Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
14chris2011

Gaps between merged models, Cura 2.5

So when trying dual extrusion I noticed I had a major weakness at the boundary between then different materials. When I checked the sliced files I found there was actually a gap between the parts after they were sliced. I checked and the model doesn't have gaps in it which can be seen in the images below. I was hoping someone might be able to shine some light on this. Also as a test, I set both pieces to use the same extruder and I get the same gap in the sliced model.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have a setting that I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Christopher

qGOo4Kz.jpg

ISwIbGC.jpg

If you have set the model to one extruder, I would think there is something about the model. If you could provide that I would be happy to take a look at it.

But, just a quick question, what did you make/cut the model in and are all the pivot points aligned?

And Bagel-orb is right. But I have never seen that happen to me and I have done several merged models.

Thank you both very much for your replies. It turns out that with any negative "Horizontal Expansion" (I had -0.1), no matter how large "Merged Meshes Overlap" is the model will never touch.

Once I set "Horizontal Expansion" to 0, it came together.

I hadn't realised "Horizontal Expansion" would be a factor.

Thanks again for the help.

Ps the part I was printing is Tri Spinner Dual Colour

Thank you both very much for your replies. It turns out that with any negative "Horizontal Expansion" (I had -0.1), no matter how large "Merged Meshes Overlap" is the model will never touch.

Yep, that'll do it!! LOL Glad you found it out.

I asked about the splitting of the model because I had to split a model and found about ten ways to do it, but only one gave me a clean split without introducing gaps or bevels.

Edited by Guest

Yep, that'll do it!! LOL Glad you found it out.

I asked about the splitting of the model because I had to split a model and found about ten ways to do it, but only one gave me a clean split without introducing gaps or bevels.

Out of curiosity what way do u split them? I imported the STL into SolidWorks and manipulated it from there.

I am using 3D Coat for those ops. I create intersection and subtraction objects and perform the booleans in Surface mode. Volume mode will create bevels and gaps as it is working with Voxels and not direct mesh.

I do not have solid works. 3DS MAX just chokes on that and I have not tried Blender for those ops yet.

Edit: And 3D Coat also has a mode that allows for creation of ball and socket and other types of joints quite well.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I am using 3D Coat for those ops. I create intersection and subtraction objects and perform the booleans in Surface mode. Volume mode will create bevels and gaps as it is working with Voxels and not direct mesh.

I do not have solid works. 3DS MAX just chokes on that and I have not tried Blender for those ops yet.

Edit: And 3D Coat also has a mode that allows for creation of ball and socket and other types of joints quite well.

Thanks for the help I will definitely look into the software.

Thanks for the help I will definitely look into the software.

If you are looking for something like Solidworks, then 3D Coat will not be good for you. I use it for sculpting and such as well as modding my models.

It is more like Mudbox or Z-brush in functionality than a CAD package. But it can flip from Mesh to Voxels in a heartbeat.

But, I know it is something I love to use. It has some odd stuff that I just love. Cheap price and constantly being upgraded, unlike the big guys that just move menu items around and throw in a tiny thing here or there and then forget about it.

I would also look at Blender. I see so many features in it that 3DS MAX has not been able to implement.

But, I do all my combo modeling/modding in 3D Coat because it gets rid of the dreaded red stuff in x-ray view.

One of the coolest things I like is that I can bring an image in as a mesh. Really cuts down on bouncing around with logos and stuff.

Edit: If you are looking for a good cad package, you can check out Space Claim. It is expensive, but they have a free version (much lighter in functionality) called Design Spark you can look at to see how you like their philosophy. I know I do.

Edited by Guest