Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Recommended Posts

This is almost certainly caused by failed bed adhesion. Plastic is collected around the nozzle, and forms a shell. The printer keeps extruding, and (after a while) the only way the molten plastic can go is up.

You will have to contact your reseller for this. If it's PLA, you might be able to fix it yourself, but the risk of ending up wit damaged hardware is large.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

bed adhesion was perfect. waitet the first 4 layers. the printed part was 10x10cm, square.

edit: was PLA


Bed adhesion can cut loose after a time.

Be very careful with that as that is how I bent my fanguard. But I will tell you how I did get it off.

First, be very, very careful. I seriously cannot state this enough.

Second, go to the firmware controls and turn the printcore temp up and wait for it to heat and then slowly start to pull off the material with needle nose pliers. I had a glob of PETG that did that.

If it is way up into the electronics of the core, I would suggest contacting reseller first.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it back from the UM reseller here in germany.... they said that it was a "clogged nozzle".

In my understanding there wont be any filament when the nozzle is clogged... am I wrong?

433,30 Euros for a clogged nozzle (2 new print heads and some time)???

Wow, I really start regreting buying the UM3 with that crazy expensive heads...

Edited by Guest

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had that happen to me once. For some reason something broke free of the plate and stuck to the nozzle, and so any new material would just build up around the head since it was being deposited in midair.

Took me over an hour, but I manually heated up the print core and used tweezers to pull as much softened material as I could. Then I took out the print core and used a micro heat gun (used in soldering rework) to free up residual material. Luckily it was PLA, so it had a relatively low temperature. And luckily the electronics board on the print head was clean so I stayed away from that. Thought I would have ruined something, but it all came out OK. The only damaged part was that white silicone-type gasket which the nozzle protrudes through, but it's not too bad.

Hope you have similar luck.

5a333bcb885e1_badprint1.png.f5376ee70690bc3e3557eec43279bb54.png 5a333bcb5d566_gunkeduphead.thumb.png.bcb73a83a0fbe544229dbae23e20df9d.png



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
      We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 
        • Like
      • 130 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!