sammo

UM2 screen burn

Posted · UM2 screen burn

I have 3 UM2's and they are all showing some signs of screen burn - one of the screens has become unreadable now so have ordered a replacement. ( after 2 years printing, pretty much 24/7 )

Does anyone know of a Custom GCODE string I can include at the end of a print to switch the screen off?

It looks like M117 will display a message, I was wondering if I display a blank message if that would have the same effect?

Posted · UM2 screen burn

Thanks for that, I'm a bit nervous about installing custom firmware - I've sent a message over to support at ultimaker - if it's not something that's supported at the moment, maybe it's something they could include in future firmware.

Posted (edited) · UM2 screen burn

If you buy new screens now, how are the chances the printer will survive another set? 2 years?

Anyway, this is one of the main reasons i use tinkerware. + some other extras ;-)

Edited by Guest

Posted · UM2 screen burn

In any case, it's an OLED screen so basically degradation is to be expected. Unfortunately it's a blue display and as such features the quickest degradation of all the OLED emitters.

At least on the Tinker firmware (not sure about stock, it's been a long time) you have the option to set the screen contrast, which gives you the possibility of reducing the brightness of the OLED and increasing the expected lifespan a great deal.