Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
1 hour ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

Why not making a Cura plugin out of the Mark2 files?

Sounds overly complicated to me...

Why not make a pull request for the Cura repository and add the printer to the list of official delivered configuration files?

• Like 1

Hey everyone,   well I am going to do this mod to my UM2 now.  I just recieved 2X of the 2+ extrusion upgrade kits with geared feeders and olsons.   Just awaiting the adapter pcb  from GR5   to begin the process.

This is a very cool project and will be my first dual extrusion experience.   I've built custom cartesian and delta printers for about 6 years now.  Really excited to try PVA etc. supports because I'm a mech. design engineer and I hate simplifying parts for FDM !! ha.   

Anyway  my name is Dave  From California.

IMG_20181007_093659.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/4/2018 at 8:03 PM, tinkergnome said:

Sounds overly complicated to me...

Why not make a pull request for the Cura repository and add the printer to the list of official delivered configuration files?

Because then you will have to adjust all the files immediately when the beta comes out so they work with the stable release. Maybe even earlier. Remember that e.g. this time there were only two weeks between beta and stable release.

A plugin can be updated later, after the stable release and people can download whenever the people in charge of the Mark2 Cura files found the time to adjust them for the new version.

• Like 1

I got a little nervous using PolyMax PLA for the head and coupler parts   so I am re-printing some parts at work today on the Form 2 using V5 tough resin.   I'll post pics when the parts are fully grown ?

This is great to see Dave. So starting with a "Ultimaker 2" you upgraded to "2+"and then used a second upgrade kit for the second head? Your success is encouraging.

Great to see that Polymax PLA is working

I am not sure what to use, I have Makergeeks Raptor PLA, regular PLA, eSun PLA+, eSun PETG, Polymaker Polylite PLA and assorted ABS. I am leaning towards Raptor PLA but wonder about possible shrinkage.

Cheers

JH

• Like 1

That is correct, I updated the UM2  to a UM2+ and then bought a second UM2+ head assembly.   This was all very intuitive and easy to setup,  Boy  those geared feeders sure make a difference  ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, looking for some help. I have been trying to upgrade my custom Ultimaker 2 to a Mark 2. Everything is assembled and installed, including the expansion board. Though mo matter what version of Cura and Mark 2 Firmware I use, all that I keep getting is "Error - Stopped Temp sensor 2228 bytes free Go to: Ultimaker.com/ER01" I have used Cura 15.04.21 & 3.2.1 with every single firmware the Mark 2 offers and I'm still stuck. .I know its not the sensor or the board. Both are responsive and work flawlessly when I run the machine with regular firmware. 

Additionally, not sure how to change the following values in the Mark 2 firmware, when I finally get it running. I only know how to change the values in Arduino and then upload them to the machine through USB. The important part is that I changed my Ultimaker case and added two E3D Titan Extruders. My current working values are as follows. I basically want the Mark 2 mod with these additional values.

Z_Max_Pos 400

DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   (80.0, 80.0, 200, 837)
    DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE              (300, 300, 40, 20)
    DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION     (9000, 9000, 100, 3000)

FILAMENT_REVERSAL_LENGTH      (FILAMENT_BOWDEN_LENGTH = 150)

FILAMENT_REVERSAL_SPEED         75

FILAMENT_INSERT_FAST_SPEED    75

Any help is very much appreciated. Just want to print with two materials already, Thanks everyone. 

2 hours ago, ixenriquez said:

Both are responsive and work flawlessly when I run the machine with regular firmware.

The message looks weird... If you compiled it yourself, i guess that something got messed up?

Do you get the same errors with the pre-compiled Mark2 firmware?

No, I was able to print perfectly fine before. I did not compile firmware for the Mark 2. I just mentioned that I modified the Ultimaker2Marlin firmware as the instructions given online to replace the extruders for E3D Titian extruders. I also increased the Z_Max_Pos to accommodate mu custom case. So everything works perfectly fine when I manually modify it in arduino for Ultimaker2Marlin. When I try and install any version on the available Mark 2 firmware hex files, I get the previously mentioned error. The earlier 17.02 gives me Error - Stopped Temp sensor free Go to: Ultimaker.com/ER01 and 17.06 & 17.09 give me Error - Stopped Temp sensor 2228 bytes free Go to: Ultimaker.com/ER01. I have tested it against four different temp sensors. Seems to be some sort of software issue from what I figure. 

1 hour ago, ixenriquez said:

No, I was able to print perfectly fine before. I did not compile firmware for the Mark 2. I just mentioned that I modified the Ultimaker2Marlin firmware as the instructions given online to replace the extruders for E3D Titian extruders. I also increased the Z_Max_Pos to accommodate mu custom case. So everything works perfectly fine when I manually modify it in arduino for Ultimaker2Marlin. When I try and install any version on the available Mark 2 firmware hex files, I get the previously mentioned error. The earlier 17.02 gives me Error - Stopped Temp sensor free Go to: Ultimaker.com/ER01 and 17.06 & 17.09 give me Error - Stopped Temp sensor 2228 bytes free Go to: Ultimaker.com/ER01. I have tested it against four different temp sensors. Seems to be some sort of software issue from what I figure. 

Aan so you are trying the E3DV6, please be careful about changing the timing to reach the temperature, also can u explain in more detail when are you getting this error, is it at the start or is it when you put a target temperature in preheat or while attempting a print, let us know so we can help you.

I have not changed the hot ends, just the extruders. All I have done is change the extruders and extended the z build volume to around 360mm. I input modified values into Ultimaker2Marlin with arduino and the machine works very well when I do. When I try and install any Mark 2  firmware after my initial modification I keep getting the mentioned error. I just want the expanded capabilities of the dual head.  Everything is printed, assembled, and connected for the Mark 2 upgrade, including the official expansion board. Its just this error that keeps holding me back. 

I cant do anything after install the Mark2 Firmware. It immediately goes to the error and doesn't allow anything else. 

26 minutes ago, ixenriquez said:

I cant do anything after install the Mark2 Firmware. It immediately goes to the error and doesn't allow anything else. 

For this you have to modify the mark2 firmware, because the normal mark2 firmware doenst allow you to use the E3DV6, so only tinkergnome can help you with that, because only he has the firmware and knows how to change it ?

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
    4 hours ago, ixenriquez said:

My best bet is that the second temperature sensor is not connected or gives false readings.

In this case you will get this error with any dual extrusion firmware, but not with the single extrusion variants.

The sensors are connected directly to the main board (if i'm not wrong....?), so this is unrelated to the expansion board.

To proof my assumption you can connect the printer via USB to a serial console (e.g. printrun/pronterface). This will show you a more detailed error message. The extruder number (0 or 1) and the error type (MINTEMP or MAXTEMP) is written to the console.

Once the printer starts normally one can change the print area and the steps/mm in the preferences menu.

Edited by tinkergnome

Again, to be clear, not installing any E3D hot ends, only the E3D Titan extruders. I have two UM2 hotends from Aliexpress and installed those to be compatible with the Mark2 upgrade. I have also included pictures of my setup for clarity. Everything works for a single nozzle setup in UltimakerMarlin, but not Mark2. Could it be as simple as installing a different temp sensor? If so, which is recommended. Here is what I got from Ponterface @tinkergnome. Thank you for your support. 

Connecting...
    start
    Printer is now online.
    echo:Marlin 1.0.0
    echo: Last Updated: Oct  7 2017 18:25:39 | Author: Tinker_Mark2_17.09
    Compiled: Oct  7 2017
    echo: Free Memory: 2274  PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
    echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
    echo:Steps per unit:
    echo:  M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z200.00 E369.00
    echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
    echo:  M203 X300.00 Y300.00 Z40.00 E45.00
    echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
    echo:  M201 X9000 Y9000 Z100 E10000
    echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
    echo:  M204 S3000.00 T3000.00
    echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s),  E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
    echo:  M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
    echo:Home offset (mm):
    echo:  M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
    echo:PID settings:
    echo:   M301 P12.00 I0.75 D55.00
    echo:Dual setup: enabled
    echo:Home offset z2 (mm): 0.00
    echo:Dock position: X223.00 Y43.00
    echo:Firmware wipe: disabled
    echo:Wipe position: X105.00 Y27.00
    Error:1
    [ERROR] Error:1

: Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !
    Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
    [ERROR] Error:Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. 

DSCF0648.JPG

DSCF0649.JPG

DSCF0650.JPG

DSCF0652.JPG

DSCF0654.JPG

DSCF0655.JPG

4 hours ago, ixenriquez said:

[ERROR] Error:1

: Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !

Yep. That means the temperature reading for the second nozzle is higher than 275°C (the "1" in "Error:1" is the tool number - T1)

There's either no PT100 plugged in TEMP2 or the sensor / cabling is faulty (assuming that it is not that hot in your room... ?).

Thank you @tinkergnome. Ill try and do some tests, hopefully its just the sensor.

14 minutes ago, ixenriquez said:

Ill try and do some tests, hopefully its just the sensor.

If you swap the plugs on the mainboard TEMP1 <-> TEMP2 the error message should change to:

[ERROR] Error:0

then you know, it's the sensor.

I am having problems with the second print head dislodging (falling off) from the first print head when it travels towards the back of the print bed. I believe it is due to the tension from the curve in the bowden tube that pushes the second print head forward. The bowden tube is what came with the upgrade kit and is approximately 65cm long. I have already replaced the magnets with stronger ones than called for. Do I need to get a longer bowden tube or does anybody have any other ideas of how to fix this problem. Thank you

I did suffer from a similar problem from time to time on my set up, so increased the length to 80cm and it has not occurred since.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Thanks to ALL the developers of the Cura 3.5 3.6 chicken works well (the extruder moves exactly on the tower)

I love it 😜 the print is very good 🤗

tinkergnome

I want to ask this project  DXU UM2 much better? (as viewed from the firmware side)
    Should I switch to it?

Edited by qwerty8224

1 hour ago, qwerty8224 said:

I want to ask this project  DXU UM2 much better? (as viewed from the firmware side

t.b.h. - i have no clue which changes were made to the DXU firmware...

It's a different approach, if you have a good source for the needed hardware it's probably worth a try.

On 11/28/2018 at 11:37 PM, qwerty8224 said:

I want to ask this project  DXU UM2 much better? (as viewed from the firmware side)

On 11/29/2018 at 1:38 AM, tinkergnome said:

t.b.h. - i have no clue which changes were made to the DXU firmware...

There is no fundamental difference with firmware. I changed a few things for the hardware and my preference. 

To name most of them here:

1. Movement for nozzle change is slightly different.

2. After switching nozzle, the head heat up next to the dock and go directly to print. It skips the move of going to front prime position. 

3. Y reach and bed levelling position are no longer related to dock position.

4. Changed temperature tuning limit from 25 to 99. 

5. Limit the filament forward speed by max feedrate setting.