Jump to content
foehnsturm

Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Recommended Posts

Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
7 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

 

Yep, the setting stays there, once it is stored - at least until the next "factory reset".

Go to "Advanced -> Preferences -> Print area" and reduce the maximum z-value to a lower value (225mm is the default for an UM2+).

 

BTW: thank's for the picture - it looks great!

this could also be a option :) and coming from tinker it has to be, he is a genius with this stuff :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Thank you very much, the factory reset stopped the extended z movement.

Now I will go through the whole settings again including a renewal of the firmware.

 

One other question:

I have used the stepper of the UM Original feeder to drive the UM2 feeder for the second unit. 

It is this one.  

IMG_6806.thumb.jpg.3e4b55d6be2260f6ba7199eeb0e45383.jpg

Also I believe the same the UMO uses for xyz axis movement.

Can you tell me how many steps I need to adjust to and - more important - where do I change the steps per length?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
51 minutes ago, garaha2012 said:

Thank you very much, the factory reset stopped the extended z movement.

Now I will go through the whole settings again including a renewal of the firmware.

 

One other question:

I have used the stepper of the UM Original feeder to drive the UM2 feeder for the second unit. 

It is this one.  

IMG_6806.thumb.jpg.3e4b55d6be2260f6ba7199eeb0e45383.jpg

Also I believe the same the UMO uses for xyz axis movement.

Can you tell me how many steps I need to adjust to and - more important - where do I change the steps per length?

 

I guess @tinkergnome would be the best person to answer it, i think there shudnt be much difference though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Thank you, maybe I should just try and filament loading will give me the first indication where I stand.

Sometimes one reads too much instead of just trying ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
1 hour ago, garaha2012 said:

Thank you very much, the factory reset stopped the extended z movement.

Now I will go through the whole settings again including a renewal of the firmware.

 

One other question:

I have used the stepper of the UM Original feeder to drive the UM2 feeder for the second unit. 

It is this one.  

IMG_6806.thumb.jpg.3e4b55d6be2260f6ba7199eeb0e45383.jpg

Also I believe the same the UMO uses for xyz axis movement.

Can you tell me how many steps I need to adjust to and - more important - where do I change the steps per length?

 

The motor is 1.8 degree same as UM2+ motor. If your are using UM2+ board and UM2+ feeder, the default 369 estep should probably work fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
3 hours ago, garaha2012 said:

I had my Ultimaker original - very original, one of the very first - converted to be an UM2+

Nice conversion!!  seems like you're almost there, good luck and show us some results

Edited by ultiarjan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
37 minutes ago, yyh1002 said:

The motor is 1.8 degree same as UM2+ motor. If your are using UM2+ board and UM2+ feeder, the default 369 estep should probably work fine. 

 

I don't know the specs of the UMO motor, but if you have to change the steps its easy in tinker firmware, you'll find it here;

 

Advanced/preferences/motion settings

Edited by ultiarjan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Hello everyone. Recently I converted my UM2+ into a Mark2 as well and so far it was a very smooth ride.

The reason I did the upgrade was the ability to print with PVA as support. I startet with a small test print I got from Umagine and ran into a problem with Cura (version 3.1 is the one I tested). I can set up the second extruder to print the support structure but compared to the support structure of the UM3 profile it is completely different. This particular print however would benefit from the UM3 type structure but even when I choose the exact same settings Cura doesn't want to build the structure the way it does for the UM3.

 

Here is how it looks with the Mark2 Cura profile vs. the UM3 Cura profile. Is there any way to get the same kind of support structure or is this hard coded into Cura? Or are there some best practices in term of support structures for the Mark2 using PVA?

 

 

UM3SupportvsUM2Mark2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
39 minutes ago, Glomby said:

even when I choose the exact same settings Cura doesn't want to build the structure the way it does for the UM3

 

I doubt, that there's something hard coded regarding the support structure that depends on the machine type,

my first thought is: make all support settings visible and compare it again....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
1 hour ago, Glomby said:

Mark2 Cura profile vs. the UM3 Cura

In my opinion the difference in support structure is due to the different characteristic between Cura 2.5 and Cura 3.1. It is not the difference in UM2 vs UM3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

In the right photo it looks like horizontal expansion is set to 3mm (the default for PVA profiles) and on the left it looks like it is set to zero.  Note that this is a crucial feature for PVA as PVA doesn't print on top of PLA so well so you want PVA "all the way down" to the build plate in one continuous path.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
5 minutes ago, gr5 said:

In the right photo it looks like horizontal expansion is set to 3mm (the default for PVA profiles) and on the left it looks like it is set to zero.  Note that this is a crucial feature for PVA as PVA doesn't print on top of PLA so well so you want PVA "all the way down" to the build plate in one continuous path.

Yes indeed this was the missing setting. And yes the reason I was looking for this was due to the support being printed on top of the PLA and thus peeling of mid print. The part did turn out quite alright even with the sub optimal support structure but I'm gonna give it a try with 3mm expansion next.

 

And while we are at it. Cura also comes with Profiles like "Fine 0.1mm" which are missing from the Mark2 Menu. Is it possible to import these profiles somehow? I was pretty satisfied with my print quality and having missed the expansion setting I might have messed up some of my other settings too. Simply using my old profiles would be quite helpful then, especially when I'm printing with PLA/ABS. I obviously need new settings for PVA.

 

The way Cura hides settings is kinda confusing. Some settings are hidden because they are calculated based on other settings but settings like the horizontal expansion isn't based on anything and is hidden in the UM3 profile but is needed for Mark2. Being able to just copy a working profile from my stsndard UM2+ settings and using that as a baseline would be a lot less prone to errors like that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

The profile files are overwhelming in cura 3.X.  For UM3 0.4 nozzle alone there are about 80 files.  (3 or 4 resolutions X 10 or so materials, compatibility profiles, settings profiles, material profiles) It's a bit of a mess.  Creating these is a pain in the neck reserved for someone paid to do so.

 

Creating a SINGLE profile for one nozzle combination and single material combination and single printer (say 0.4 pla, 0.4 pva mark 2, 0.1 layer, slow speeds) is one thing but then immediately someone else will want one for 0.6mm pla and 0.4mm pva (less pva wastage) or for faster lower rez or for higher resolution.  Suddenly it's 20 profiles just for pla/pva and another 20 for pla/pla.  This is a great project for someone to do but it seems like a lot of work.

 

I wish one could put everything into a single profile - maybe python formulas or case statements to calculate things like temperature and you could have sliding scales for nozzles (layer height = nozle height /3 maybe).  Temperature could also be a formula.  But this is not a feature of the profiles as you have to have a separate profile file for each mode (quality and nozzle and material).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
5 hours ago, Glomby said:

Cura also comes with Profiles like "Fine 0.1mm" which are missing from the Mark2 Menu.

 

We tried to inherit the quality profiles from the UM2+, but this seems not to work anymore (with Cura 3.x).

This is a task for someone who knows more about the Cura internals.

 

I made a test definition for the Cura 3.2 BETA without this linked quality settings, so you get at least the ability back to use the standard profiles (and you can save your own).

 

The link to the definition file is in this thread, if you want to test it. But the modified start script only works for Cura 3.2

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
13 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

 

We tried to inherit the quality profiles from the UM2+, but this seems not to work anymore (with Cura 3.x).

This is a task for someone who knows more about the Cura internals.

 

I made a test definition for the Cura 3.2 BETA without this linked quality settings, so you get at least the ability back to use the standard profiles (and you can save your own).

 

The link to the definition file is in this thread, if you want to test it. But the modified start script only works for Cura 3.2

 

 

 

Thanks for the update! The new definition totally worked with quality options in CURA 3.2b. Creating and updating profiles finally works properly. 

I've been creating multiple machines to have dedicated setting for head 1 print, head 2 print, PVA support and PVA interface only print. 

And I find UltiGcode flavor works more handy than Marlin. 

The start code for Marlin would heat up and prime both nozzle in all conditions. But in UltiGcode mode, only the necessary nozzle will be heated up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Hello @foehnsturm,

I would like to report a minor-negligible issue with the updated head.stl file, the main head part is positioned 0.25mm higher than the cable cover.

This is not a real issue but it could create problems if the user does not notice it before printing.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
3 hours ago, MarcoUbtz said:

Hello @foehnsturm,

I would like to report a minor-negligible issue with the updated head.stl file, the main head part is positioned 0.25mm higher than the cable cover.

This is not a real issue but it could create problems if the user does not notice it before printing.

 

 

Thanks, will fix tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
On ‎05‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 11:53 PM, tinkergnome said:

 

We tried to inherit the quality profiles from the UM2+, but this seems not to work anymore (with Cura 3.x).

This is a task for someone who knows more about the Cura internals.

 

I made a test definition for the Cura 3.2 BETA without this linked quality settings, so you get at least the ability back to use the standard profiles (and you can save your own).

 

The link to the definition file is in this thread, if you want to test it. But the modified start script only works for Cura 3.2

I just got around testing it. I just wanted to download Cura 3.2 Beta when I noticed the final release is also available. Do I still need the Beta because it seems like profiles still don't work with 3.2 (non beta). I can't select UM2+ Profiles and when I try to save my own Cura crashes.

 

I also found another weird thing. For some reason extruder 2 only heats up to 175°C to do the initial priming and I think also for the first layer. I'm using my PVA profile with 215°C which worked fine before. I can't find anything that would set to temp that low other than the standby temp, but why would it use the standby temp for the priming? I just manually edited the gcode to fix this. It's just the very first heatup temp that's messed up, everything else works fine.

 

All of this is with the .json definition file you linked in the post above (and Cura 3.2 non Beta).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
39 minutes ago, Glomby said:

I can't find anything that would set to temp that low other than the standby temp, but why would it use the standby temp for the priming?

 

Yep, Cura inserts the standby temperature for the inactive extruder now. You have to adjust the start script (if you have a customized one).

 

@ahoeben explained the new possibilities in the Cura 3.2 BETA thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
1 hour ago, tinkergnome said:

 

Yep, Cura inserts the standby temperature for the inactive extruder now. You have to adjust the start script (if you have a customized one).

 

@ahoeben explained the new possibilities in the Cura 3.2 BETA thread.

I don't use a custom start script. So I have to edit this manually for now? Is there a way to fix this in the future, it seems like such a small inconvenience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Here is a picture how the start script looks like in my "hacked" printer definition. The 'priming step' uses the temperatures of the first layer for both extruders.

Unfortunately i cannot reproduce your problem with this script.

If it looks different in your machine settings, the changed definition is not used by some reason. Can you make a comparison?

I can make a pull request for the Mark2 repository, but only if we figure out, if it works properly.

 

 

 

Mark2_Cura32.PNG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:45 PM, MarcoUbtz said:

Hello @foehnsturm,

I would like to report a minor-negligible issue with the updated head.stl file, the main head part is positioned 0.25mm higher than the cable cover.

This is not a real issue but it could create problems if the user does not notice it before printing.

 

 

just went to git hub to update my files (going to Carry On with Conversion this weekend), Do I just need the Head file and not the head B file,, I got the Head a file 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
On ‎07‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 9:11 PM, tinkergnome said:

Here is a picture how the start script looks like in my "hacked" printer definition. The 'priming step' uses the temperatures of the first layer for both extruders.

Unfortunately i cannot reproduce your problem with this script.

If it looks different in your machine settings, the changed definition is not used by some reason. Can you make a comparison?

I can make a pull request for the Mark2 repository, but only if we figure out, if it works properly.

 

I've tested both versions of Cura now. 3.2 Release and 3.2 Beta and it looks different in the Release Version but it works as intended in the Beta Version. I'm gonna use the Beta for now, because the profiles work and the start script.

 

I'm currently thinking of trying out octoprint for the first time. Do I have to do anything special when using Mark 2 or is it just like setting it up for a standard UM2+. Obviously with the right printer settings, since as fas as I understand you have to enter them manually in octoprint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
4 minutes ago, Glomby said:

I've tested both versions of Cura now. 3.2 Release and 3.2 Beta and it looks different in the Release Version but it works as intended in the Beta Version. I'm gonna use the Beta for now, because the profiles work and the start script.

Same over here !!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!