Cura 2.6 | Beta

SandervG

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

On a side note, yet related to Cura 2.6.1....

I've been looking to buy a Pi and use OctoPi for remote printing.  I see they still use 15.04   I'm sure this info is somewhere....but how would one get it to use the newest version of Cura?  (If there's documentation on how this is done, please let me know!)

You can still use Cura to slice to gcode and then upload it to OctoPi and print from there.

• Replies 139
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

You can still use Cura to slice to gcode and then upload it to OctoPi and print from there.

I think that's really the better option, come to think of it. Let Octo record/monitor and keep things simple.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

I think that's really the better option, come to think of it.  Let Octo record/monitor and keep things simple.

Yes. You'll have much more control over the slicing parameters, model orientation. Plus you'll have layerview to check if the print will work. And to top it all of, OctoPrintPlugin comes with Cura now!

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Yes. You'll have much more control over the slicing parameters, model orientation. Plus you'll have layerview to check if the print will work. And to top it all of, OctoPrintPlugin comes with Cura now!

How does the plugin work?

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

The "cubic" options offered in Cura 2 creates tetrahedrons with long straight paths, for omnidirectional strength with fast print speed.

Hex guys don't care about such things. ;)

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

How does the plugin work?

Go to the "Printers" pane of the preferences, and there should be a "Connect to OctoPrint" button. From there, it works much the same as printing to an Ultimaker 3.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

I would like to know if it is actually faster, or the 'infill print speed' can just be set higher. Because I don't believe a ~20% honeycomb infill will ever be printed at a high speed, as there are no long straight lines in that infill pattern. For the real printing speed, it won't matter if you set infill print speed to 50mm/s or 300mm/s for such short line pieces. I also think every line piece is printed twice, also increasing the width of the infill lines.

I'm not saying honeycomb infill is a bad idea, it's just way slower because there are no straights and no simple paths  in that infill. If you want the triangular infill to be stronger, you decrease infill print speed to 40-50mm/s as well.

I print with normal infill speeds (45-70mm/s) + Bondtech Feeder

My tests have been longer back but the honeycomb pattern was with a 50min pressure about 3min faster with the same parameters.

Here is my German thread https://ultimaker.com/en/community/34776-bestes-infill-muster

The "cubic" options offered in Cura 2 creates tetrahedrons with long straight paths, for omnidirectional strength with fast print speed.

Hex guys don't care about such things. ;)

The honeycomb pattern would only be a good alternative, for certain parts / materials advantageous!

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta
    The honeycomb pattern would only be a good alternative, for certain parts / materials advantageous!

Choice is always welcome.

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Hi @ahoeben, not sure if this is 100% correct.

I am fairly certain that it is. They were talking about a specific issue with Cura 2.6 beta, which had been reproduced and which has since been fixed. I pointed out two known workarounds for the time being.

This appeared in 2.4 which I reported.

Can I ask you where you reported it? The entirety of the Machine Settings view was done in my free time, and I am still the maintainer of that code as an external contributor. Unless issues are reported on github, I may not notice them (though I do my best to check the forum).

For Cura 2.6 it has undergone quite a bit of change to support multi-extrusion printers

Disappointed to hear this has still not been fixed!!

Have you actually tested this with the Cura 2.6 beta, or are you just assuming that it is not fixed because of another issue that has a known workaround and that has been fixed since then?

I have just finally upgraded 2.4 to 2.6.1 and yes it has been fixed, no problems now in amending the customised printer start/end gcode statements :)

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

I have just finally upgraded 2.4 to 2.6.1 and yes it has been fixed, no problems now in amending the customised printer start/end gcode statements :)

Whoo!

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

When are the travel paths optimized at Cura?

Cura has much more unnecessary travel ways, e.g. Opposite to S3D.

This is the only thing for me, where Cura still has great weaknesses

Here example:

_

Cura = up to 3 times in the same range, many unnecessary traverse paths

S3D = area complete with once finished, less travel paths = for certain parts, materials better printing results

This doesn't really look like a fair comparison. The Cura print has skin at places where S3D doesn't have that.

Could you please create a github issue so that this issue is on our radar?

We can further discuss there what the differences between Cura and S3D are in this respect.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.6 | Beta

This doesn't really look like a fair comparison. The Cura print has skin at places where S3D doesn't have that.

Could you please create a github issue so that this issue is on our radar?

We can further discuss there what the differences between Cura and S3D are in this respect.

If I'm allowed to give my 2cents about why I think that Cura travel paths are worse than s3d...

Cura, when does the infill or the toplayers, uses nearest neighbor, and that's fine, but every single line on a top layer is disconnected, and is only a travel movement, so is constantly looking for the closest one to do, instead of doing as big loops as possible (s3d has his loops closed). So cura zigzags much more, and s3d solves the path more clean.

Anyhow this is based only on my visual observations and way more time in front of the printer than a normal person should.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.6 | Beta

OK @bagel-orb, let's get on GitHub discuss further.

(Let me until the weekend time)

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura 2.6 | Beta

Thanks everyone for your feedback, you have been a great help!!

Today we launched Cura 2.7 Beta, so this thread will be closed. Check out this post if you want to know more about what latest features we have prepared for you :)