Gaps between merged models, Cura 2.5

14chris2011

Posted · Gaps between merged models, Cura 2.5

So when trying dual extrusion I noticed I had a major weakness at the boundary between then different materials. When I checked the sliced files I found there was actually a gap between the parts after they were sliced. I checked and the model doesn't have gaps in it which can be seen in the images below. I was hoping someone might be able to shine some light on this. Also as a test, I set both pieces to use the same extruder and I get the same gap in the sliced model.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have a setting that I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Christopher

qGOo4Kz.jpg

ISwIbGC.jpg

There's two settings which might influence this behaviour: merged models overlap and horizontal expansion.

Can you see if you can get this problem fixed by tweaking those?

If so, please post your before and after settings, for future reference.

If you have set the model to one extruder, I would think there is something about the model. If you could provide that I would be happy to take a look at it.

But, just a quick question, what did you make/cut the model in and are all the pivot points aligned?

And Bagel-orb is right. But I have never seen that happen to me and I have done several merged models.

Thank you both very much for your replies. It turns out that with any negative "Horizontal Expansion" (I had -0.1), no matter how large "Merged Meshes Overlap" is the model will never touch.

Once I set "Horizontal Expansion" to 0, it came together.

I hadn't realised "Horizontal Expansion" would be a factor.

Thanks again for the help.

Ps the part I was printing is Tri Spinner Dual Colour

Posted (edited) · Gaps between merged models, Cura 2.5
    Thank you both very much for your replies. It turns out that with any negative "Horizontal Expansion" (I had -0.1), no matter how large "Merged Meshes Overlap" is the model will never touch.

Yep, that'll do it!! LOL Glad you found it out.

I asked about the splitting of the model because I had to split a model and found about ten ways to do it, but only one gave me a clean split without introducing gaps or bevels.

Edited by Guest

Yep, that'll do it!! LOL Glad you found it out.

I asked about the splitting of the model because I had to split a model and found about ten ways to do it, but only one gave me a clean split without introducing gaps or bevels.

Out of curiosity what way do u split them? I imported the STL into SolidWorks and manipulated it from there.

I am using 3D Coat for those ops. I create intersection and subtraction objects and perform the booleans in Surface mode. Volume mode will create bevels and gaps as it is working with Voxels and not direct mesh.

I do not have solid works. 3DS MAX just chokes on that and I have not tried Blender for those ops yet.

Edit: And 3D Coat also has a mode that allows for creation of ball and socket and other types of joints quite well.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I am using 3D Coat for those ops. I create intersection and subtraction objects and perform the booleans in Surface mode. Volume mode will create bevels and gaps as it is working with Voxels and not direct mesh.

I do not have solid works. 3DS MAX just chokes on that and I have not tried Blender for those ops yet.

Edit: And 3D Coat also has a mode that allows for creation of ball and socket and other types of joints quite well.

Thanks for the help I will definitely look into the software.

Thanks for the help I will definitely look into the software.

If you are looking for something like Solidworks, then 3D Coat will not be good for you. I use it for sculpting and such as well as modding my models.

It is more like Mudbox or Z-brush in functionality than a CAD package. But it can flip from Mesh to Voxels in a heartbeat.

But, I know it is something I love to use. It has some odd stuff that I just love. Cheap price and constantly being upgraded, unlike the big guys that just move menu items around and throw in a tiny thing here or there and then forget about it.

I would also look at Blender. I see so many features in it that 3DS MAX has not been able to implement.

But, I do all my combo modeling/modding in 3D Coat because it gets rid of the dreaded red stuff in x-ray view.

One of the coolest things I like is that I can bring an image in as a mesh. Really cuts down on bouncing around with logos and stuff.

Edit: If you are looking for a good cad package, you can check out Space Claim. It is expensive, but they have a free version (much lighter in functionality) called Design Spark you can look at to see how you like their philosophy. I know I do.

Edited by Guest