Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Another handy thing I have found is that if you mount the second head before starting the print, the second head is used without any modifications to the gcode file :)

Make sure your start code allows enough space for the second head during filament purge etc - Can't remember if I had to adjust it!!!

• Like 1

Joris 

I like your setup it looks clean.. have been working on reel holder before going to calibration,  I have noted your problems and hope I don't get the same, My power supply is very new so hopefully should be fine good luck with your prints how are you getting on with cura???

On 19-12-2017 at 10:41 AM, TheFox said:

I had this issue too...

i changed my power budget to 100W/180W/80W/80W to get it to work.

In the end, i got a new PSU and used the original values.

Some users switched to another PSU with higher wattage, but had to make a new plug.

Thnx, these settings did work for my UM also. But like you recommended I also ordered a new PSU today just to be sure. 

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
    1 hour ago, bob-hepple said:

Joris 

I like your setup it looks clean.. have been working on reel holder before going to calibration,  I have noted your problems and hope I don't get the same, My power supply is very new so hopefully should be fine good luck with your prints how are you getting on with cura???

Hi Bob,

Thnx, I put the feeder on the right which made it possible to put the steppenmoter inside the UM and it provides easy acces for changing fillement. I wanted it to be compact because I use the machine in the Ikea fabrikor cabinet. An UM fits perfectly in this (http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/20242277/), you only have to change the fillament rol to the bottom instead of the back. 

And yes Cura 3.0.4 seems to work well, I will test it more thoroughly in the upcoming Christmas holiday's with more materials etc.

IMG_2849.jpg

Edited by joris

15 minutes ago, joris said:

Hi Bob,

Thnx, I put the feeder on the right which made it possible to put the steppenmoter inside the UM and it provides easy acces for changing fillement. I wanted it to be compact because I use the machine in the Ikea fabrikor cabinet. An UM fits perfectly in this (http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/20242277/), you only have to change the fillament rol to the bottom instead of the back. 

And yes Cura 3.0.4 seems to work well, I will test it more thoroughly in the upcoming Christmas holiday's with more materials etc.

IMG_2849.jpg

Hi Joris!

Is it easy to change the filament on the printer?

And is the cabinet air-tight?

Thanks.

Hey guys,

Someone here who can translate Italian to English (and gets more meaning across as google translate)?

Still want to add the 3rd extruder to Mark2. The only, but major problem with that is ofc electronics. Half a year back we already discussed the multiplexer idea but with no real result.

This crazy guy now drives 9 extruders with his ?multiplexer? setup https://immaginaecrea.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/flusso-canalizzatore-a-4-vie-la-stampa-3d-a-4-colori-e-gia-realta-per-lambiente-reprap-prima-parte/

And his results are just awesome 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foehnsturm said:

Hey guys,

Someone here who can translate Italian to English (and gets more meaning across as google translate)?

Still want to add the 3rd extruder to Mark2. The only, but major problem with that is ofc electronics. Half a year back we already discussed the multiplexer idea but with no real result.

This crazy guy now drives 9 extruders with his ?multiplexer? setup https://immaginaecrea.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/flusso-canalizzatore-a-4-vie-la-stampa-3d-a-4-colori-e-gia-realta-per-lambiente-reprap-prima-parte/

And his results are just awesome 

Maybe i can find someone, but to what i can see is this board, can be used for switching between extruders which makes sense, but how ever it wont address the problem of the third heater or sensor i am guessing, or perhaps there could be another way around this, although i do think there could be way by designing the mark2 board again by adding these and perhaps a motor driver, using a second power supply and communicating between them using the ext/exp

Yep, the board is for the steppers, additional heater and temp sensor he doesn't need.

But as far as I can remember our discussion, finding a suitable and cheap way to control the additional the stepper driver was the biggest issue.

But taking the prusa super switch board as an inspiration might work as well.

Edited by foehnsturm

Where do you read 9 extruders?

Without translating it completely, my italian is not good but good enough to scan through it and get the idea.

He uses a board with 8 relais to duplicate 2 extruders into 4, each 4 relais switch the 4 wires of driver to one motor of two.

Two extension pins of the printer board switch 4 relais at the same time.

There is just one hotend with 4 „inputs“ and one temp sensor so that is not solved with this solution to have multiple hotends.

In theory heater and temperature could be connected the same way but that would not allow for standby temperature or proactive heat-up.

So in my view that’s not a solution for us.

Extruders can be multiplexed, maybe even the temperature sensors, but the heater can’t if you need a relevant duty cycle of >= 50%.

1 hour ago, conny_g said:

Extruders can be multiplexed, maybe even the temperature sensors, but the heater can’t if you need a relevant duty cycle of >= 50%.

So this leaves us with the question if there are unused i/o pins we can use to control a mosfet for the heater. 

We would need at least:

• one to control switching between 2nd and 3rd
    • one pwm output for the 3rd heater
    • optionally, one analog input for the temp sensor

And the 9 extruders is his more recent work.

On 12/12/2017 at 10:45 PM, RudydG said:

I have problems with cura 3.1, several settings are hidden, like travel > x start layer and y start layer, someone noticed this? ( the are hidden by the current machine??)

I always set them to 40,40 the avoid the unwanted moves and crashes from the heads.

Nobody? Anyone on 3.1 on a mac?

3 hours ago, RudydG said:

Nobody? Anyone on 3.1 on a mac?

Please go to configure cura in preferances menu, there go to settings and then you can choose layer start to be visible, hope this helps :)

On 12/12/2017 at 10:45 PM, RudydG said:

I have problems with cura 3.1, several settings are hidden, like travel > x start layer and y start layer, someone noticed this? ( the are hidden by the current machine??)

I always set them to 40,40 the avoid the unwanted moves and crashes from the heads.

I think, it's not related to Cura 3.1, you can (re-)enable it in the machine definition file, if you want ("Mark2_for_Ultimaker2.def.json").

Near the end of the file:

"layer_start_x":
            {
                "default_value": 105.0,
                "enabled": false
            },
            "layer_start_y":
            {
                "default_value": 27.0,
            },

• Like 1

I don't think so. NulledStack

14 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

I think, it's not related to Cura 3.1, you can (re-)enable it in the machine definition file, if you want ("Mark2_for_Ultimaker2.def.json").

Near the end of the file:

"layer_start_x":
            {
                "default_value": 105.0,
            },
            "layer_start_y":
            {
                "default_value": 27.0,
            },

Thanks, a lot of settings i missed are in there ;-)

Hello Mark2 users,

I would like to share my latest version of the mark2 profile for S3D.

This profile is not issues free, the toolchange process is better and shorter than the previous version.

In addition, I would like to report a minor issue too, with the latest firmware [17.09] during the toolchange the machine ignore completly part of my script:

G1 X[next_position_x] Y[next_position_y] F[travel_speed] ; move XY first
    G1 Z[next_position_z] F1500 ; zero lift

The head moves to the next coordinates simultaneously, this isn't a big problem but I would like to understand why it does.

EDIT: forgot the link and some notes

Edited by MarcoUbtz
    • Like 1

5 hours ago, MarcoUbtz said:

The head moves to the next coordinates simultaneously, this isn't a big problem but I would like to understand why it does.

It seems like you put a lot of effort into this scripts, but to be honest - i don't get why you put all these extra x/y/z and e moves into the toolchange script.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, but it should not necessary at all and potentially interferes with the toolchange sequence of the firmware.
    And be aware that all these scattered "G92 E0" commands only work as long as the option "Allow zeroing of extrusion distances..." stays enabled...

To answer the question: The tool change sequence of the firmware includes a small z-hop. This is compensated during the first move after the toolchange.
    (i assume that's what you mean with "simultaneously move").
    You never do a z move in your script, that's why your "zero lift"-line does nothing. If you would add a "z-lift" at the beginning of the toolchange-script, it would probably work in a way that you have in mind.

But be aware that this will reduce the print area in z-direction. The same applies to your x/y moves in the end script - if someone uses the full print area it will bump the printhead into the wall... Not a big deal, but you should mention it.

Keep up the good work!

I prefer seperate movements because if there are some ooze under the nozzles the "script" lock and stick the ooze on the prime pillar or the shield and it will not fly over the printed parts, go up on the nozzles or scratch the object with the wrong material.

The final script moves the head and the build plate in to the switch direction and it can be completely stripped, until now it never give me problems.

I know that there are a lot of zero extruder but with the current version they are necessary to avoid wrong positioning of the materials lenght.

You are right @tinkergnome, I will add a warning/readme text file on dropbox whit the note of the profile.

PS, just to be curious, what are inside the T0/T1 and wipe files?

Hey I want to play too! I've been busy with other things and haven't kept up with all the latest toys. I just stumbled upon the Mark2 & WOW! I am excited.

I already have some goodies left over from the UM2+ upgrade, like the original hot end stuff with Olsen block installed. I just ordered a Mark2 board from GR5, official UM2+ fan shroud from FBRC8 (USA) & have a knock off UM2+ coming at some time from China on order. I *should* have everything else.

I have no need for multi-color extrusion. My main focus is trying PLA support filament. If I could get this working/dialed in, I will be very, very happy! I have not made many designs with blind internal cavities requiring support because it is too hard to get the support out (like pipes or manifolds etc). If this works, it'll be a real game changer for me!

So I have to go ALLLLLLL the way back to page one and read up! BUT - I just wanted to say THANK YOU! to everyone contributing to this project. In other circles, I am a major contributor and know that gratitude goes a long way to fuel the work. So thanks fellas! 

• Like 1

Hi WiseOldOwl,

Great to see you joining the bandwagon.

For the short way to the Mark2 upgrade just visit magnetic-tool-changer.com. You will find all the instructions there.

6 hours ago, foehnsturm said:

Hi WiseOldOwl,

Great to see you joining the bandwagon.

For the short way to the Mark2 upgrade just visit magnetic-tool-changer.com. You will find all the instructions there.

Thanks! Doin' it.

I can't seem to locate in Step 6, the referenced "Chiz' cheat sheet" somewhere in this thread...Can anyone point me to it? (or just reply with quote of the post)

EDIT: Chiz Cheat Sheet from May 24th HERE: (Click on chiz replied to a topic to go to cheat sheet)

Edited by WiseOldOwl
    Found Cheat Sheet...

Hi @MarcoUbtz , Where did you get all these variables ? Are they listed in a file ? ex: [next_position_z] , [travel_speed] etc....

Thanks

hey @tinkergnome, i have a problem with my code. When the temperature drops, it stabilizes at 80 ° and not 170 ° for both extruders.

[extruder2_temperature] = 170° ( managed cooling variable on S3D side, dummy T2 tool )

{IF NEWTOOL=0} M104 S[extruder2_temperature] T1
    {IF NEWTOOL=0} M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0
    {IF NEWTOOL=1} M104 S[extruder2_temperature] T0
    {IF NEWTOOL=1} M104 S[extruder1_temperature] T1

What do you think ?

4 hours ago, rigs said:

Hi @MarcoUbtz , Where did you get all these variables ? Are they listed in a file ? ex: [next_position_z] , [travel_speed] etc....

Thanks

Already found??
    Here are my noted links:

https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1959

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1