print --> fail

- The extruder 2 touched the buildplate at the first extrusion.

- When extruder 1 starts to print, the builtplate ist to high and extruder 1 scratched the buildplate.

- After i try to print the calibration.v03 again and everything works fine.

What did I forget to set? (Its the first time i used cura 2.5).

Or maybe i miss something with the start code?

How much is your z-offset?

Edited by Guest

Uuuh, I have forgotten...

After starting the "Traffic Cone" gcode, first the buildplate going down and makes noise, because it wants to go too far down (for 1sec).

And maybe it helps others, my extruder offset:

20170615_134221.thumb.jpg.e2882c52f2b69b8459afb249dbab985b.jpg

Hope you mean this from the picture?

Why the question? With this (z 3.61mm) the gcode calibration.v03 works fine.

Hope you mean this from the picture?

Why the question? With this (z 3.61mm) the gcode calibration.v03 works fine.

It is exactly the same problem i had. Exactly!!

Get your 2nd head higher, closer to the first, and all these problems will be gone.

Just try, hang your 2nd head out of the printer, reduce your z offset to 1 mm, and simulate your trafiek cone startup. You will see the printer acting normal.

Edited by Guest

Thanks @RudydG for your feedback.

After another 10 try without success I think I'm too stupid for dual print. :angry:

Here the values for the buildplate:

Extruder 1

extr1.thumb.png.e09e944043b9fc116b830216f366a265.png

Extruder 2

extr2.png.37868f7e20c5be73fbb7b6a1f5ec0b83.png

What values should I now adjust and on which value?

Edited by Guest

I'm sorry for disturb your conversation. Can anyone give some help about the question I did?

My printer work well with the tool change script from Simplify3D software but my aproach need to say Marlin FW where the tool is docked and know what tool need to park and who catch on tool change operation.

FYI: I'm not professional programmer.

Hello everyone:

I've decided to give a try your magnetic change tool idea, but on Marlin firmware. The HW part was easy, my tool change and tools dock work as expected on my corexy 3d printer, based on gcode movements scripts.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPrkprSMp72lGJGt_kH_XNHlfAwQs7Cx9gEU2iv

I'm trying to make 3 independent exchangeable printheads. But i would like to do in Marlin firmware to make it independent to the slicer/host used to slice.

I was digging on the forum, foehnsturm and Tinkergnome's postings and i couldn't find code from to start. At github just can get a compiled hex specifically for the UM2. Can anyone give a link to the plain code to try out to get work to standard Marlin flavour?

Thank you in advance.

Sorry for my english, it isn't my native language. :D

After another 10 try without success I think I'm too stupid for dual print. :angry:

Extruder 1

Extruder 2

(maybe a stupid question) Do you set the z axis also for extruder 1? if yes, I haven't done that. Just calibrate your buildplate with extruder 1 just how you normally would do and then set the z axis for extruder 2. if not, I haven't said anything...

• Like 1

I recently bought a new PSU just to the test if the printer can work with the original power budget settings. The PSU is a slightly better than the original.

- Power supply original: MeanWell GST220A24

- Power supply new: MeanWell GST280A24 (around €75 ex. vat). It comes with a six pin molex plug so I made a 6 to 4 pin adapter cable.

You see the only thing changed is the watts from 220W to 280W. Maybe an upgrade of the power supply will improve the stability of the power usage and not using the max of the power supply (if that is the problem). It could be an option to think about when you do the mark2 upgrade.

Now I have a question about the power budget (I'm feeling pretty stupid), but I can't remember what my original power budget settings were and I want to start from there. Is there a way where to find these original settings? I know the last 2 numbers were ...W/...W/35W/35W. I'm using a Ultimaker 2+ extended (if that is relevant).

I thought of one option and that is doing a factory reset, but I don't know what will happen and everything seems to work now and have been calibrated. But if that will bring the original numbers back of the power budget settings I will do a factory reset, but I was hoping for someone that maybe knows these things :-).

- Power supply new: MeanWell GST280A24 (around €75 ex. vat). It comes with a six pin molex plug so I made a 6 to 4 pin adapter cable.

@harmenschippers - where do you got the power supply at this price? AFAIK it is (usually) much more expensive... Can you share the source?

...and can you share some details about how to make the adapter? That would be great!

Now I have a question about the power budget (I'm feeling pretty stupid), but I can't remember what my original power budget settings were and I want to start from there.

IMHO the defaults are: 175 / 150 / 35 / 35

@harmenschippers - where do you got the power supply at this price? AFAIK it is (usually) much more expensive... Can you share the source?

@tinkergnome - I've bought the power supply at "Koning & Hartman" (dutch store) and the exact amount was €77,15 ex.vat..

...and can you share some details about how to make the adapter? That would be great!

I will share the details how to make one when I'm back this weekend. I've to go in about 10 minutes :-). I will make a drawing and post that later. I will also look up the number of the plug I used. I ordered it from mouser and was around €5. I will come back to this.

Now I have a question about the power budget (I'm feeling pretty stupid), but I can't remember what my original power budget settings were and I want to start from there.

IMHO the defaults are: 175 / 150 / 35 / 35

Thanks a lot. I will try to print the cone again with these settings.

• Like 1

Great Job Guys,

I tried it today post calibration and it works like a charm, just needs fine tuning on the retraction and ooze, any inputs on those will be welcome, looking forward to print alloy910 with UM PVA, and PLA with UM PVA, print area is reduced but atleast there is a solution for dual prints on old UM2 +, keep up the good work guys, would love to see a triple tool change soon from you guys, Thanks once again from Dubai, and i would love to sell the kit here and be your stockist here :)

Regards

Rajil Pahuja

Just store both the Z values and you shud be good to go, i would recommend a 0.03 gap which i like to keep, but 0 gap also wud work, the z offset is automatically calculated in the offsets, unless you want to do something special u dont need to touch that figure, hope this helps

Extruder 1

Extruder 2

(maybe a stupid question) Do you set the z axis also for extruder 1? if yes, I haven't done that. Just calibrate your buildplate with extruder 1 just how you normally would do and then set the z axis for extruder 2. if not, I haven't said anything...

Hi,

Facing one issue here, when i use cura with mark2 tweak, i cant save profiles that i make, is anyone here facing the same issue, for me the profiles are important to save time on re-entries, anyways to do this, i am using cura 2.5 with mark2 tweak, thanks in advance for any help

Hi,

I am facing a issue here is anyone has a solution, i cant save any profiles that i make in the mark2 tweak for cura, i am using cura 2.5, has anyone here faced this issue, is there a remedy for it, please let me know, thanks in advance

Regards

Rajil

Yeah, this is a known issue, somehow cura has issues dealing with custom multi extruder printers when they use the material definitions of the Ultimaker2.

There are 2 options, quick fix, save a project, this does work.

Maybe needed (but not sure) to really fix this, define all materials specifically for the Mark2.

Yeah, this is a known issue, somehow cura has issues dealing with custom multi extruder printers when they use the material definitions of the Ultimaker2.

There are 2 options, quick fix, save a project, this does work.

Maybe needed (but not sure) to really fix this, define all materials specifically for the Mark2.

Will try this one tomorrow hopefully can resolve this, thanks for the quick reply :)