Better cooling fan for PCB board Ultimaker ?

Posted · Better cooling fan for PCB board Ultimaker ?

Better cooling fan for PCB board Ultimaker ?

I believe this is the exact cooling fan that ships with ultimaker.

http://www.miniinthebox.com/av-7525m12s-fan-for-electronics-diy-1-pieces-a-pack_p350029.html

I want to know is it worth buying a new one fro 5 euros and seeing if its quiter than my second ultimaker.

my first ultimaker now runs nice and quiet but my second ultimaker is getting louder and louder from the fan.

or is there a stronger better quality fan that is the same size specifications, so i dont need to start cutting pieces out of my ultimaker ?

many thanks.

Ian :-)

I had the same problem and simply opened the fan by peeling off the label, and put a little bit of grease on the axis of the fan. Since then it runs quiet as it did in the beginning. Perhaps no need to switch to another fan at all.

i opened the fan casing this morning and spotted that when i put a pen against the side of the turning fan, it will move loose and then grind against my object.

i cant imagine the fan part was molded wrongly ??? so i guess the alignment of the top plastic fan was not put on right.

i have not yet tried to remove the plastic plades and see if i can realign it ?

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I have insulated the transmission of vibrations between the fan and the rest of the machine by adding small pieces of EVA to all the bolts in the fan and original cover and also sanding the plywood in order not to touch the fan. It works two ways: The fan's sound is not amplified by the case and also the fan is subjected to less vibration, making it quieter.

It makes a big difference and it's really easy to implement. Actually, that could come standard in all new UMs. Just make the cover's hole for the fan 1 mm wider, and add some vibration absorbing washers. Softer spacers (white tubes) would also help!

Fan Insulation

If someone here wants dual-fan cooling for his PCB you can use one of my designs.