Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

• 2 weeks later...
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Why are the acceleration and Jerk settings so low on the standard Mark2 profile?

There's no special reason (at least not that i'm aware of). AFAIK this are the standard formulas that Cura uses, if acceleration or jerk control is enabled. You can disable it in Cura, if you want. Mark2 works with the standard values of the printer as well.

What's the reason of your question? Did you noticed any serious drawbacks related to these values?

Hi Tinkergnome,

Have you ever experience that, the Mark2 sometime won't do the tool change retract after changing the head? This happen occasionally, not frequent but at least few times within a single print.

Have you ever experience that, the Mark2 sometime won't do the tool change retract after changing the head?  This happen occasionally, not frequent but at least few times within a single print.

Nope. Can you share some more details? What's the firmware version? Which slicer? What's the printing temperature?

Have you ever experience that, the Mark2 sometime won't do the tool change retract after changing the head?  This happen occasionally, not frequent but at least few times within a single print.

Nope. Can you share some more details? What's the firmware version? Which slicer? What's the printing temperature?

I am using your latest 17.06 firmware with Cura 2.7, temp is 185 with PLA, seems it just some time skip the retract before tool change. Now I try to use tool retract in Cura and stop using the firmware one, same result, it just sime time simple ignore the retract g1 gcode before T1/T0 command. So strange.

I am using your latest 17.06 firmware with Cura 2.7, temp is 185 with PLA, seems it just some time skip the retract before tool change.  Now I try to use tool retract in Cura and stop using the firmware one, same result, it just sime time simple ignore the retract g1 gcode before T1/T0 command.  So strange.

I guess, that it's simply the so called "cold extrusion prevention". With a default printing temperature of 185°C Cura calculates a "Final printing temperature" of 175°C. And if the temperature falls below 170°C the extruder will not do any moves. This value can be modified with the M302 command. You can add this command at the end of the start gcode and check if the behaviour changes:

;reduce the minimum printing temperature to 150CM302 S150

Hello.

At first thank you so much for this, after everything works out as expected I'll be definitely considering a donation.

After a small flash while attaching everything I had to wait for a replacement of the motherboard (of course missing E2-slot). Now everything is working fine besides the fans on the second hot end. (Using mark2 expansion board).

If I manually set the fan speed to 100% they are spinning but not as fast they should. The hot end fan does not kick in regardless what I'm doing (heating up over 40°C is necessary I guess).

I measured the voltage at the hot end fan port and when it should be off, there are 4.9v without load or 2.8v with a fan attached.

As soon as it's used to power up the fan, the voltage drops down to 0v.

I've changed the Ulticontroller, tried different 5v fans but keep facing the same behavior. I ordered a new mark2 expansion board and hope that this one's just faulty but I wanted to ask if I missed some settings needed with using this board, I thought connecting the ext-cable should be enough to control the fans in a proper way. I followed the guide on magnetic-tool-changer.com and I am using Tinker-Mark2-expansion-board-17.09.hex as firmware.

Thanks in advance for your help and once more for this awesome upgrade!

Ok, i solved the problem by replacing the transistors, now everything is working as expected :)

One thing I noticed, if I cancel a job, the main extruder drives nuts in every action following like it totally lost orientation, trying to bypass boundaries.

Anyone else noticed this? Maybe related to firmware?

ReFI30)r

that's a hell of a name - I see no body has answered you, I cant help I'm afraid as I haven't finished my install, I hope support for this mod is not waining, hopefully some will answer you???

Ok, i solved the problem by replacing the transistors, now everything is working as expected :)

One thing I noticed, if I cancel a job, the main extruder drives nuts in every action following like it totally lost orientation, trying to bypass boundaries.

Anyone else noticed this? Maybe related to firmware?

I had something similar once where it would retract the filament as if it was doing a material change - did a full system reset, re-entered all the data gained from initial set up and never had any more problems.

I see no body has answered you

A possible reason may be that no one else noticed this, or that no one else regularly aborts print jobs... :)

@ReFl3x0r - I think, it's a bit hard to guess, what is meant by "main extruder drives nuts". A few more explanations or a short video would be nice...

- main extruder == extruder axis? - or the print head (x/y axis)?

- the print was started from sdcard and aborted on the printer?

- or are you using usb / octoprint?

Take sure that the second printhead is always decoupled (resides in the dock) if you switch the printer on.

And: please explain what you have done exactly, what happed, and what you've expected instead. Looking forward hearing from you! :)

• Like 3

Dear Community, currently I'am working on the Mark2 upgrade for my UM2+ (great project :-). I was wondering if the current Cura resources files on GitHub will work with the latest versions of cura 3.0.X or do I have to downgrade towards Cura 2.x?

Does someone have any experiences on this.

Dear Community, currently I'am working on the Mark2 upgrade for my UM2+ (great project :-). I was wondering if the current Cura resources files on GitHub will work with the latest versions of cura 3.0.X or do I have to downgrade towards Cura 2.x?

Does someone have any experiences on this.

Running latest Cura with v.17.09 firmware here with no problems at all.

Get it built, and enjoy the dual extrusion :)

• Like 1

Joris

I have just installed the files into Cura 3.1 and they are working I too have been installing the upgrade and just switched on for the first time and no fireworks ??? the calibration is next how did you get on with the install ??

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

I have problems with cura 3.1, several settings are hidden, like travel > x start layer and y start layer, someone noticed this? ( the are hidden by the current machine??)

I always set them to 40,40 the avoid the unwanted moves and crashes from the heads.

Edited by Guest

Hi Bob,

I have printed my parts in octofiber carbon filament to comply with the heat. Looks nice. Currently I am waiting for the Mark2 Extension board kit to be delivered.

But its still a bit awkward to do the install because my UM2+ is printing so nicely. I am a little bit worried to loose the precision it currently has after the install.

Joris

I have just installed the files into Cura 3.1 and they are working I too have been installing the upgrade and just switched on for the first time and no fireworks ??? the calibration is next how did you get on with the install ??

Joris

Understood completely, I waited till the machine needed to be serviced, a miss hap with Build tack sorted that out, I took the opportunity to install both 3d solex heads, I had and the Bondtechs, I used the expansion board and that went fairly well,, I had more problems printing the new Head and getting the magnets to stay put than anything else, and I think the life of my printed parts is not that good but it will get me started... have you checked you have the second extruder port ?? I double checked all the wiring and checked again (Phew) I also made my own Fan cables as I didn't have the WireHarness... Good luck with the install I think it is well worth it..

Hi Bob,

I made the upgrade, it looks cool but Yes I encountered some issues. The main one is that the machine reboots (crashes) by itself during a printjob.I encountered this almost 8 time's during calibration.

I was wondering if this is a common error? I have used the mark2 expansion board with the original Ultimaker extruder feeder upgrade on a ultimaker 2+ from 2015/2016

Regards Joris 

IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

I have been using this upgrade, for almost 6 months, without issues, could you enlighten us with some video etc, which version you installed, cause havent seen rebooting at all.

Hi joris,

The PSU might shut down with  dual extrusion, if all heaters and steppers are switched on at the same time.

There are power budget settings in the firmware to limit the wattage for the heaters and bed heater.

I suggest using the forum search with "power budget".

• Like 1

I had this issue too...

i changed my power budget to 100W/180W/80W/80W to get it to work.

In the end, i got a new PSU and used the original values.

Some users switched to another PSU with higher wattage, but had to make a new plug.

Thnx for your fast replay, I will check the forum how this works hopefully I get it fixed ;-)

5 hours ago, joris said:

Thnx for your fast replay, I will check the forum how this works hopefully I get it fixed ;-)

Beside the problem with the power supply, i encountered 2 other issues that caused crashes.

1: when using the old printhead from the um2 (not+), the gap between the 2 nozzles is to big (Z offset), and you have to print a spacer.

2: put some x and y start figures (mine are at 40), to avoid unwanted head moves, outside the printarea, with fysical crashes as result.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joris said:

IMG_2827.jpg

btw, forgot to mention. Your setup looks super-clean :+1:

• Like 1

Thnx, Foehnsturm, I think the setup with the power adjustment is working just fine see my printed cone ;-)) Thnx for this great hack!

I was wondering, printing in the mark2 setup reduces the building platform a bit.

How can I use the full platform when using one extruder. Can I just switch in Cura to UM 2+ and make a file, and switch the UM to one extruder mode with the mark2 firmware? Or is the full building platform no option anymore with the mark2 setup? 

IMG_2842.jpg

• Like 1

Single extrusion mode should work as you described.