Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
THX1138

Could PTFE Bowden tube permit reduced nozzle temperature?

I've been printing on an Ultimaker 2 with a transparent PLA which comes out somewhat off-white/cream and I wonder whether it's because of the temperature (230 °C). If I print at a lower temperature, the print stops at some point, showing signs of under-extrusion as the nozzle seems to get blocked. I wonder if I could print at a lower temperature if the Bowden tube was PTFE instead the PFA tube I'm assuming the UM2 was supplied with. I figure that the PTFE would offer less resistance to the flow of filament.

assuming you are printing with standard nozzle sizes PLA at 230 is normally way too hot. Though fiction in the bowden can be a thing to check when haviong underextrusion, the most common factor is the TFM couler (formerly known as the teflon part) the white plastic thing in the head. Check and possibly replace that first.

Do you still have the old (black) Ultimaker 2 feeder? if so I would replace it for something better, the Ultimaker 2+ feeder is nice but mostly overpriced and/or difficult to source, so getting a bondtech is probably best.

http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/upgrade-kits/ultimaker/ultimaker-2-qr-extruder-upgrade-kit.html

• Like 1

assuming you are printing with standard nozzle sizes PLA at 230 is normally  way too hot. Though fiction in the bowden can be a thing to check when haviong underextrusion, the most common factor is the TFM couler (formerly known as the teflon part) the white plastic thing in the head. Check and possibly replace that first.

Do you still have the old (black) Ultimaker 2 feeder? if so I would replace it for something better, the Ultimaker 2+ feeder is nice but mostly overpriced and/or difficult to source, so getting a bondtech is probably best.

http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/upgrade-kits/ultimaker/ultimaker-2-qr-extruder-upgrade-kit.html

Thank you for this advice!

The Ultimaker belongs to my local maker space and the nozzle is 0.4 mm. The feeder is not the original but I don't know where it came from. I'll send an e-mail to the maker space mailing list and ask about the TFM (PTFE synonym?) coupler.

Edited by Guest