Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Posted · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade
On 5/21/2017 at 8:16 PM, navigator said:

Here you go ultiarjan, my first attempt after doing a re-cal of the head :)

Printed at 0.15mm using Cura, which also is a learning curve for me as normally use S3D 😞

Has anyone got any suitable S3D config files available yet?? Would be handy :)

I have ordered the new temp sensor and higher wattage heater as per the upgrade kit which will help when the 2nd head is required, but I think it works amazing - thank you and the other members of the team for your efforts ❤️

[url=http://i.imgur.com/bGGHfdV.jpg]

Andy

Hi Andy, 

What are your settings for this? 

Mine does not come out as good as yours. 

1642112950_WhatsAppImage2021-09-18at16_05_14.thumb.jpeg.e70d2b581930d7acb5d73e84576c3a5d.jpeg

I'm asking this because i still get this artefacts when the 2nd nozzle wants to move throughout the other printed part. I already tried several retraction values and z-hop but i cannot print it clean without a prime tower. 

Any suggestions?

Prime tower or you can try an ooze shield (it's under experimental). 

thank you!

I will try it. 

If I enable Z-Hop for both extruders and set retraction distance to 7 it works for me for PLA. But maybe there is a smoother solution. 

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Mark2 - The Smart Dual-Extrusion Upgrade

Just finished the upgrade on my UM2Ext+ (UM2+Ext?) using the expansion board kit from aliexpress. The kit was missing several bolts, nuts and wires, and the magnets are much too weak as has been noted by others, but the circuit board works perfectly. After getting all the extra bits and pieces the instructions were pretty straight-forward. I chose to drill holes on the back of the printer to attach the expansion board mounting frame as the 2nd head fan connecter is too short to reach the bottom of the printer. So far everything is working perfectly and I'm happily printing with dissolvable supports.

However, I've noticed that dual nozzle support for any kind of bed adhesion is sketchy at best. I've done some tests using default starting values in cura and a basic cylinder test model:

Skirt:
    When selecting extruder 1 for the object and extruder 2 for printing a skirt, the second nozzle is simply outright ignored, and nozzle 1 prints everything.
    When swapping, selecting extruder 2 for the object and extruder 1 for printing the skirt, extruder 1 begins printing the skirt, then extruder 2 comes in half-way through and finishes printing the skirt.
    It also seems that the numer of lines is double what I selected in Cura in both scenarios.

Brim:
    When extruder 1 prints the part and extruder 2 prints the brim, again, the second nozzle is completely ignored. Also, the number of lines in the brim is double what I selected.

When extruder 1 prints the brim and extruder 2 prints the part, extruder 1 sucessfully prints the brim as directed, however, extruder 2 comes in, prints an additional 3 lines of brim on the outside, then proceeds to print the part.

Raft:

Again, if extruder 1 is selected for the object and extruder 2 for the raft, everything gets printed only with extruder 1.

When extruder 1 is selected for the raft and extruder 2 for the object...it works, actually.

Edited by user978537432

Also a more specific question: I've noticed that when aborting a print, it can mess up which extruder the printer thinks is currently in use. This results in having to swap extruders in reverse order ('picking up' extruder 2 when it's already picked up or 'dropping' it off when it's already docked), resulting in banging against the dock uncerimoniously. In order to avoid the needless wear and tear, how can I view and change the current extruder electronically without performing the physical swapping procedure?

On 11/11/2021 at 8:56 PM, user978537432 said:

Also a more specific question: I've noticed that when aborting a print, it can mess up which extruder the printer thinks is currently in use. This results in having to swap extruders in reverse order ('picking up' extruder 2 when it's already picked up or 'dropping' it off when it's already docked), resulting in banging against the dock uncerimoniously. In order to avoid the needless wear and tear, how can I view and change the current extruder electronically without performing the physical swapping procedure?

In answer to my own question, it seems the default state after aborting is always extruder 1, so just physically plucking the second extruder off and putting it back in the dock before starting a print works.

Edited by user978537432
    • Like 1

Hello, i finished with the upgrade and my question is. It is work with the actually Cura 5.1?

I'm sure it does as there isn't a lot of difference between cura 4.1 and 5.1.  @foehnsturm Any thoughts?

After posting of the Question, i seen in Cura 5.1 the Mark2 already are importet.🙈

It were nice if the instructuion get a update. 🙂

• Like 1

Just completed my UM2 Mark2 build. Ordered the PCB from aliexpress, just replaced the magnets to some better ones and wanted to print my first (single extruder) PCB case with the new firmware.

The printer heats up just fine, makes a little line with extruder 2 (which is strange, didn't select extruder 2 in the cura print file...) Extruder 1 follows the test line and the little poop. After that, both extruders cool down to standbye temperatures, so i'm not able to print anything... Am I missing some setting i needed to change?? 

I do get some temperature sensor errors, but after heating up the extruder with a heat blower, everything runs normally... (Cura 5.6 with the Mark2 Profile and modded nozzle files)

Just a quick update,

Chose the normal UM2 profile in Cura to print with a single extruder, worked flawlessly!

Chose the Mark2 UM2 profile in Cura to print the callibration print:
    - Everything heats up fine (to 210 degrees, which i stated in Cura)

- First to test lines get printed fine, then the 1st extruder starts the print, and the nozzle temp just stumbles slowly down... Is the printer not able to keep both nozzles at the correct temperature (Power wise?) read most of the complete topic, but i'm unable to find a solution... if someone has any idea what I'm doing wrong....

While it's printing, if you are in the TUNE menu and you go to set the temperature, it shows two temperatures:

goal temp

current temp

Is the goal temp staying at 210 yet the current temp dropping?

I would suspect a fan blowing directly on the nozzle maybe?

Well if you are printing very fast with a large nozzle and fan is 100% then indeed I could imagine this to be a problem.  So 0.8mm nozzle, printing 0.3 layer thick, 30mm/sec then yes, the heater can't keep up.

Do you have the latest firmware from tinkerMarlin?  There may have been an older version with weird power budget code that cut back power to a nozzle?  I don't remember that.  The latest version prioritizes power to the nozzles over the print bed.

30 minutes ago, gr5 said:

While it's printing, if you are in the TUNE menu and you go to set the temperature, it shows two temperatures:

goal temp

current temp

Is the goal temp staying at 210 yet the current temp dropping?

I would suspect a fan blowing directly on the nozzle maybe?

Well if you are printing very fast with a large nozzle and fan is 100% then indeed I could imagine this to be a problem.  So 0.8mm nozzle, printing 0.3 layer thick, 30mm/sec then yes, the heater can't keep up.

Do you have the latest firmware from tinkerMarlin?  There may have been an older version with weird power budget code that cut back power to a nozzle?  I don't remember that.  The latest version prioritizes power to the nozzles over the print bed.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Just printed again and checked.

In the standard menu i can select the nozzles and see the temps:

Nozzle1: temperature going down / 0 [Looks like the gcode/firmware is really cooling it down to zero)

Nozzle2: around 160 / 200 [Temperature in standbye]

I'm not sure where to find the last firmware verison? I downloaded the github one, V19.03 [Dated five years ago..]

I feel like its in the gcode...

this is the last part of the start sequence and the beginning of the print:

M104 T0 S(210, 0)
    G92 E-7.0
    G1 E0 F45 ;purge nozzle
    G1 E-5.1 F1500
    G1 X60 Z0.01 F5000 ; move away from the prime poop
    G1 X20 F9000
    M400 ;finish all moves
    G92 E0
    ;end of startup sequence

M141 S28
    G92 E0
    G92 E0
    G1 F1500 E-5.1
    ;LAYER_COUNT:1
    ;LAYER:0
    M107
    M104 T1 S100
    M204 S250
    M205 X10 Y10
    G0 F7200 X14.5 Y46.543 Z0.27
    ;TYPE:SKIRT

I've edited the file manually and added M104 T0 S210 after the M104 T1 S100 part, i'll let you know it this fixes it...

Edit:
    looks like it works, it's not on the correct line i think... Temperature of T0 goes down at the beginning, so i might add a M109 T0 in there to wait for the correct temperature.

But weird Cura doesn't add this itself... did I mess something up with the resources files?

Or should i add any information in this settings menu? (see attached image)

image.thumb.png.64b720be1eb9921d632fbdeffcd4103f.png

Edited by MrMennens000
    Extra information

3 hours ago, MrMennens000 said:

I'm not sure where to find the last firmware verison? I downloaded the github one, V19.03

That's the correct one.

I don't know anything about what version of cura and what settings in cura you need.  That should be somewhere in the above 39 pages of posts.

• Like 2